Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed of download

Options
  • 12-01-2005 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

My broadband modem connection tells me I have 576Kbps speed.

When I download a document the download display shows an initial high speed which falls very rapidly (10secs) to about 90kbs at which point it continues to fall at a more moderate .1Kb per second. I have only ever seen it go as low as about 65Kbs.
    What is going on? Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

yes, that is normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

576Kbps = 576/8 kB/sec = 72kB/sec. I assume your speed is being misreported, and your actualy speed is 512kbps, which is 64kB/sec.

Either way, your speed is normal. THe surge of really fast speed is just because as you are selecting the location where you want to save the file, your browser has already begun saving the file. Once you choose the location, the timer starts on the download, but in reality it should have started a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Usually the speed the ISP states is about 8-10 times the actuall transfer speed.
    My NTL 1.5 MB/s lines actual max transfer speed is on average 175-200kb/s when downloading a file. On eircoms 512kb/s line thats about 50-65kb/s when downloading a file. So it is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Internet Explorer counts the bytes downloaded from the start of the actual download ( to a temporary file), but it only starts timing from the point you actually select the downloaded location. Hence by the time you select the location it has downloaded a whack already. Then it gradually averages out to a normal pace. Notice how at the end it copies the temporary download to your selected location.

The longer you leave it before you pick the location - the faster the apparent great initial speed.

576Kbps = 576/8 kB/sec = 72kB/sec. I assume your speed is being misreported, and your actualy speed is 512kbps, which is 64kB/sec.

Either way, your speed is normal. THe surge of really fast speed is just because as you are selecting the location where you want to save the file, your browser has already begun saving the file. Once you choose the location, the timer starts on the download, but in reality it should have started a while ago.

yep probably the initual burst. you have to download really big file(I use mozilla's bandwidth tester extension(http://jgillick.nettripper.com/bandwidthtest/) or just go to apple website and start downloading itunes(30megs)) nd wherever the speed stops increasing or decreasing is your true speed.

wow, 175-200kb/s!

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote:
    wow, 175-200kb/s!

Sometimes higher. Got an average of of 215kb/s of a download off heaton.net's FTP server.

Infini wrote:
    Sometimes higher. Got an average of of 215kb/s of a download off heaton.net's FTP server.

wowza!

stop posting all those speeds, or I may dehydrate drooling over them. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RedRules5

If 50-60kbs is normal for a broadband connection then what are people with dial ups getting? For instance the download that prompted the question was 20MB and took approx 2 minutes (from memory) how long would a dial up take? Just to reassure me that this is worth it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

RedRules5 wrote:
    For instance the download that prompted the question was 20MB and took approx 2 minutes (from memory) how long would a dial up take? Just to reassure me that this is worth it.

Several weeks! Surely you have had dial up at some stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RedRules5

I did for about a week, I remember feeling very annoyed that week, going around breaking things and shouting at people for some unknown reason, couldn't work out why as I am normally such a nice quiet guy.

Never downloaded anything because going from page to page was killing me so rarely used the net. Now I rarely watch the tv. So to answer my own question it is worth it.

• Advertisement

I had dial-up myself.... for about 2 weeks. I don't know how people ever survived on thm kind of connections. I only had it that long but got an upgrade to broadband as soon as i found how crap the speeds were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I usually get an average of 300kb/s, the highest I got was around 400kb/s

RedRules5 wrote:
    If 50-60kbs is normal for a broadband connection then what are people with dial ups getting? For instance the download that prompted the question was 20MB and took approx 2 minutes (from memory) how long would a dial up take? Just to reassure me that this is worth it.

dial up, if it was running at full speed which is 5.6bk/s would take approximatelly 55minutes

now with a more real speed which is approx.. 3.3kb/s it would take 1 hour 30 minutes

download this cool application
    download time calculator

Skyuser wrote:

You must be in UK? or at least out of Ireland?

Skyuser wrote:

Even I dont get that high unless your on IBB's 3MB/s package. I dont know any other ISP in the country with speeds that high on their packages.

Nope, I'm in Sligo. Dunno wat company though, it's through my college connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Infini wrote:

yeah i have the NTL 1.5Mb as well... that my average is around 190 -> 200 kb/s... sweet :D

Skyuser wrote:
    Nope, I'm in Sligo. Dunno wat company though, it's through my college connection.

Well that explains it. Colleges can usually cut some sweet deals with the ISP's for high speeds. Consider yourself lucky mate! :)

And it's all FREE..... :D

Skyuser wrote:
    And it's all FREE..... :D

DAMN YOU, YOU LUCKY BAAAAASSSSTTTARDDD!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thebigdude

Infini wrote:
    Even I dont get that high unless your on IBB's 3MB/s package. I dont know any other ISP in the country with speeds that high on their packages.

http://www.cablesurf.com/

9Mb/s for only 40/month unlimited usage. Only in Dungarvan.

bigdude, it they have soooo much restrictions, that you will just not sign up with them

Skyuser, are one lucky dude, btw, do you have that connection at home or in the uni? meaning that if it's within university that doesn't count, we are talking about homes :D

I live on campus, it's da same connection. Only thing is, I can't login to Msn Messenger

Dam your so lucky. If only they had that cable BB service in dublin.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thebigdude

UCD belfield has wireless installed in some of their residences... (my classmate is in Glenomena residence on campus) and he gets 300-400KB/s... maybe even higher if late at night... has to go through the uni proxy, so p2p is retarded i guess, but it's not password protected or MAC-specific. I brought my lappy and i could get about 200KB/s from usenet even outside the residence on the bench. I guess anyone could do it since you don't have to be a student to be in the courtyard or anything...

Wow, free internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Zoink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

collages usually block some ports though no??? like my office connection, about 250 - 350 kb/s on every pc but certain ports blocked, p2p etc, though ftp is allowed, lol

Advertisement