Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Cap

• 13-01-2005 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Wondering if any of you with digiweb have had ur speed trottled down as per there emails
    " Your traffic is currently at 10475 MB as this is a HomeJet service your traffic quota should not exceed 10000 MB. If your traffic increasingly exceeds this quota your service speed will be restricted to 64k download and 32k upload. :eek: We do not charge an additional fee for over quota accounts and apply this restriction instead. Your account would be reviewed on a weekly basis until your traffic has dropped below your Quota."

Thanks
    Dec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

deckie27 wrote:
    Wondering if any of you with digiweb have had ur speed trottled down as per there emails
    " Your traffic is currently at 10475 MB as this is a HomeJet service your traffic quota should not exceed 10000 MB. If your traffic increasingly exceeds this quota your service speed will be restricted to 64k download and 32k upload. :eek: We do not charge an additional fee for over quota accounts and apply this restriction instead. Your account would be reviewed on a weekly basis until your traffic has dropped below your Quota."

Thanks
    Dec

Dgiiweb throttle EVERYTHING mate. You dont know how many people have said the samething about this. You should contact CyberGhost about this. He'll have a field day telling you how bad they are, he having it himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I have read a lot of cyberghosts posts. I understand the way they trottle p2p but I can still manage a few/couple of gig a day on different things.
    But will they really cut it to 64k download and 32k upload

Dec

/* edit. typo */

deckie27 wrote:
    I have read a lot of cyberghosts posts. I understand the way they trottle p2p but I can still manage a few/couple of gig a day
    But will they really cut it to 64k download and 32k upload

Dec

They probably would. They don't seem to have a very friendly service and seem to be very rude to people from what I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'm curious Infini - where does this dislike you have for Digiweb come from? Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, but your statements so far seem to be based purely on heresay and gossip than any real evidence.

Just to make clear - I'm not, nor ever have been an employee of Digiweb, and I have no particular like or dislike of the company or the service they provide. But this seems to me like the company playing by the rules they've set out, albeit rather strictly. In fact, you could view it as 'friendly' that they sent out a memo to deckie27 informing him/her of their infringement without actually taking any action this time.

Feel free to disagree with me, but I'd just prefer to see some evidence than idle speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Axl

As far I understand from reading their sales stuff - their caps are shown in the sales info. you should know there is a cap.
    Also - if someone else was taking the piss - and downloadin a gig a day and you felt you were not getting bandwidth, would you complain?
    As for throttling - my experience with different ISPs tells me that ALL the ISPs do some type of throttling. Since P2P came out - years ago - there were ISPs sunk as they could not handle the traffic. Things have changed and it would be simpler to do throttling now with certain hardware and or software systems.
    Im also curious - if you are that unhappy about the service, especially Cyberghost - why not simply write in and ask to be dropped out of contract? I dont know if they will allow - worth a try in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Axl wrote:
    Also - if someone else was taking the piss - and downloadin a gig a day

how is download 1 gig a day taking the piss it only takes just over 4 hours to download 1 gig
    the download limit on ntl is 1 gig a day
    im on eircoms dsl(cap not enforced)and i have never noticed a reduction in speed due to no cap being enforced

It depends on your contention line to be honest. If you're on the same line as a couple of other high-bandwidth users, there's no doubt that your connection will suffer. Personally, I'm on Netsource Origin Plus and so I have a 16GB per month cap. Downloading 1GB per day would see me go through that cap nearly twice over.

As it happens, I've done that more than once, but Netsource have been very nice about it. However, I know that if they chose to enforce it more strictly, it would be well within their rights, and I couldn't really argue against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

mr_angry wrote:
    I'm curious Infini - where does this dislike you have for Digiweb come from? Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, but your statements so far seem to be based purely on heresay and gossip than any real evidence.

Just to make clear - I'm not, nor ever have been an employee of Digiweb, and I have no particular like or dislike of the company or the service they provide. But this seems to me like the company playing by the rules they've set out, albeit rather strictly. In fact, you could view it as 'friendly' that they sent out a memo to deckie27 informing him/her of their infringement without actually taking any action this time.

