Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finding the owner of a car via reg no.

Options
  • 13-01-2005 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a quick question you may be able to help with.

Is it possible to find out who a car is registered to without going to the gardai?

Zena

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

the local motor taxation office. given them the reg and the date that you require i.e. who owned it on the 1/1/2005. fee is €6. each county has it's own office. if its a D reg, then it's dublin, C reg, cork etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Zena

Cheers landser - that is great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Didn't know you could do that!!! Kinda scary really....cause if you were to do something to really annoy someone on the road....they could hunt you down

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

yea, a warning to us all, did not know that you could do that either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

are you sure about that i find it shocking if so

• Advertisement

yep, i've done it loads of times for work, where you're trying to find out the name of the owner of a vehicle leaving the scene of an accident. if they give you any sh*t, tell them that the car ran over your bike or something. the application has to be mae in writing,

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

:eek: Didn't know that, only knew the friendly Garda route ;)
    landser wrote:
    i've done it loads of times for work, where you're trying to find out the name of the owner of a vehicle leaving the scene of an accident

What's your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

In Switzerland you get reg plates for life i think, you can go to book shop and buy the book contains everyone's name address and regs :eek:
    fubbing crazy :D

unkel wrote:
    :
    What's your job?

car spotter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

landser wrote:
    car spotter
    I don't know what that is but it sounds cool - where do I apply....

'c

• Advertisement

it's a community employment scheme.

halkar wrote:
    In Switzerland you get reg plates for life i think, you can go to book shop and buy the book contains everyone's name address and regs

Damn handy when you want to assassinate an air traffic controller and you don't know where he lives :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    Damn handy when you want to assassinate an air traffic controller and you don't know where he lives :rolleyes:
    its such a bizarre example that Im wondering if it is based on experience :D

kbannon wrote:
    its such a bizarre example that Im wondering if it is based on experience

Remember the Danish air traffic controller working in Switzerland that messed up and caused two aircraft to collide in mid air killing 71, mainly Russian children in 2002

A Russian father who lost his wife and children went looking for him in Switzerland. He found him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Would the Data Protection Act not prevent private details from divulged??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

freedom of information act beats that, and 4-aces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Er off thread a bit, it wasn't the traffic controller sole fault that night. He was just a small part of a huge problem. It involved line managers, faulty equipment, and 2 russians captains arguing in the cockpit whether to descend or climb. The controller told the crew to descend and the collision avoidance system told the crew climb. There is still no guide line today on which voice the crew should obey( and it happens more than you think in busy skies) . Was a real tragedy the planes only overlapped by 20 feet!

stratos wrote:
    Er off thread a bit, it wasn't the traffic controller sole fault that night

You're right. It was more complicated than that. Yet, had the ATC done NOTHING, there would have been no accident. The collision avoidance system was working on BOTH planes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

landser wrote:
    the local motor taxation office. given them the reg and the date that you require i.e. who owned it on the 1/1/2005. fee is €6. each county has it's own office. if its a D reg, then it's dublin, C reg, cork etc.

Interesting...

What info do you get, is it just name, name & address or more like tax/insurance/NCT and do you have to show an ID?

Advertisement