Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Building's Name

Options
  • 12-01-2005 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

The new INS Building is to be called the Lloyd Institute after two former Provosts, a father and son, the latter being the Provost who oversaw the foundation of the Engineering School in 1841.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Yay..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think the Kealy Institute is a far better name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

What does INS stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Information systems Neuroscience & Statistics

I thought it was Institute of Neuroscience but aodh's explanation makes far more sense.

• Advertisement

Sounds too much like the bank methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

John2 wrote:
    I thought it was Institute of Neuroscience but aodh's explanation makes far more sense.

Yeah, aodh_rua's right, originally the building was supposed to be the purely for Information Systems, with high-performance computing and all that lark, but after the college realised they couldn't afford to build it and do all the necessary repairs to the old Stats department, they decided to just lob an extra story on and throw the Stats crowd in as well. After running out of money for the second time, they noticed that the Neuroscience department had just been given a huge grant for one reason or another, so they now have a story or two in return for their monetary contribution.

As far as I know this whole money thing is why it still isn't open, it was supposed to be finished at the start of Michealmas from what I hear.

Thraktor wrote:
    after the college realised they couldn't afford to build it and do all the necessary repairs to the old Stats department, they decided to just lob an extra story on and throw the Stats crowd in as well.

That's a strange one now...from what I heard, Stats were always planning on moving. Maybe I'm wrong, but Dentistry had a deal going to rob their building. They've already half moved out...and dentistry have put up a swipe door or two too I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Whatever the fukk its called, I'll be doing most of my lectures there next year so it better be nice. Aras an Phiarsaigh is just so snug I don't want to leave it. I've gotten to the stage where even going to the arts block is a chore. And forget about the Hamilton bld'ing.

I've seen the lecture rooms there actually - went exploring - lots of small ones. Kinda comfy chairs.

• Advertisement

Thraktor wrote:
    As far as I know this whole money thing is why it still isn't open, it was supposed to be finished at the start of Michealmas from what I hear.

The delays are due to some outstanding snags in the building not the money. I think the main issue is with leaks. It should be sorted in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

aodh_rua wrote:
    The delays are due to some outstanding snags in the building not the money. I think the main issue is with leaks. It should be sorted in the coming weeks.
    did they ever get the network h/w in there? last i heard (which was late nov.) that was the main dely as to why people hadn't started moving in. but they expected everyone to move in over xmas at that time.........

I think some of the people with offices have started to move in. There's been some meetings in there too. Still, I want our common room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

The Lloyds building. Isn't there one already?

:rolleyes:

There is an issue with some of the network kit - it hasn't passed ISS quality standards yet. I think the snag list had about 10 outstanding issues at the start of term so hopefully they're being worked through - I'm looking forward to moving into my new office.

I was in there today, looks good. Nice lecture theatres, even if the front row is insanely close to the screen. It'll be nice to see it when all the wires are put away and the furniture is all in place. Although the stairwell door on the top floor already has broken glass and another of the doors on one of the lower floors is losing it's sealing. Cowboys, Ted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

ISS quality standards

expensive and inefficent?

Advertisement