Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car, nine days, first scratch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Educational purposes, I suppose - but then you're probably going to find me far too cynical :rolleyes:

It is unfortunate for him that I elected for the moron to pay for all the others, conceded. At the end of the day, I estimate he did about €200 out of the €560 or so it's cost me to get all my panels de-dented and re-sprayed (all dents of which were by car park morons, might I add).

And then again, his car was worth all of €1,000 or so (which might explain this or that: a not particularly well looked-after, 7-year old Golf). Mine was well in excess of €15,000. Don't tell me you're the kind that thinks "it's alright" because "he can afford it" & walks away?

Moreover, I don't particularly subscribe to "lending the other cheek" (litteral translation, here), in this day and age. As my Dad's always said - For an eye, both eyes. For a tooth, the whole face. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Theres some nice dings on the shoulder line of my hyundai sonata, all of them on the drivers side and after a car had been parked facing the same way. F*cking passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    2. many car park spaces are becomming narrower

No, you keep buying bigger cars ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

read all these posts, interesting............!

the bottom line about all this, is that car repairs cost too much for some brainless morons to do unnecessary damage to cars, irrespective of their cost.

but, alas, some people as mentioned dont give a flying **** about the car they own (which they prob never get serviced) or others. these people should pay for their ignorance. :D

coming back from whatever it is what you were doing (buying top gear, etc!) and finding a dent, blah blah on your car is cat alright.

car parks are probably getting more narrow to make 'more' money, ignorant motorists are not the only people who dont give a flying **** about peoples cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What really fcuked me over aboout this incident is that I parked in a strange space, kind of double length parking space, away from the main painted spaces purely to avoid the other cars.

It would be the length of about two and a half cars, so plenty of room to manouvre — all he had to do was drive into the space, which is what the cnut literally did.

With regards the incident with the Merc, I wanted to gauge reactions before telling the rest of the story ...

I waited for her to go into the hotel, go out of my car, and went looking for some "files" on my back seat. Well lo and behold if my ar5e didn't go into some sort of spasm and continually force my back passenger door againt the rear drivers door on the Merc, and make a nice deep dent about the size of an old (old) 10p piece.

Well, accidents do happen.

And as for the person who had the misfortune to have an 'old bint' park beside him/her ... same thing this afternoon. I parked in a Dunnes carpark, at least around 20ft away from any other cars. Came back and someone is right next to me. No marks, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭test999

Buckfast wrote:
    I was wondering how long it's take. New car for nine days, came out to it this morning and a guy had literally parked the front of his car against my back bumper. Nice one inch scratch. B@stard didn't even bother reversing to hide the fact he did it.

I have his reg. What would ye do in such circumstances (bearing in mind there was a CCTV camera preventing me from venting my anger at the time)?

You kick in one of his cars door panels, or smash his headlights to pieces....
    or, use your keys to leave a two foot long, very deep scratch in his car...
    but first you'd have to grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

On the footpath in front of our house, there's a dip to allow residents to park their car on the footpath. (it's about 10feet wide). Often some muppet has parked in front of this dip despite the white lines and the sign on the footpath, blocking all the residents. As these drivers obviously can't see, they won't need their wing mirrors. I've often "leant" on a few mirrors and thrown them into a neighbour's wheelie bin.

And I'd do the same if anyone dinged my car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nine days is nothing !! With my first new car( Ok it was secondhand but really shiny) I was driving out of garage when I was hit by a car reversing off a car transporter. I needed a whole new front panel :D As for car parks, just say a prayer , the most dangerous place in the world for a car :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AlisonB wrote:
    i bumped into the back of a woman at about 2 miles an hour - and supposedly did 1600 euro damage... :) there wasnt a mark on the bumper... i swear to god - if i ever see her in my rear view mirror!!!!!!!! :mad:

Did you get alternative quotes ? I had a bang from a van at less than 15 mph. It was his fault but because he hit me at a weird angle the boot had to be straightened as well. Assessor agreed to £2,500. Maybe this is what happened in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Wow I thought it was just me, I drive my wife mad, tooling around car parks vetting the spots for potential damage. Sizing up the size of the space and the nearby cars and their potential owners. I heard a story from a friend told me lady hit his car door with a shopping trolley. It damaged the door really badly. He challenged her and she said " there's no way a trolley could do that damage", he replied "well try it on your own car" . To his surprise she did, stoved her own door in, and paid for the damage to his door. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

ANYONE who key's a car, for revenge or not deserves the s*it kicked out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

DirtyDog wrote:
    ANYONE who key's a car, for revenge or not deserves the s*it kicked out of them.

Do you know what it feels like to have a brand new car damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

yeah but a car isnt new for long is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Buckfast wrote:
    Do you know what it feels like to have a brand new car damaged?

Yep i had a car less than a week (brand new) and it was keyed in temple bar car park - but if I had of caught him, I'd not follow him to the next car park and do the same, I'd have been on the evening news for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Some scumbag kicked a big dent in the side of my car while it was parked on Botanic Avenue on Friday night. At lease someone dinging you by opening a door might be an accident this was plainly done on purpose.
    The dent is about 12 inches by 6 inches and 1.5 inches deep. The side of the car is very curved at that point. Does anyone have an idea how much that might cost to repair ? I'd like to have some idea before I get ripped off at an accident repair shop.

u might be able to pop it out if u can get behid or pull it with a sucker. as long as the metal isnt creased it might work

lomb wrote:
    u might be able to pop it out if u can get behid or pull it with a sucker. as long as the metal isnt creased it might work
    Thanks Lomb.
    Its kind of almost creased - it looks like it would crease if you pushed it out if you know what I mean. I think I will take it to a repair shop because I would probably make it worse.
    If anyone could give me a kind of ball park figure then at least I will know if I am being ripped off or not. Which would be much appreciated.

what car is it and where is the dent. also what colour is the paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

DirtyDog wrote:
    DirtyDog wrote:
    Yep i had a car less than a week (brand new) and it was keyed in temple bar car park - but if I had of caught him, I'd not follow him to the next car park and do the same, I'd have been on the evening news for murder.

Better to murder someone than key his car back? :rolleyes:

Need to look at your priorities, some, methinks - or get treatment for psychosis :p

lomb wrote:
    what car is it and where is the dent. also what colour is the paint.

Following the excellent advice of Mr Lomb I took off the internal panels of my car and pushed out on the dint. Following a loud pop it popped back to 90% of normal. Now it just looks like a bad door ding. When I get the appropriate torx driver I'll be able to get the rear speaker bracket off and hopefully bate out the last bit of dint. In other good news when I took off the rear seat squab (to use the testicle term) I found a pair of wire snips that had obviously been there since the car was built in 1997.

The bad news is that the side of the car has "flexed" in a vertical line about 4 inches aft of where the old edge of the dint was. This is where the rear bulkhead behind the seats runs and I suppose the flexing force on the metal of the car has had its effect here. There is a straight line which is quite visible and the paint has cracked there (although only slightly so far).
    Any thoughts or advise on this would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

definately dont bang it from the inside any more than to pop it out. i tried this on a car once and the paint cracked (mind u i used a hammer). my advice is call either chips/ dents away to massage the ding/ leave it alone/ or c a bodyshop who wont charge much now it doesnt look bad

i can only persume they use tools to hold the metal on the outside while getting the little ding out that u have now.

Advertisement