Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

image size adjustment for websites

Options
  • 13-01-2005 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hello!
    I want to upload some photos on to a sharing and printing site from my camera. Thing is, they're way too big and I wanted to make them smaller in photoshop before atempting to upload them.
    I think they should be 300 dpi, 7 x 5 inches and about 1200 pixels across, but in photoshop if I input all these measurements the files are still way too big.
    Can someone tell me exactly the steps i should take to get their sizes right?
    Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dr. gonzo

I use a little utility called Mihov Image Resizer, its pretty cool and will let you resize all different formats of images, give it a go ! You can download it here : http://www.imageresizer.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

thanks Dr. Gonzo, but I should have said - i'm using a mac.
    anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jim10000 wrote:
    thanks Dr. Gonzo, but I should have said - i'm using a mac.
    anyone?

Not a mac man, but those stats you gave for your pic sound a little OTT.
    700 DPI is a ridiculously high res for pics, especially ones you're looking to upload to the web. File sizes would be huge.

Default DPI on PS is around 72 dpi (?). When you open your pics in PS do your cropping and all that crap then to resize the image go to Image>Image Size.
    Next Untick BOTH checkboxes (Constrain proportions & Resample image) and change the resolution down to below 100.
    This will resample the image, lowering the res without altering the pixel size. I don't know what the different resmaple types do, so I just use bicubic.
    I've used this method to shrink pics from my 5mp camera to something acceptable for upload or for adding text in PS (since fonts default to around 90 dpi).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

using a mac it's even easier. unsurprisingly ;)

open the image in preview. From file choose export, file type jpeg. Then in options you can choose a target size in bytes or you can define a quality level so you vary at your will.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

that's exactly what i needed - thanks for that.

couple more things though... in photoshop i reduced the image to my satisfaction, and at 100% it looks fine...if I go to 200% magnification though, you can see pixels - so will these images be ok quality when they're printed?

Incidentally, trying the Preview thing I ran into a weird problem. When I tried to input the desired byte size in its box it came up in the file name box(?!?) (the cursor appeared to be in both boxes) and eventually the application froze. It sounds like i'm doing something really simply wrong to make this happen, but i tried a few times and the same thing happened again and again.
    Any ideas?

thanks again for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

web resolution is not the same as print resolution, they will not be fine printed,unless printed very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Advertisement