Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Gaming moments (spoiler tags please)

Options
  • 13-01-2005 1:06am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Whats your favourite moments from videogames?

1. That scene form FFVII
    Well I wasn't expecting it. There were some fantastic scenes in the game but this one had the most impact. It was the first time that a videogame had brought me close to tears. From then on I was even more hooked since I wanted to find out if wasn't in vain. And I wanted to kill sephiroth for what he did!

2. Panzer Dragoon Saga
    All through the game you witnessed the relationship between Edge and Azel develope but didn't think anything could become of it since Azel was a drone and had quite robotic emotions. When she admitted to herself that she loved him before the last boss it was quite shock. And then the horrible ending. Edge gets lost in the Sestern computer system forever and Azel rides off in search of him.

3. Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Panzer Dragoon Saga spoiler as well
    The 2 minute scene in the forbidden zone just before the fight with Abadd. The fate of Azel from the Panzer Dragoon Saga and the truth about Orta is revealed. I felt joy when Orta found out who she really was but also sadness to learn that Azel was never able to find Edge. Another choking back tears moment but only if you had played PDS first.

4. Super Metroid
    That boss that scared the **** out of me!
    I finally push him into the lava and watch as he melts and screams and finally sinks under. Whew! 1 energy tank left! Theres no way out so I head to the wall at the back of the room and suddenly the bosses skeleton bursts through the wall. Forget survival horror.

5. Metroid Prime
    Just after the space station and stepping out into the world before you. Realising only after a few minutes play that it has exceeded your expectations and that some how retrostudies and nintendo made it still feel like metroid.

6. Street Fighter 2

Being the best in my home town at it. But mostly having my friends purposely getting me stupid drunk so they could beat me and still hand their ass to them on a plate.

7. Gunstar Heroes

Bought it on an impulse buy because Stuart Campbell from Sega Zone wouldn't shut up about it. Thank you Stuart for leading me to by far the best game on the Mega Drive

8. Super Aleste

Which was more powerful, the mega drive or the SNES. After me and my mates got to level 2 on this game and saw the entire level scroll in from the background as a tiny dot to giant space station, this schoolyard argument was forever answered.

9. Metal Gear Solid

Fantastic moments a plenty in this game but for me the best was the fight with psycho mantis.

10. Carrier Airwing

First and only shoot'em up I beat with 1 credit in the arcade :)

I'd like to add more (especially after leaving Half Life 1 out) but I'm tired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Agreed with the MP one.

And MP2E: The cutscene just before the
    first
    Dark Samus fight. Samus and Dark Samus going toe to toe... Best bitchfight ever :D and
    Quadraxis. So freakin' cool!

Zelda: Wind Waker - Final boss fight.
    Getting to sword fight Ganondorf rocked. And plunging the Master Sword into his forehead just felt so good. A true PWN'D moment.

Super Smash Bros Melee - For all the multiplayer fun it's brought. Including some really silly moments, like deciding to play against Syth using only feet. While forgetting that the timer was set to 15 minutes...I still won. And it's especially funny with lots of Jolt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

None of my friends will play Smash Bros. Melee with me :( The fools think its just a button basher and are fed upof me beating them at console games.

Can't believe I forgot Zelda: OoT when you step on to hyrule fileld. Breathtaking for the time.
    Zelda: Wind Waker - Final boss fight

I was shocked at how violent it was :) Great moment though. and a great boss
    Very cinematic. Loved the way princess zelda was fighting alongside you with her bow and arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Spot on with the Windwaker. I kept a save game file just before that battle so I could go back and do it again and again...

Beyond Good and Evil had some great moments in it.. like:
    When you sneak into the Alpha Sections HQ to get some pearls. You spend ages crawling around and sneaking along narrow window sills. Then shortly after you have gotten the pearls a trap is sprung and the head of the alpha sections and dozens of soldiers come flying after you and you are relentlessly pursued over the roof tops. At one point as you are running into the camera the whole game goes into slow motion and all you can hear is your own breathing and the pounding of your heart. Really great stuff.

And then latter when you have your space ship and you have to battle the Domz outside their base on the moon... it was just so wonderfully cinematic and backed up by a wonderful score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Whats your favourite moments from videogames?

