Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another day another hand (or two)!

Options
  • 12-01-2005 3:26pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Two hands from last night that I noted and reviewed today. I wasnt happy with my play in either but as it turns out, for once I did the right thing for generally the wrong reasons :)

I get 99 in late positon on a table where I have Irene, Des, and Ettie on the right and two chinese guys (including Lamb Chop) and Pat Crowe and later Joe O'Neill on my left. "Rocks on the right of me, loonies on the left here I am, stuck in the middle with youuuuuu!"

Lots of limpers so I raise to drive out any low suited connectors. 9's are right on the dividing line of probability, you are as likely to see no over cards on the flop as you are to get them. I want only the big card players playing so I know where I am.

Flop comes KQT rainbow and ettie shoves 575 all in, into a pot of about 1500. I bemoan my poor luck and after gazing at them for a while I drop the hand (well d'uh DeV!). Then I had pangs of regret for what I consider my 6 clean outs... I read ettie for two pair and looking for value from the draws. I didnt find out what she had but I would have called if you'd given me my cards back. It would have been a terrible call in retrospect but at the time I did the right thing and then regretted it , lol!

Second hand is absolutely nuts. I took last nights tournie as a practise to improve my reading of people and tried to rely on my reads a bit more then usual. It had been working very well for me all night when I get moved back to Irene's table who has been dilligently collecting every chip in sight.

She's SB and I've 56c in the BB.
    I watch her closely and when she looks at her cards, theres a strong look of disgust momentaraily. She completes and I even say to her "You have utter rags in Irene, I should raise you out of this pot!" but I dont, I just check, which is a stupid mistake.

The flop comes down 246 rainbow. So, top pair, sh|tty kicker and a middle pin for a straight. Worth a raise of 800 I think (still annoyed I didnt raise preflop). She reraises to 2200 and I call, realising after that I've now pot committed myself as well... too late of course! Turn comes a T of clubs and Irene goes all in. Now I read Irene for really poor cards so I *should* be backing off here, in fact I should have been backing off when its reraised! Now I've got myself into a world of pain and I have to call because I am so far into this pot with so little left in my stack. Oh, great play Tom!

Irene turns over 2,4 and while I realise this leaves me in a world of pain, I'm oddly very happy because I was dead right. I played like a goon but my read was bang on, lol! I realise that I'm probably not in as bad a shape as I could (and *should*) be. Its actually a good call as it turns out as I'm was getting ~7K from the pot for ~2K but I could as easily be facing a made straight, so I'm lucky to be even drawing to any card for a win!

I quickly mentally note that I can win with a 3,5,6, or ten, so I dont feel too bad and a 3 pops on the river to double me through.

Card open.. I play!! No lose gamble!!

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

DeVore wrote:
    I get 99 in late positon

Flop comes KQT rainbow and ettie shoves 575 all in, into a pot of about 1500. Then I had pangs of regret for what I consider my 6 clean outs
    Ettie bets when she's got a strong hand, she goes all-in when she doesn't necessarily have a great hand. I would have been tempted to call just to find out, depending of course on who was left to act etc. You might have found her with just a lone J plus a flush draw or something.
    DeVore wrote:
    She's SB and I've 56c in the BB.
    I watch her closely and when she looks at her cards, theres a strong look of disgust momentaraily.

The flop comes down 246 rainbow. So, top pair, sh|tty kicker and a middle pin for a straight. Worth a raise of 800 I think (still annoyed I didnt raise preflop). She reraises to 2200 and I call, realising after that I've now pot committed myself as well... too late of course! Turn comes a T of clubs and Irene goes all in. Now I read Irene for really poor cards so I *should* be backing off here, in fact I should have been backing off when its reraised! Now I've got myself into a world of pain and I have to call because I am so far into this pot with so little left in my stack. Oh, great play Tom!

Irene turns over 2,4 I quickly mentally note that I can win with a 3,5,6, or ten, so I dont feel too bad and a 3 pops on the river to double me through.

Card open.. I play!! No lose gamble!!

DeV.
    Jambag. But good "gamble, no lose" strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

Hmm.

Imo:

Good read on player at start of hand = Good

Not relating texture of flop to your read of her hand = Poor

Testing the strength of her hand with a raise = Good

Not recognising her 'I've hit a hand and now I'm going to maul you' expression and inability to release a very marginal hand to a large check raise from a solid player = V. Poor

Use of 20/20 hindsight to mathematically justify a weak call and consequent outdraw = Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Spiritus wrote:
    Use of 20/20 hindsight to mathematically justify a weak call and consequent outdraw = Priceless.
    lol

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ah now, I'm not doing that!! :) I've clearly said that it was terrible play that *turns out* to be an ok call. As I noted I could have been facing a made straight or a better 6 etc.
    If I was back there again I'd drop it!

>for once I did the right thing for generally the wrong reasons

DeV.

DeVore wrote:
    Its actually a good call as it turns out as I'm was getting ~7K from the pot for ~2K but I could as easily be facing a made straight, so I'm lucky to be even drawing to any card for a win!

I quickly mentally note that I can win with a 3,5,6, or ten, so I dont feel too bad and a 3 pops on the river to double me through.

DeV.

I note that it only becomes a 'good' call when you see exactly what hand she holds. I furthur note that 'good' has now been downgraded to 'ok'.

When all the chips were in and both hands were exposed you have 12 outs to win outright.You, however, committed all your remaining chips to call an all in bet on the turn which had been preceded by a hefty checkraise on the flop with a pair of 6's and an insipid kicker when in your own mind you were behind.

Prosecution moves that 'good' be struck from 'good call' in the original post and replaced with 'tilty'.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Defense pleads with the magistrate that the entire tone of the piece makes it clear that the defendant did not consider his plays to be "good" and that "turns out to be a good call" implies that it is on the right side of the odds through no skill of the player!

The defence further implies that the prosecution is a weenie who folds to any raise... :p

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

ORDER ORDER!!!!!

this court finds that in the matter of Rock vs Jackal, both parties are guilty and are sentenced to a heads up battle before the freeroll tonight!!!

So totally on, it hurts.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Weapons of choice can be drawn from here

DeVore wrote:
    The defence further implies that the prosecution is a weenie who folds to any raise... :p

DeV.

Feel free to raise me at any time :) especially when I limp utg.

When are we doing this headsup thing then? I'll need to practice drawing to inside straights. ;)

• Advertisement

Anytime. (You in for the FR tonight?)

Will there be rebuys? :)

You keep limping with those aces and I'll keep cracking them with 2 raggy pair :)

DeV.

Lets make it interesting.

I'll play you in a series of headsup games over the course of the next week or two, that way we can get a fair sample size from which to draw comparisons of our styles - ie Mine versus the 'I think I'm behind...but I can't bear the thought of having to sit here tilting away in the knowledge that you have outplayed me so can I please call off the rest of my chips please'

And re the raggy 2 pair cracking aces, I'm sure you will. Just off the top of my head, 2 pair (raggy or otherwise) flops something like once in fifty times so keep plugging away and remember...everytime you don't flop that stealth two pair it just means that that dream flop is another hand closer :)

Hmm, I've just drawn to runner runner three times in a row (running?).. maybe practice does make perfect!

;)

yes Mr Omg I've got jacks and someone looked at their chips in a funny way... fold!

DeV.

Ok thats it.

Round one: 7:30pm in the Fitz

Don't forget to bring your calculator, not that you'll use it for anything (except maybe as a cardprotector) :)

Advertisement