Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket Prices in F/S forums

Options
  • 13-01-2005 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

I know that Boards frowns on 'touting', i.e. selling of tickets for higher than face value, but is this not driven by demand/availability?

For instance if someone had booked Kraftwerk tickets for the Olympia (or some other such booked-out high demand show) way in advance, then couldn't go, why shouldn't they be able to get as high a price as possible for their tickets? Admittedly its a different kettle of fish if someone is stocking up on tickets to resell at a higher price, but you could spot these on boards as new posters / people selling a lot of tickets.

To my mind it's like saying if you sell a second-hand album it should be priced based on what you paid for it, not its rarity / demand.

Does this principle apply in all the other for sale boards?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

if they can find someone stupid enough to pay 3 or 4 times as much as its worth , why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I agree with some of what you mean, but with ticket touting it's unfortunately prone to groups of people buying up the tickets and selling them on at a higher price, with the intention of making money out of it, or individuals buying tickets they know will sell out (big names), with the intent of selling it close to the date of the gig at an inflated price (making a quick buck).
    You can't tell from someone's post if they're a tout or not, and only banning certain people for selling above-the-retail-price will probably cause a lot of complaints from people that were banned (unfair treatment, etc).
    (Hope that makes sense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I've just read the definition on the tickets FS forum (should have done that first-- DUH) and it seems quite sensible.

Question duly withdrawn!

Put it this way (As god said it :D ) Treat people like you want to be treated.
    If there was a gig that you were desperate to go to, only had face-value money, but some guy offered it to you at twice the price, would you be happy? I don't think so. As for collecters albums, total different kettle of fish. Thats (to some) another form of speculating. It might be worth more in a few years time, or less. Who knows. But your ticket stub is gonna be worth F*** all after a gig.

Thats my two cents.

Advertisement