Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Gaming moments (spoiler tags please)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

That scene in FFVII is of course, but I think the intro from FFVIII deserves some credit too.
    Metal Gear Solid:
    One of the best lines ever, when Mantis possesses Meryl before his boss battle and starts asking Snake to do her:
    Meryl: "What's the matter..."
    Mantis: "You don't like girls?"
    Halflife:
    Oh thank god, Soldiers are here to save us all. Bang bang bang, what the ****?
    So many other moments I just can't think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Ahhh so many memories... :D
    Lets see...

Vagrant storys ending. Anyone who missed this game missed out. Seriously, one of the most underrated games ont he ps1, class story, amazing, sixth sense type ending.

Playing ridge racer non stop trying to get a new lap record, spending hours just trying to get the perfect drift to shave off that extra millisecond for a new record :D

Stepping off the train into city 17 in HL2. Incredible, just incredible.

Doom 3. When everything goes tits up at the start, and all you can hear through your radio is marines shouting, firing, and dying! The hell levels were some of the best design ive ever seen too.

Marrying someone in fable, having the townsfolk calling you 'chicken chaser' everywhere you go, then beating thier heads in for it. :D

Ico. The ending. I dont think i even have to say anything.

Ninja gaiden, whipping out the nunchucks and giving a room full of ninjas a solid thrashing, and feeling like a double hard ninja bastard :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

1. Completeing Unreal in a weekend when it came out first

2. My first ever step into online gaming when I decided to try out Quake 2 deathmatch back in 1998... that moment changed my life forever

3. Myself and my Cousin going into Virgin Megastore and seeing Starwing on the SNES the day it came out on display, I remember us standing there for half an hour watching some dude play it and watched the ship weaving its way through a tunnel and tilting around we moved our heads to the side in line the with animation lol.. the gfx were so far ahead of their time back then.

4. Myself and my m8's spending many a long night playing Ridge Racer when it came out drinking outselves silly.

5. Playing Silent Hill 1 for the first few hours, the sense of horror was fantasic and the soundtrack was almost demented in places.. great stuff.

6. Final Fantasy X - one of the best videogames of all time, the storyline was so consuming, best characters in a game ever, both Tidus, Auron and Waka were fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

UFO: Enemy Unknown - Beating the motherbrain
    ooooh! thats a good one!
    System Shock two-all of it is unbelievably brilliant and a true classic but I thought that the fact you could miss finding politos quarters was almost as good as spoiler: hearing the voice on the email in her room and then finally meeting her-what a game.

that too!

"
    Halflife:
    Oh thank god, Soldiers are here to save us all. Bang bang bang, what the ****?

and that!

lets see..
    the gravity gun in half life 2 more or less made the game for me.
    Zelda OOT water temple:
    meeting dark link
    and the rest of the water temple; fiendish puzzle.

hl
    getting captured; thinking oh crap thats it! and then being left for dead

Toy commander for the DC; all of it!

multiplayer starwing 64; cant wait for assault!

GTA:SA :
    breaking into area 69 and seeing the new toy, grinning from ear to ear.

thats all for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Just playing FFX all the way through. Have played all of the FF series but for some reason none of them (even VII) captured me as FFX did. Great story, nearly cried at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ive just after experiencing another 'gaming moment'.... im playing Final Fantasy XI Online and just after making it to the City of San D'Oria for the first time and what a sight for sore eyes it is.. huge sprawling medieval castle city kingdom, the soundtrack is amazing, the citizens all look so amazing, some of the best skining ive seen in a game, the whole atmosphere is fantastic and lucky for me the weekend is approaching and im gonna sit back with my whiskey and coke and explore San D'Oria's wonderous beauty....anyone who is a final fantasy fan with patience and has broadband i cant recommend this game enough, it is such a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Seeing Quake on a projection screen in GAME in Limerick.

Confirmed the PC's superiority to consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Unreal Tournament :: first monster kill.

HL ::
    elevator scene

Far Cry :: all of it.

Carmeggedon :: the sheer carnage and graphics at the time.

GTA 3 :: first play of it ever. brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Brerrabbit wrote:
    ooooh! thats a good one!

Zelda OOT water temple:
    meeting dark link
    and the rest of the water temple; fiendish puzzle.

multiplayer starwing 64; cant wait for assault!

everyone seemed to have a problem with the water temple, some even stopped playin becuas o it and failed to finish the game. the water raising and lowering was tough to follow.I got lost nd decided id just start the level at where it was when i first stared and slowly took my time and got it right.

and starwing/lylat wars multi player i thought was awful!

evad_lhorg wrote:
    everyone seemed to have a problem with the water temple, some even stopped playin becuas o it and failed to finish the game.

thats what happened to me, i really shud start the game again as ive never goten past that water temple and that was years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Great thread.

Resident Evil
    Fighting the Tyrant on the roof with no ammo, ack! Also the first encounter with the dogs in the L-shaped corridor, when they jump through the windows at you.

Resident Evil 2
    Facing Mr. X (the big guy in the long coat) in scenario 2 for the first time and then realising there's nowhere safe as he can smash through any wall at any time at attack you! Also the whole race to escape the city at the end at beating the last two bosses and being rewarded with the ending sequence

Street Fighter 2
    Beating it for the first time on max difficulty.

Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Finally getting to a point where I could pull off Akuma's Raging Demon move with ease whenever I wanted to. Took me ages to practice and get the timing right. Heh, don't think I'll ever forget Lp Lp Lk forward Hp :)

Ultima Underworld
    The last level/area with the demon thing chasing you around, like some sort of LSD induced nightmare

Ultima 7: the Black Gate
    The end of the game. Finally coming face to face with Abraham and Elizabeth...among others.

Half Life
    Sneaking back and forth past and eventually killing those three green creatures that react to sound in the rocket-test-chamber.

Aliens Versus Predator
    Playing as the marine, those damn facehuggers! night-vision or motion tracker, night-vision or motion tracker...the hardest descision I've ever had to make.

Zelda: The Wind Waker
    Being out on the open seas with a beautiful clear sky when all of a sudden an enormous octopus appears and throws link across to the other side of the ocean.

Baldur's Gate
    Fighting those damn Basilisks :mad:

Streets of Rage 2
    Beating the game with my brother on co-op mode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

evad_lhorg wrote:
    everyone seemed to have a problem with the water temple, some even stopped playin becuas o it and failed to finish the game.
    Oh come now, it wasn't that hard to follow. Don't know about anyone else but everyone I know who played the game thought the water temple was the best part of it, and I would have to agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Creature wrote:
    Half Life
    Sneaking back and forth past and eventually killing those three green creatures that react to sound in the rocket-test-chamber.

Thought it was only one creature with three 'tentacles'? Tap-tap-tap!

That game ruled so damn much. Would it still be considered the best PC game ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Pac- man : having the best high scroe in the area (21 mill).

Doom : For it's time it was truely amazing.. playing the the lights off and being 12 - 15 it was scary somethimes too).

Doom : First realy multiplayer game and first ever lan party i was at.

Xwing: Just playing it and living out my childhood fantasies =).

Dark age of Camelot : my first time i ever killed another player . My GFX card couldnt' render some animations so when the hero changed shapes all i saw was a big white thing runnign at me ... so i did what all great people do .. i pegged it .. only to come back trying to save my buddie, he dies i kill the hero has his buddie .. i was shaking for about 2 hours after that =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Myth- The Fallen Lords, and Soulblighter. The artwork, animations, and story between fights was truly brilliant. I love how it starts off so defeatist and hopelessly, and how the narrator recounts how the tide of the battle eventually turns against all the odds. The music added in just that perfect tone of melancholy to make it a touching story of epic proportions.

I concur with the green tentacle things in Half Life. A great moment.

Most of Baldur's gate was just great storytelling.

Planescape: Torment was a textbook example on how to do an RPG. The story was compelling, the cutscenes were fascinating in the half-info they could give you to keep you wondering, and the humour was good as anything you'll get in such a game.

"Hey, Nordom. Calculate the quickest way for me to snuggle with Annah's pillows."

"ANNAH! MORT WISHES TO 'SNUGGLE WITH YOUR PILLOWS!'"

