Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel CarVan Reccomendations

Options
  • 13-01-2005 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

recently setup on my own doing callouts and suchlike and aside from the fact that my 93 Sunny threw a clutch, I am loosing 2hrs a day dropping my wife to and from work!

so.........

Im thinking of getting a loan of 3000-3500 for a diesel carvan type thing.

I am 24, 25 in July, so im guessing my age would have insurance implications.

Any reccomendations, or even what to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

recently setup on my own doing callouts and suchlike and aside from the fact that my 93 Sunny threw a clutch, I am loosing 2hrs a day dropping my wife to and from work!

so.........

...You need something with a large loading area to carry the wife's body out to the woods because you killed her to avoid driving those extra two hours a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Only one i could think of would be a Peugeot 206 1.4 diesel. Out since 1999 or 2000 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

John R wrote:
    ...You need something with a large loading area to carry the wife's body out to the woods because you killed her to avoid driving those extra two hours a day?

nope, but when your self employed shedding almost 8 hours a week is not an option :)

The bus is useless, and the LUAS is a 50 min walk away. So in short, I need my own car, which the business will buy as it is for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

corolla van . dont bother with anything else. they go on forever and give little or no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

whats the load?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

load will be most often 3-4 PC's and 6 or 7 laptops.

I looking for a car-van mainly from an insurance point of view.

hmm corollla, sounds good, Ill keep an eye out for one. What the smallest diesel engine you can get with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Im working for the family buisness and were self employed like yourself
    im getting a car-van in either august or september
    I might get the Focus carvan 1.8 turbo diesel 3dr, you could try that, but i think that 1.8 is the smallest engine size with it.
    Also if you dont know already insurance is cheaper when is insured under commercial insurance.
    Try FBD or Quinn direct, ive heard ther good for quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

the newer corolla(not the new model) came with a pug engine so dont buy one of them they are a disaster to work on and a timing belt takes 5 hrs to change, there are all 2.0 d

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Take a look at the old model Ford Courier which had the front of the Fiesta on it. It has a large loading bay with easy access and a high roof. Don't expect much in the way of refinement from the 1.8 TD engine though. I think the old model Fiesta was also available as a car van with the same engine.

Other options: Peug 206 Hdi, Peug 306, Renault Kango (based on the Clio), VW Caddy/Seat Inca Tdi (based on the Polo/Ibiza), Citroen Xsara Hdi, Toyota Corolla and Fiat Punto.

My choice would be the Caddy or Inca but insurance on the 1.9 TDi could be expensive for under 30s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

get a Toyota anything. I worked for myself for a few years downtime is not an option. I always kept a toyota under me. I hated them oh how I hated them. But I owe them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement