Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you form a (private members) club (legally)

Options
  • 13-01-2005 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

ok been looking a forming an thingy (like a collective won't go into to it)...

found stuff on
    co-ops
    companies ltd by guarantee
    friendly societies etc

but nothing the legal form(ing) of a club....

this is a legit project but want the easiest way to be able to sell achohol at gis etc?

the only example of clubs i can think of
    ifi / film clubs
    GAA clubs are their clubhouses run as private members clubs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

gaa run club advisory service
    might be a starting point possibly

http://www.gaa.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

have a look at http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA16Y1988.html - section 5 of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1988. It refers to the Registration of Clubs Act 1904.

As I recall, there were also some amendments in the 90's, to ensure that the club really was a bona fide club.

This looks like it's quite complicated and I'd say a trip to the solicitor is in order. (You'd really need a solicitor who has done this stuff before.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

www.cro.ie and see setting up a society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i follow the gaa link good tip, lots of the bluff there...

in the intoxiquating liquor act it says you can't advertise publically for a private members/clubs events???????????

selling drink is not our aim but if we wanna put on some bands etc...???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can't advertise publicly, presumably because the events are supposed to be for your members and guests they invite. If you put out advertising to the public, it wouldn't really be a private event, would it?

If you want to put on some bands, why not rent a place with a license?

Alternatively, there is something called an 'occasional' licence under the 1962 Intoxicating Liquor act and something called an 'authorised event order' (if you happen to be renting a racecourse or greyhound stadium, under a more recent act) which might be some use to you.

There is also a lot to this beyond the basic licence. You also need to consider all the safety, tax, compliance and insurance issues. Above all else, you'd certainly need to get approval of the local Garda in charge of licencing (otherwise he'll just object to your licence in court and you'll be finished).

Taking a quick snoop around the Interweb, it looks like the information you need is probably in

Cassidy, The Licencing Handbook 2002 Edition.

http://www.roundhall.ie/product.asp?ProdID=85

A snip at EUR113.

Not really my field of expertise, and it is something that needs some expert advicen because of all the legislation and technicalities.

a.

• Advertisement
Advertisement