Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rear speakers what to do.

Options
  • 13-01-2005 3:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Trying to wire up 2 speakers in the back doors to my head unit, its a sony head unit and has two phono connections at the back for rear left and right. I assumed that all i had to do was get two standard phono plugs from maplin and it would work. Well spent half a morning taking the car apart putting the speakers in and plugged them into the head unit and no sound. The only option on the osd is to set the volume to be higher at the front or the back.

Ive checked the speakers and they work fine so i dont know what to do now, im assuming the head unit is broked (well that part anyway cause nothing else is broke on it) So where can i wire the speakers too ?!? ive a 206 is there anywhere on the wires going into the back of the head unit i can just attact the wires too or could I maby just wire them to the existing speakers in the front doors and rob the sound from them ?!? Id rather not do that as my stereo outputs 4x50w and id like to recieve that ammount of sound from them as the stereo outputs very clearly up to the last 2 of about 20 points on the osd sound display.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 celsis

You may find that the plugs on the back of your head unit are for an amp. Check the connection from your front speakers to the head unit. Are there more cables going from the head unit than going into it? If so, snip the unused cables and splice in you rear speaker cables. Best get a Haynes manual for the wiring. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Shouldnt there be wiring already installed for 2 rear speakers?

Those 2 phono leads are for an amp or subwoofer if im not mistaken... should be in your manual, check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I dont think so but there is wiring now :-) Well I dont think its for an amp cause its got 4x50w on the front of the unit but maby. Im going to get one of the Haynes books and see what it says about wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

the phono plugs are for an amp or external device id say. use the speaker wires on the block coming from the rear of the unit.

check your existing speker wires, and buzz them out with a meter to see where they go, no need to fork out for a haynes really.

as long as you dont do anything rash you should be ok., always disconnect the battery before u go tinkering with stereos.....

i have to say car manufacturers should be shot for the junk they expect us to listen to.?
    anyone agree??

Advertisement