Feel free to disagree with me, but I'd just prefer to see some evidence than idle speculation.

try this link for evidence
    click

friendly? I have had so many problems many times I called them and they were like hmm....... hmm....... and couldn't help me with anything, before I signed up they were very enthusiastic but after I signed up their charisma vanished somewhere.

they told me if they'd ever throttle me they'd inform me first, they throttled without informing or anything, and I didn't even download much(like 2 gigs in the first week), and then denied it, finally of the support people said that they really do throttle, they don't throttle like from 100kb/s to 30 or 45, they throttle you down to 5-10kb/s, is 5kb/s fair access policy?

their pings are aweful, over 200 usually, I posted screenshots, which makes gaming impossible and webpages take a long time to open.

so, if downloading is impossible and gaming is impossible, which should be possible, and I have to pay them 107 euro pm, do you I think I will like them?

Well, there you go, strait from the source of an unhappy customer. In anycase they should at least try and offer a better service. They do throttle P2P but they shouldn't as while there is nothing but junk on most of the other clients like kazaa and so, there are legal purposes. Besides has anybody heard of throttling on other ISP's. NTL are pretty friendly about their caps. They actually dont care if you use more than 1GB a day but ask that you keep to within 30GB a month.

actually ntl set 30gb cap not because they had bandwidth problem but beucase the movie/music industry forced them to. I read that somewhere, don't remember where, but it said that caused lots of UK customers to move to BT

• Advertisement

If that's true I'd be really pissed off about it. Besides the way things are going I'd say that TV will be much less of a thing in 20 years as people would prefer to download them off the internet. No more missed TV shows for me! :D

Infini wrote:
    If that's true I'd be really pissed off about it. Besides the way things are going I'd say that TV will be much less of a thing in 20 years as people would prefer to download them off the internet. No more missed TV shows for me! :D

ah, found it, here's the link,
    click

Question answered CyberGhost, thank you.

mr_angry wrote:

*double post*

again because pages take years to load

mr_angry wrote:

You are welcome mate :)

They can bitch, They can whine, They can go sodomise themselves with retractable batons for all I care but they're only delaying the inevitable change.
    The sooner they learn that trying to stop it is futile the sooner they start working on realistic alternatives for our generation.

Infini wrote:
    They can bitch, They can whine, They can go sodomise themselves with retractable batons for all I care but they're only delaying the inevitable change.
    The sooner they learn that trying to stop it is futile the sooner they start working on realistic alternatives for our generation.

actually no, it's us that are going south

have a loot at this:
    clickme
    I think the market needs to accept that the days of unlimited usage for all are over

Actually it would be an increase in the cap for myself and in anycase I usually dont download over the maximum cap anyway.
    Dont know why their planning to cut the download cap on the 1MB so drastically though. Last I heard they were cutting it to 20GB.
    Note: This thread is starting to go a little off topic...

Infini wrote:
    Note: This thread is starting to go a little off topic...

lol, where is Moriarty when the world needs him?

CyberGhost wrote:
    lol, where is Moriarty when the world needs him?

Hiding somewhere waiting for an exuse to close a thread probably.

• Advertisement

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I was throttled by Digiweb pretty soon after using the service - presumably combination of downloading Half-Life 2 (5gb) and a lot of usage of internet radio/P2P. I'm sure it was a fair cop, but since I wasn't then monitoring my own bandwidth, it would have been nice if Digiweb themselves had a page where you could monitor your usage. When I asked about this back last August I was told it would happen soon, but still no sign of it.

My experience with ringing their customer support staff has been pleasant and efficient - I give them a thumbs-up for that. I'm probably leaving their service soon since the combination of NTL's better offering with the opportunity to save money/piss of Eircom by getting rid of my landline is too tempting not to. But I leave on good terms.

P.

With customer services at these companies it sems to be down to who your talking to. Since your going to NTL you'll never regret the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Oceanclub

Were you throthled to 64/32

Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

I've been throttled down to basically a 28k modem speed 12 days ago, after they cut my connection "by mistake". I'm calling every 3/4 days and they still say I'm above the 20 gigs monthly cap. How can that be? I haven't been using it at all, it's just impossible. Do they check it once a week?
    They're nice on the phone, but they provide a terrible service. I had been with Netsource for a year and I believed to move to a higher cap with Digiweb, but now I discovered thet their cap is for the entire traffic (down+up), thing that they clearly avoided to specify on the contract.
    After 5 months with them I went above the cap just once because I was obviously not aware of the upload factor and now I have to pay 3 or 4 weeks of no service?
    I also ordered the no cap 1 Mb service, which I couldn't get because of line limitations, and the guy who got the order by phone and email (some Shane) just "forgot" it, so I had to wait a month, after several emails and calls, to discover I couldn't get it.
    This is not how you deal business, this way they won't get far in the long run.
    Just don't go with Digiweb DSL, there simply is no reason why you should choose them.
    Sztraik

Advertisement