1. That scene form FFVII
    Well I wasn't expecting it. There were some fantastic scenes in the game but this one had the most impact. It was the first time that a videogame had brought me close to tears. From then on I was even more hooked since I wanted to find out if wasn't in vain. And I wanted to kill sephiroth for what he did!

im sorry but that was just funny i downloaded mpegs of it..he rules
    :p

although for me its probably GT3...i got pretty good at it!...spent a lot of time on it..100% completed..i got all my mates ringing me up asking me to get them more money or a certain %...then id just waste em on a 2 player for the hell of it

bring on GT4 :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Finishing Knights of the Old Republic. It just felt more satisfying then the
    “Yes I’ve finished Half-Life 2, but I’m being locked up again for another day, until they need me”…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Super Metroid

1. wtf! mode 7 rotating corridor :eek:
    2. Touching down on zebes for the first time; lashing rain, creepy music... such a superb start to arguably the finest game ever made.
    3. Kraid :eek:
    4. Retr0's moment (i pooped a little)
    5. mastering the single wall jump
    6. finally getting 100% at it, some 7 years after i first got the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Knights of the Old republic:
    When you find out that your character is actually Revan

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Doodee wrote:

Classic moment in a classic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

ICO: Just seeing yorda run around after birds and such, don't know why it seemed so brilliant, but it did. And hearing the save game music for the first time, that was rather magical.

Parappa the rapper: The rap contest thing to get to the front of the queue for the toilet, there's been nothing quite as amusing as that level for me since.

Tobal No.1: Just playing it, fantastic wonderful game that about 5 people bought.

Battlezone: Watching a squad of bombers tear through a base for the first time.

Homeworld: Seeing a mothership go boom for the first time.

Wind waker: Playing hide and seek with the kids on windfall Island, that was my favourite part of the game-very nintendo.

Half Life 2:
    The big chimney thing falling in the air boat section, I nearly crapped my pants there.

Giants Citizen Kabuto: Same as tobal.

Planescape Torment: Too many great moments just pick out one.

Thief 3: The cradle-one of the best levels ever made, scary as hell.

I'm gonna stop now...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

System Shock 2 - Finally reaching Polito on deck 4

Command and Conquer - Kane taking over the news broadcast near the start (
    where he shoots the guy in the head - very graphic
    ). Plus the alternative ending if you use the satellite to destroy the temple of nod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Zelda OOT sticking in the knife for last time and just knowing twas over.

Sf2 getting the unattainable 1.3 million in an arcade with 1 20 pence piece.

GTA SA copping on halfway tru a crack house it was about to be done.

HL2 getting the super grav gun and giggling for the rest of the level.

Super Mario 64 on 1st go just running in circles going "wow"

Driver beating the FBI on on the last part of the game some serious WHOA moments in that chase.

Commando beating level 99 thinking i was deadly then it restarted wtf.

Crystal Castles finishing same as above.
    kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Doodee wrote:
    Only experienced this recently so it is at the front of my mind - what an amazing moment!

Another favourite / satisfying moment in gaming was towards the end of Serious Sam when you turn a corner to face HUNDREDS of Kleer Skeletons (the skeletal horse dudes) - cue frantic back-pedalling, using all my ammo and an amazing feeling of relief getting back them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Turning off MGS after playing it through to (almost) then end for 9 hours.

pwning Syxpak with a toilet in HL2 DM :)
    then my computer restarted...

coming into college just before 9am with the intentions of attending lectures, then getting booted out by security 12 hours later after an all day HL DM session.

Metroid Prime:
    Ridley's shadow gliding over the landscape of Phendrana Drifts

Doom3: no matter how dull the game itself got, you just had to admire the skill that went into creating the pinkies and Barons of Hell

Max Payne 1 & 2: "it's Payne! GEDDIM!" :cool:

Unreal Tournament 2004: actually making it through the first few brackets of a tourny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

IS that a three headed monkey behind you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Here's some of mine:

F-Zero: Seeing it running for the first time and being blown away by the mode 7.

Going to arcades in the 80s/90s, before home consoles could touch them. :)

Zelda: Link to the Past: The atmosphere, music, everything about this game was fantastic. Going to dark world for the first time was the ultimate in cool though. :)

ICO: I don't need to elaborate!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Zelda : Majora's Mask
    after most of the game not really feeling like a Zelda game, the final level where you go into the moon to follow Majora and have to chase the kids around and tackle the dungeons.

