Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Excel Question

• 12-01-2005 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

Ok this seems like it should be simple to do but I can't get it to work!

I have an excel spreadsheet. It has a column of numbers. I want to get the last number in that column and use that number in a different cell. The column is not a fixed length. So how do I do it?

I can get the index of the last element using COUNT(C2: C100) which returns the number of columns that have values in them. As there is always a value in this column I use this number and add 1. Thus giving me the column index. But how do I use that value (assume it's in a cell X1) in the reference to the other cell. Something like '=C(X1)' (Where X1 is say 17 and '=C17' would work) but obviously that doesn't work .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

Perhaps a wild shot but have you tried using the INDIRECT function?
    Returns the reference specified by a text string. References are immediately evaluated to display their contents. Use INDIRECT when you want to change the reference to a cell within a formula without changing the formula itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Thank you. That does the trick nicely.

Advertisement