Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Desktop Management

Options
  • 13-01-2005 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Remote desktop management

Hello there,
    Can anyone help me get my head around some remote desktop management software,
    I need to be able to access a lot of computers in a lot of different places….
    My setup = Wireless broadband connection with a canyon wireless router, My clients are also using the same, I have no problem using Vnc on my own internal network but have still to get it up and running on a broadband router too broadband router connection… What I cant seem to get my head around is, If I setup Vnc on a client machine that has been given an ip address of 192.168.2.100 and their main Ip address going to the router is 83.245.xx.xx, what do I do then … also is there a better software I should be using ?

Thanks for any help

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If I'm getting you correctly, you have a wireless type setup, where your computer's IP is (for example) 192.168.1.2, your router's external IP address is 82.16.58.2.

Then you have a client with the details as above.

At a basic level, you would need to set up port forwarding on the client's router, for the port that VNC uses. That is, when using VNC, you connect to 83.245.x.x (client's IP) and it forwards the connection to the client machine.

The problem with this is security. It leaves it wide open for someone *else* to connect to the client's machine. Coupled with VNC transmitting data (including passwords) unencrypted across the Internet, it makes it a stupidly risky venture.

VPN may be your way to go, but someone else may have a better suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

It's pretty straight forward to tunnel VNC across an ssh connection and the steps are described on the real VNC web site. This is particulalry handy if the server is Linux since it will almost always have an ssh daemon installed. For Windows you'd have to install an ssh daemon application (cygwin makes it easy to get one).

If you have a small number of routers involved it is, as Seamus suggested, probably easiest to use a VPN between the routers (assumes you trust the internal networks on both sides). If configuring routers is not an option www.openvpn.org is a great piece of software that will let you setup the VPN at host level.

hth.

Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

correct link for above http://openvpn.net/ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

Jaysus, don't use VNC on the internet :eek:

Advertisement