Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Guitar Riff Ever?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

ether wrote:
    sorry thats what I call Mustaine, album credits go to Hetfield, Ulrich and Mustaine, thats why I said he co- wrote it.
    Hetfield wrote the lyrics, and Ulrich added a few beats to it afaik. Mustaine wrote most of the music (riffs, solo and layout)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Deftones - The end of Fireal
    Pantera - Floods (Its the only solo that gives me shivers in my spine)
    Slayer - Postmortem (the riff before it goes into the real start of Raining Blood)
    Alice In Chains - The end of Shame In You

There's more.... I just can't think of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

One that I really like from recent times is the opening riff on the new Mastodon album. Kashmir is always a classic too. My all time favourite though is Sister Ray by the Velvet Underground. I seriously suggest you all check that out, it's very simple but so so effective. Three chords, 17 minutes. It's off the White Light/White Heat album. The recording process involved each of them playing so loud as to drown the others out as they were all pissing each other off during that album (Cale left soon after). Once you've tried the studio versions, try the 45 minute version from the Quine Tapes box set :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

If I could only take one riff with me to a desert island it would be.........Highway to Hell - AC/DC
    Da da da..... da da da..... da da da...da da da.....da .....da da....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Highway To Hell is just one of those riffs that does things to me.

I'm also extremely fond of Moneytalks and Riff Raff. They're just... rock'n'roll. Simple, but really, really effective.

Iron Maiden's Holy Smoke, Hallowed Be Thy Name, and The Trooper are sodding brilliant, too.

Meh, I'm sure I've said it all before somewhere. There are thousands of the things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Beat it.. MJ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

Sickened no one has mentioned this, Steve Vai - Sisters.

also

Yngwie malmsteen - Black Star.
    Pantera - This Love.
    Pantera - Cemetary Gates.
    Pantera - 5 Minutes Alone.
    Megadeth - In My Darkest Hour.
    Stevie Ray Vaughan's Version - Little Wing.
    Muse - Stockholm Syndrome.
    Iron Maiden - The Trooper.
    Steve Vai - For The Love of God.

and you have to love classics such as Crazy Train, Poison and Diary of a Madman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Shrimp wrote:
    Beat it.. MJ..
    feckin class riff!

just remembered 1:
    hit the lights - metallica (sure mustaine probly wrote that too :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Jimi Hendrix and the Band of Gypsys: Machine Gun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

sweet child o mine - guns n'roses
    kashmir-led zeppelin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
    Pantera - Revolution Is My Name
    Metallica - Seek And Destroy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Much as I hate the band, the riff from Last Resort by Papa Roach kicks huge ass. Also Opeth, The Funeral Portrait. :)

Advertisement