Metroid Fusion final boss and end sequence. There's something about metroid games where every time I complete them I wish i could somehow erase my memory of the game and play through it again for the first time, but this one in particular stuck with me...

Eternal darkness
    partly for the bits when your insanity meter drops down and you start hallucinating that bits of your body are dropping off, etc, and partly for the mindf*ck bits where the game seems to end and an advert shows for the "sequel", Eternal Darkness : Sanity's Redemption - seeing that about 8 hours into the game at 4 am really threw me off balance

I'll second the vote for Gunstar Heroes - one of the most addictively fun games *ever*.

Splatterhouse 2
    the boss on the 3rd level - diseased babies hanging by nooses that spit acid at you! Followed by a huge creature that literally explodes onto your screen....
    for a mega drive game, that was a damn fine horror game.

Silent Hill 2
    The bit where the girl locks you into the morgue and you fight the thing made of dead body parts...an extremely creepy game overall, but that bit in particular freaked me out. And the part in the hidden prison underground where you go into a cell and the door locks itself behind you! Or the parts where you try to avoid Pyramid Head in the tunnels...talk about pant-filling action

Fysh wrote:
    Metroid Fusion final boss and end sequence. There's something about metroid games where every time I complete them I wish i could somehow erase my memory of the game and play through it again for the first time, but this one in particular stuck with me...
    i can't actually remember that boss battle... unless it was the
    S-AX (crap) or Ridley (****ing cool!) battle :confused:
    must play through it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ditto...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

First time I encountered a Hunter in the original Resident Evil. Thing whipped out from a corridor and decapitated poor Chris. Scared the living bejayzus out of me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

in homeworld,
    coming back to your home planet, only to see it burn.

FFVII, that scene.

Max Payne2
    whe mona dies

and

Playing with the physics in half life 2 for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

System Shock two-all of it is unbelievably brilliant and a true classic but I thought that the fact you could miss finding politos quarters was almost as good as
    hearing the voice on the email in her room :eek:
    and then finally meeting her-what a game.

Freespace Two-again its one of my favourite games if not my favourite but for me the my overall favourite moment is
    the second Shivan Juggernaut warping out of that second knossos gate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Completing the Ocarina of time changed my life and super smash bros melee has hours of gaming moments

Also in majoras mask
    Near the end when you find out that the mask was controlling the stalchild the whole time and when you put on the fierce deity's mask for the first time, that guy is so cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Thief 3: The cradle-one of the best levels ever made, scary as hellQUOTE]

I haven't played Thief 3 since last august. Which level was that?

Fave moments for me:
    Metal Gear Solid 2 - The bit where Snake blasts solidus off the oil rig only for Solidus to reappear on the back of the jump-jet. Absolutely ace!!!

Devil May Cry - Fighting the giant griffin for the first time and blasting him in the face with the shotgun at point blank range when he flies in towards you.

Raw vs Smackdown - winning this years annual xmas smackdownathon against some of my friends.

Call of Duty - $hitting it on the first russian levels where you don't have a gun for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

KdjaC wrote:
    Sf2 getting the unattainable 1.3 million in an arcade with 1 20 pence piece.

definately the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Evilution wrote:
    I haven't played Thief 3 since last august. Which level was that?
    The abandoned asylum/orphanage....I would like to elaborate but i'd be giving stuff away for anyone currently playing the game.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

The abandoned asylum/orphanage....I would like to elaborate but i'd be giving stuff away for anyone currently playing the game.....

Yeppers, I remember it now, cheers for that.
    Some spooky moments there. Everything seemed like a shadow. Tough hoor of a mission too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Completing Solitaire (on the hardest setting I might add)
    and seeing the resulting plethora of excited cards explode over my screen.

Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Doom3 - all of it

Cod - all of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

UFO: Enemy Unknown - Beating the motherbrain.
    Quake 3 - Every level beaten on Nightmare in a single day. It took me a while to get to that level.
    Go - Getting my first seki in a real game. http://senseis.xmp.net/?seki for an explanation.

Advertisement