Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Speakers Corner

• 12-01-2005 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Cork's Speakers Corner/ Cúinne na gCainteoirí is to commence for the first
    time on Sunday the 16th of January. It will be taking place by the Crawford
    Gallery railings in Emmet Place every Sunday from 2pm till 6pm. This is the initiative of Rossa Ó Snodaigh (Kíla) who has set up similar free speech
    forums in Dublin and Galway.

Orators, Debaters, Ranters, Ravers, Poets and Agitators* are all welcome to have their say and practice their right to free speech.

Veteran speakers from Dublin's Speakers Square are making the trip down to help get things get up and running. But they don't think that Corkonians will need much encouragement. They're hoping the slogan 'You'll never find a Cork man short for words' will ring true on Sunday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

excellant,do you have to sign up before hand or what?also you might want to announce the news on the indymedia newswire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

excellant,do you have to sign up before hand or what?also you might want to announce the news on the indymedia newswire.

i'm assuming anyone who turns up can speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

eheheh this should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

Is this something like the speakers at Hyde park in London?

It was during some bus-top tour that it was mentioned -
    You have to stand on a box, at least 6 inches high, so that you are no longer on British soil - you can say what you like as long as it doesn't insult the crown or doesn't undermine anybody's character.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    Bunreacht na hÉireann, Article 40, Section 6. (Odd that it's in the "Youth Zone" on the Taoiseach's site. Perhaps Bertie's trying to foment a revolution? :))

The right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.
    Unfortunately Cork people are woeful on the next point:
    The right of the citizens to assemble [peaceably and without arms.]
    Trying to organise Cork people to assemble for anything is like trying to herd cats.

However, might toddle along and stand a bit away looking menacing.

(While I think of it, anyone know where I can buy a bound copy of the constitution? I know there's a government publisher, but I can't find it offhand.)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Jim Comic

i think 'the stationery office' are the govt pubklisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

(While I think of it, anyone know where I can buy a bound copy of the constitution? I know there's a government publisher, but I can't find it offhand.)

I bought one in Eason's a while back. It's a small blue paperback book and only costs a few yoyo. Go to the back of Easons, and turn right into that L-section and it's somewhere on the right handside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nice one dudara.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Is this something like the speakers at Hyde park in London?

It was during some bus-top tour that it was mentioned -
    You have to stand on a box, at least 6 inches high, so that you are no longer on British soil - you can say what you like as long as it doesn't insult the crown or doesn't undermine anybody's character.

Somehow I'd say the standing on a box is to get you a bit up above the crowd and not to be no longer on british soil - otherwise people in 2 (and above) storey houses would be no longer on british soil..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

saw this last sunday and it was brilliant. Good if you've got a bit of time on your hands.

Advertisement