Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Student Poker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

What a crowd of fcuking moaners ye all are. Giving out about everything - he's posted the blind structure, payout percentage, minimum prize pool - whats your fcukin problem? usually you go to an event and moan AFTER you've been for whatever reason (getting "fleeced" by a capped prize pool). Give the poor guy a break - he's obviously stressed out enough without ye asking him the same questions again and again. As you've already said, you dont have to go, so whats with all the moaning?

Before anyone comes up with the masterful quip of "I'll moan if I like", why dont you just give the tournie a chance, if you're sceptical, then dont bother. Who knows it might be great.

Also - its hardly the sign of confidence if you're "expecting" to win 1500, yet are also expecting to bust out 3 times before the freeze-out starts. I hope ye all go and get yer asses beaten on the river by evil bert.

He should be commended for trying to get more poker tournaments played - not roasted about shyte like blind structure and finishing times. I just have one question for evil bert - will there be any tickets available at the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

God forbid people should ask questions before handing money over.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

EB & EB... I'm not comdemning anyone before anything. I will say two things, one in your defence and one against you.

1. I have said that we should wait and see what happens, everything may well be above board etc. I hope it is and if it is I'll be the first to say it here.

2. EB has given the percentages, for which much thanks, but as Henbane points out, he yet again has not answered the question of "a percentage of WHAT". Percentages are of little meaning if you dont know the principal.

I got burned recently in Mayo. I paid good money to go on faith. I was promised everything was above board. It wasnt. I felt screwed and I wont be having anything to do with them again. I'm very glad I didnt promote it to anyone else, in fact I almost dragged Amp along and would have felt guilty if I had. I felt guilty enough for telling my Mayo mates about it.

I am NOT going to have that happen to me again. From now on I dont want "guarunteed" prizepools (which turn into *capped* prizepools during the night) blinds that are designed to get the crowd OUT rather then to determine a table of decently skilled poker players and rebuys that are so ridiculously inexpensive as to make the first session a joke.

So yeah, I'm asking questions before I hand over money. By the way, I'm asking them on my site where you guys came, uninvited, to use what *we* built to advertise your tournie, you wanted the spotlight, deal with it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Teneka

I'm in Dublin City centre, can meet anytime tomorrow before 5.

Let me know,

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭evilbert

just in case anyone is wondering,myself & evil bilbo are not the same person & i don't know who he is (it kinda looks suspicious with the EB and EB.)

anyway as i've stated before the prize fund won't be capped & as we're after selling out the tickets it should be well above €3500 (again depends on how much you guys rebuy.

There will be no tickets on the door as they're sold out.

Anyone without a ticket will not be gaining access to the room as with the room filled to capacity already, it would constitute a fire hazard.

look forward to seeing you all later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Yes - I'd like to confirm that me and evilbert have never met - I just felt sorry for the poor bugger getting slated so much for trying to bring a big poker tournie to the students of dublin. Yesterday was the first I've heard of the tournie, and seeing as its sold out it looks like I wont be going.

The whole buzz with the "guaranteed" pot (which then turns into a "capped" pot) is pretty lousy if the organizers are making a total killing off it, but in the end of the day, if the add says "guaranteed" pot, and it ends up not being more than that, then its hard to argue. I know its bad that people make money by not winning it, but what can you do?

Dev - I take it you must have finished pretty high up in the money to feel so ripped off by the fact the Mayo pot was capped. But still, you must be glad to have won something?

Anyway - tell us how the tournie went - I'll be back again tomorrow - who knows I might go to the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Evil_Bilbo wrote:
    I just felt sorry for the poor bugger getting slated so much for trying to bring a big poker tournie to the students of dublin.
    He wasn't slated. He was asked questions. He didn't answer them to my satisfaction, that's why I'm not going.
    Evil_Bilbo wrote:
    I know its bad that people make money by not winning it, but what can you do?
    Not fúcking give them any.

So does anybody want that ticket? I'm in town until 5 so let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So does anybody want that ticket? I'm in town until 5 so let me know.

Well, it must be tough for you to play when you refuse to touch black cards. How's stormfront these days...

Huh?

I've nothing to do with that site, but thanks for the assumption.

• Advertisement

Odd that...

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=176874 ; http://www.stormfront.org/forum/sho...252#post1554252

Not you then. Clearly. Thanks for sorting that out. I'll go back to rebutting your stormfront-esque comments in Politics. Sorry everyone, shuffle up and deal.

Ticket still on sale,

Want to meet up in town Madsl? Seem to have a lot to say.

You don't deny it then?
    Gonna burn a cross in my garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rolrocks

Poker, ladies, poker
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

This isn't the place MadsL. Also hounding people off-topic and off-forum just serves to make them look victimised or societally censored. Or at least able to claim one or the other.

Actually I was going to suggest the thunderdome!

Nothing to see here....honest. :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Teneka, I'll take it off you but its late now.... Perhaps EB will let me buy from you tomorrow since he knows where to find me.

EB, I'll say this a final time. I hope, sincerely, that what you say is true and if it is you'll find me writing a glowing report of it and congratulating you. I'll be the first to say it and I've never said anything BUT that. I'll be along to show support one way or another, playing or not. I'm glad you've sold out of tickets, I just hope you realise the trust people are putting in you thats all. I hate seeing trusting people messed about.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

No one cares what you think DeV. You're on this board a bit too much. When did you become God's gift to poker?

lol... gosh. I'm terribly sorry.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

This is getting close to the Merrion vs. Fitz thread for quality. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

Teneka, I got a ticket. Sorry I couldnt help you but if you want I know there will be people looking for tickets so if you can get the seating number on the back to the Gresham reception and tell them its for Tom Murphy, I'll see if I cant flog it for you.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

MadsL wrote:
    Well, it must be tough for you to play when you refuse to touch black cards. How's stormfront these days...
    Quality.

MrPudding wrote:
    Quality.
    I Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Skitbra wrote:
    No one cares what you think DeV. You're on this board a bit too much. When did you become God's gift to poker?

was it around the time you created boards.ie by any chance, or was it after that?

heheh...

I got a ticket and went along to play. I've written a report on it here on Antesup... (just in case anyone actually IS interested in my opinion. I'd have posted it here, but you know, I post here too often. :) )

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Us poker players arent think you know, most of us at least can do simple maths!

ha ha ha, quality!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

the c and the n aren't even beside each other, thats what made me laugh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

So to summarise the "kid(s)" did a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

evilbert wrote:
    we'll be starting at 7pm and are hopeful at finishing by 2am.

2nd place was knocked out at EXACTLY 2am!! Crazy!

Seemed to go very well. Well done!

The winner was William (surname escapes me) from UCD. Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Nice work Cormie, out of interest how much was paid out for the top 3?

Advertisement