Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM alarms

Options
  • 12-01-2005 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Folks,
    as it might become a prerequsite in the future for the big calibre rifles and handguns that an you might need a monitored alarm system.Which seems to cost the proveribal arm,leg and right nut to instal,monitor and be a professor to figure out if it's workings.As well as that it seems to satisfy the pre requsites of what any Supers are looking for,[subject to goalpost moving of course :rolleyes: ]I came across this gadjet it is a GSM alarm that works on the same principle of the mobile phone.Pretty reasonable.

www.vangaurd.co.uk. [security section]

I have no connection with this company, or commerical intrest,blah,blah,blah,yada yada.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

I must be doing something wrong, when I hit the link it directs me to a web hosting site, so far the best quote I have is 1400.00 not cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Couldn't get that link to work either.

Been in touch whith a collegue who does alarms in his spare time,

HIS SOLUTION

He says that you can hook up an auto dialer to your existing alarm system which can play a prerecorded message to any of five numbers alerting them when the alarm goes off in essence thee same senario as a monitored alarm.

He has done it previously and says the unit is around E200 thats providing you have an alarm in your house.

He also said if you dont have an alarm on the house to keep cost down just alarm the safe or the area where the safe is.

Whatever you choose it looks like the autodialer does the same job as a monitored alarm except its ringing you and your not paying whoever runs the traditional monitored alarm systems.

My understanding of monitored alarms is that they ring you to tell you that your alarm is going off (this autodialler cuts out the middle man) and they ring the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

I had an alarm installed last year, six IR units, front and back door vibration, garage door and windows, with an autodialer, for a grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

DOH!!! :o:o
    It's www.vangadgets.co.uk

Thats what you get for having three or more windows on the machine open at once.
    One advantage i see to this that the system is GSM.that makes it a lot more difficult to knock out than by simply cutting exposed phone lines.My landline is too vunerable to being knocked out by cutting or having a storm felled tree or branch knocking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

As a well known Meath man would say "Spot On " my alarm man is coming over this evening, I will show him the link and see what he says, my only concern is that the "monitored alarm" people would not accept the system without a cert of compliance, I will work on it and see what happens, again well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

That gizmo your talking about is called a digital communicator. They're not rocket science to install and most good alarm control panels are equipped to take them. One tip, if you get one, get it to ring you or a friend - dont get them to dial a Gardai station - its against the law, it will seriously annoy them and I believe there's a substantial fine. There's a wholesalers who are very cheap for all that kind of stuff, I can't think of the name but its up an alleyway opposite Fagans pub in Drumcondra - I can dig it out if anyone wants it. They also sell these great outdoor camera's for only around €80 which are activated by movement on your driveway. I have one, its great for sorting out genuine callers from all the rest and you can get a unit to plug into it which will activate your video for (I think) about another €120 or so. Might be enough to convince your local firearms officer to sign on the dotted line...... or I suppose it could also convince him that your completely paranoid about personal safety......mmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Chipboard,
    I would be appreciative if you would dig out that company name and post or PM me with it.Always on the lookout for equipment suppliers.

as you say it is not done to alert the gaurds with the dialler.However, you could possibly use this as a "saftey point" with the FAO.Saying that as you have such dangerous weapons in the premises would it not be better that the gardai get a quicker alert than thru a middleman? I concived this idea of the dialler as a "stand alone" system rather than an intregrated part of the monitored alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Chipboard,
    I would be appreciative if you would dig out that company name and post or PM me with it.Always on the lookout for equipment suppliers.

as you say it is not done to alert the gaurds with the dialler.However, you could possibly use this as a "saftey point" with the FAO.Saying that as you have such dangerous weapons in the premises would it not be better that the gardai get a quicker alert than thru a middleman? I concived this idea of the dialler as a "stand alone" system rather than an intregrated part of the monitored alarm system.

Glock, i think i got the answer on this a few years ago. if you have more then 3 false calls to a house in a six month period -- the police will not respond to the 4th. Not too sure if this is still valid now.

On the alarm thingy, I would say there is a lot of options here. remote video over the web, email, sms alerts -- there is a lot of options if you feel you need em. And dont ignore ebay as a way of picking up remote camera and remote recording.

Also if you check in google for 'home automation' you will see loads of stuff that is available. I am sure the local Super would be way impressed.

Advertisement