In POP: Warrior Within, the chases with the Dahaka were brilliant. Real frantic stuff. And the bigger enemies like
    the Brutes and the Griffin
    were good fun to go up against. It was a shame to finish it, really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Gonzo wrote:
    thats what happened to me, i really shud start the game again as ive never goten past that water temple and that was years ago.
    I never got past the shaggin bit where youre in some fort or something and if you get spotted you get locked up. pissed me right the hell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Sarky wrote:
    Planescape: Torment was a textbook example on how to do an RPG. The story was compelling, the cutscenes were fascinating in the half-info they could give you to keep you wondering, and the humour was good as anything you'll get in such a game.

"Hey, Nordom. Calculate the quickest way for me to snuggle with Annah's pillows."

"ANNAH! MORT WISHES TO 'SNUGGLE WITH YOUR PILLOWS!'"
    Nordom was quite the character, at his best when trying to get it on with annah

"Annah, did you know I had 6 sides?"

Very few games have made such excellent characters and dialogue, It's a shame it only sold about 10 copies....people are idiots. It's one of the only games that made me genuinely happy for the main character in the end, it's up there with ICO in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Quake 1: Meeting my first Shambler

HL1: "Hey, Mr. Freeman, I've got a message for you.. don't-"*BANG*

Quake 2: Seeing it played on a Voodoo 2 :)

hl2: Gman in the intro, scared the crap out of me

BG I: Doppelgangers >_<

Doom 3: When it all goes arsewise, especially the light effects when the guy goes zombie.

Doom: Finishing ep 1 and being teleported into that pitch black room with all the zombies.

Nethack: That time when I didn't finish it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

fully agreeing on all the FF, MGS & Zelda references and, to bring up the one we haven't mentioned (not that i loved the game or anything :confused:)

FF9:
    You're flying to the portal over the Iafa tree near the end of the game...but look, what's this i see!?, oh ****!, thousands of dragons swarming from the portal to stop you!! However will our heros survive this one!? Suddenly Cid comes flying to the rescue with a fleet of airships and an FMV battle sequence ensues between dragons and airships (arguably 2 of the coolest things there are) :)

I just remember how incredibly cool i thought that was... there were some really good FMVs in that game.. i just never found it had replay value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I'd say that bit in San Andreas
    when you discover that Tenpenny, Big Smoke and Ryder were in "cahoots" with the Ballas.

Very unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

and starwing/lylat wars multi player i thought was awful!

each to their own I suppose, it helps to have EXTREMELY competitive friends.
    Also playing Halo coperatively with a mate who, like me was raised on too many action films; "cover me" fire in the hole" etc. We must have sounded like complete muppets to anyone listening in but t'was great fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i actually got through the water dungeon in zelda without the blue water jacket. bloody hard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Kiith wrote:

Max Payne2
    whe mona dies

In Max Payne 2, if you complete the game on the hardest difficulty setting
    The Ending changes...

Class game, absolutely love the Funhouse levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

Resident Evil:
    The dogs crashing through that L-shaped corridor near the start

Silent Hill: Nearly all of it, the atmosphere especially, a game has never scared me so much, brilliant :)

Super Metroid: Having wandered aimlessly throughout the levels, figuring out
    to place a bomb in the tunnel across Maridia (sp?). Didn't do anything for a second and just when my hopes had faded away,,,the glass starts cracking :D

GTA: Vice City: What I had anticipated as the one of the greatest moments of my gaming career; getting 100%. Turned out to be
    a complete anticlimax and all I got was a lousy T-shirt with "all I got was this lousy T-shirt" on it lol

GTA: San Andreas: Getting Gold in all the lessons in all the schools unlocking
    all the extra vehicles at the boatyard, the bike place, the air strip and the carpark. woot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That bit in Super Metroid had me stumped for weeks :mad: Great sense of satisfaction when I figured it out.

Have some new ones:

MGS3: The boss fight with The Fury.

Resident Evil 4: The first time you are under siege in a house and they bring out the chainsaw guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

lol ret, I was stuck at it for a day or two. I trekked from one end of the entire world that I had access to and back a few times before I figured it out tho.

Doom3:
    When you get flashback kind of images, like you're looking through someone else's eyes and everything's all covered in blood and spooky as ****! Nerves were shot the whole next day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

New moments

Halflife 2:
    Enhance Gravity Gun. Need I say more
    MGS 3:
    The End. The boss battles haven't been too tough, his included, but it was a very nice, very involving bit of gameplay

Advertisement