Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old School Vs The New Generation

Options
  • 13-01-2005 12:32pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok I have been thinking about this for a while,can you define how the old school play and how the New Generation play (all us yellow packs).I have not played to much with the old chaps to make a big observation,but I am sure some for you will be able to point out a few things.

What I have noticed so far is most of the Old School players go with there gut feeling and maybe are not so good at the math end of poker (Dev gets interested now).

So what do you think...?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well to be very general I think the old school is more Doyle Brunson and less Sklansky and the new school is more Sklansky and less Brunson.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

lol... yes, most of them know the maths intuitively but you'd be shocked at some of the misconceptions some of them have. A very very big cash player INSISTED to me the other day that 22 was "miles ahead" of KT and he meant in probability terms. He even offered me all the money in my pocket (about 200 quid unbeknownst to him) on even money on it.

I think the older players are a force to be reckoned with all the same, I've seen more then one "punk" go broke at the 50-game. Chris green sat into the 50 Sterling No Limit cash game in the Gutshot, a table with 3 or 4 quite arrogant cap-shades-n-chewinggum WPT-victims. They made the mistake of first of all asking to see her chips and know how much she was playing (In the Arabian Nights cartoon there was a donkey who'd go bonkers when its tail was pulled. Chris is like that about her chipcount!)

She did a little dance on their heads. She did the whole hair-n-handbag routine even going so far as to say "ah I'm just a little grannie from Ireland!" at which I nearly blurted my beer over the table.

Suffice to say that at the end of a few hours of some of the funniest poker I've witnessed she was up about 750 notes and the lads were out back talking to themselves and kicking the kerbstones!

They are as varied as we are with rocks and loonies and what have you but the current fashion-trend in poker is to be hyper aggressive like Gus Hansen etc and I dont think there are many of them, the older players tend more towards rocks.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

dont forget about 'all in jim' as i call him, the OAP in the fitz who takes ages to bet and always asks what going on, i really think that guy is putting on a bit of an act, hes a lot smarter than he looks/acts, he busted me out of the final table a week ago, i raised to 12,000, he went all in, after a bit of deliberation i called my last 14,000 with my KJ he turn over 95os, he caught his 5 on the flop and off i go, beware of all in jim!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I played with 'all in jim' once....I was trying to finger out if it was an act or not,the dealer had to keep him up to speed every time it came around to him.Very strange if its all an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Jim knows hot to play em alright, don't be fooled by him. I heard him one night asking was there a club on the board and when someone called him, he showed the nut straight. A club would have made no difference whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Dub13 wrote:
    I played with 'all in jim' once....I was trying to finger out if it was an act or not,the dealer had to keep him up to speed every time it came around to him.Very strange if its all an act.

Jim is definately old skool... he's one of those veteran 5-card draw/7-card stud players from 'old Ireland'. AFAIK, he was a brilliant player in his day. Apparently, a group of them used to tour the country looking for big games. He was telling me stories of winning 25K in the Galway races poker games, and then heading to Kerry the following week and winning another 6/7K... a lot of money back when he was playing those games!

As to whether or not his delay is an act, I don't think so. He just needs a bit longer to make his decision. And he may be a rock, but I've seen him making some brilliant calls at the table as well, when his nothing hand beat a lesser nothing hand bluff.

Another comment he said which I found interesting: "Poker is a young mans game"...

Edit: I reckon the older players may not be applying too much maths in the strictest sense of the word, but the better (older) players are playing within the bounds of probability, purely through experience of knowing what works and what doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ElaineMc

Another comment he said which I found interesting: "Poker is a young mans game"...

If I'm thinking of the right Jim then that must be why he didn't like me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Ah don't mind Jim, according to him, all us "little bollix's" are "easy beat" in his book! Very amusing to play with him, he comes out with some classics. I remember one night it was myself and Dev left at the final table with Jim stuck in the middle, came out with some mad comments! Bob is another one, far madder than Jim though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

ElaineMc wrote:
    If I'm thinking of the right Jim then that must be why he didn't like me!!

Apologies... As soon as I typed that, I knew it could get me into trouble. Change to "young players game".
    :)

Apologies... As soon as I typed that, I knew it could get me into trouble. Change to "young players game".
    :)

Ah jesus no, just when i read it i had to laugh because of the look of disgust he threw at me - it all became clear!

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jim is funny. I believe he was very unwell a while back and suffers long term with it. All the same I've seen him play absolutely brilliant poker and he plays more then the cards too! The night JP and I were on the final table he was difficult to contain because of his keen readyness to throw it all in. He's a cagey player all the same. I caught him all in a while ago with something like K9 to my AK and he looked at me like a schoolboy caught with his hand in the cookie jar with a big grin on his face.

Luke tells some funny stories about him and some of the big games they all would get into but I shouldnt repeat them here as they are kinda crazy! :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

Jim has been playing and orgainising Tournaments for years. He is deaf as a post so it takes a while for him to digest stuff. I think the glue from the wig he wears might have effected him over the years!!! ;):D

smurph wrote:
    I think the glue from the wig he wears might have effected him over the years!!! ;):D

lol
    :D

Advertisement