Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mac os X emulation on a pc? Mac os fullstop even!!

• 13-01-2005 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

I was in a friends house and he was showing me some studio software (garageband) which is only available on the mac and it blew me away! It really is the beez kneez of easy to use software.

On the site it lets you download it for free at 22 megs!

I dont have a mac, and i know alot of you will say 'dont be so tight go and get a mac'... In reality im not going to buy a mac to use one piece of software.

I was googling and i came across a few tools which have shown mac os X running in windows XP, but im not sure if its teh safest thing to do..

I found 2 sites
    http://www.emulators.com/softmac.htm
    And
    http://sveinbjorn.vefsyn.is/mac_on_win_on_mac (mac-windows-mac)

Is it possible for me to get my hands on an emulator that will let me purchase the mac os and run it on my pc? Is it even possible for me to install mac os on my PC? Or is mac os only able to run on certain motherboards and processors?

Cheers

reD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

PearPC - PowerPC Architecture Emulator
    This will allow you to install and run OS X on your Windows\Linux box.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

there is an alternate, i was lookin for the same thing when i came across acid pro, its basicly the same as garage band only its for the pc! then i got all the sounds and samples off my friend who had the mac and now im pretty pleased with the outcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

banbutcher wrote:
    there is an alternate, i was lookin for the same thing when i came across acid pro, its basicly the same as garage band only its for the pc! then i got all the sounds and samples off my friend who had the mac and now im pretty pleased with the outcome!
    acid is a damn fine app (at least it was back when sonic foundry owned it)
    but its far from free

theres prolly a demo of it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

cant u do a twin boot system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

doodle_sketch, i saw that tool before! its in the second link afaik - i thought yer man used that to emulate windows on his mac, not ther other way around! Legend! Nice one for that - ill keep you all updated on the progress!

banbutcher, is that not more of a loop based app? I need something that will set drumbeats and let me record to them n so on :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

if i wanna use that pearPC app do i need to create a new partition? Or will it make a folder for itsself and install mac os to my hdd then run it in a window inside of windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As far as I can gather from the documentation, its all saved onto a single file that acts as an emulated partition. They have 3GB and 6GB empty disk images in the download section so that you don't have to go to the hassle of creating your own. If you want different sizes, there is also a Python script that, afaik,builds a file of your choice of size.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget it's gonna be slow, consider a second hand low spec Mac as another option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Don't forget it's gonna be slow, consider a second hand low spec Mac as another option.

I was running Panther through PearPC on a 2600XP, gig of ram, etc type machine and it *crawled* along (even after editing the config files to allow more memory usage/etc).

Advertisement