Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Student Poker Championship

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The top 3 got quite confusing, I couldn't tell you for sure but 1st got something like €1,500 + ticket to Student Poker Championship (£20K prize pool) + entry worth €150 to charity event + Entry to tournament in Red Cow too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rolrocks

A great evening... Although I didn't like the way moves from table to table were done - it was badly organised and put players at a disadvantage... Merging table winners/leaders would have been a much better idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Glad it went well, two of my friends went in (both with won tickets, I canna afford 20eur, yet), one of them came fourth and raked in 400euro plus another 100 online poker account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

Devore,
    Read your report , quite good.
    A few correctionss though, the coin that was flipped was on the cards as opposed to taken from pocket, and I did say that which ever came up I was going all in anyway, so the flip was for fun. I always put a coin old £1, on my cards, having read in one of your much earlier posts that you should have someting on your chips in case they are dumped by someone else in error.
    I was also playing very few pots, u and I were nearly the only two at the table that was playing quite tight. I had doubled up from you a few hands earlier.
    My reasoning behind the way I played the hand was as follows, I would appriciate your view.
    I arrived at the table with 11k in chips(dam all) having played very few hands I doubled up on you, I think, you had kq or kj I had A10 suited, hit straight(hand stood up). Up to 28k or thereabouts, blinded down a bit and took blinds with pk queens. Next hand had a10of diamonds. Decided that if I went all in straight away would get a few callers as players would think I was on the steal, so I limped in, having made up my mind that if only 1 raised I would go all in. You went all in and had to think about it as you had been a rock. Read you correctly that it was a small pair against two suited overcards, didn't hit and you won. Fair enough you were slight fav. If I remember right the blinds were going up next hand to 3/6k.

There was a few right rows during the night, one lad on table beside me got hit with a what he called a "bad beat" pk aces against suited connectors(I think) and got out drawn to go out. Couldn't take it and kept a row going, continuing it onto the table behind me even though he was gone out. He was told to fcuk off. His friend then came to sit at out table and started showing him his cards. I objected saying one set of cards one player. Had to get org. to get rid of him.He then sat down on a free chair on our table and startedmouting off, again I had to tell him to fcuk off and call the org to get rid of him, which they did.
    I had another row when that table broke up. :( I was put at the table behind me. They moved over to let me put in new chair, put down my pint of water and chips looked around and my chips were gone, the fella beside me had taken them :mad: . Eventually after a row, I sugested that we ask a player that was beside me on the prev table roughly how many chips I had, His guess tied up with what I had said there or thereabouts, one asshole said I had a stack of blues only I had only 1 blue the rest were 1k chips. Org decided to take 7k from the fella that picked up my chips and gave me 4k from the org chips and I was moved to your table before I had played a hand. I was realy sore about the way that one or two who had no involvement in the chip saga got involved but how and ever.
    We all enjoyed our first tourney even though there were some very very strange calls for a lot of relative chips. Came in no.22 and got a pack of cards :D for my trouble

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

oh ffs... how come you can never have a rant about a hand without someone on Boards saying "er yeah... that was me actually" LOL...

To be honest I was watching you from the time you sat down. There were few enough tight players and I even intimated that you'd theived with the Queens to see what you were playing! The AT was a good call if you got a read off me, I was steaming a little from having KQ hit only for AT to make a straight on the river prior to that....

I didnt hear you say you were going all in anyway so I took the coinflip for real!! I mean, it wouldnt have been the strangest thing I saw done last night! I thought you played well given your chips, you were never well stacked at our table. Did I put you out in the end or were you moved?

DeV.

• Advertisement

Sure I went all in against you. and lost the coin flip:)
    I remember you on the queens and I showed them if you rember.
    I will post a bit more later.

DeVore wrote:
    oh ffs... how come you can never have a rant about a hand without someone on Boards saying "er yeah... that was me actually" LOL....
    I know the feeling, have done it myself.

To be honest I was watching you from the time you sat down..
    As a matter of interest why?
    I even intimated that you'd theived with the Queens to see what you were playing!
    I knew that , if I was bluffing I wouldn't have showed them, actually I rairly bluff,particul;arly whem very low stacked as it doesn't hurt a big stack to call you.
    The AT was a good call if you got a read off me, I was steaming a little from having KQ hit only for AT to make a straight on the river prior to that....
    I had, in prev good hands that you had you made decent , but not too big raises, you went all in to ensure you got the pot there and then, with no call: therefore you hadn't a big pair, didn't put you on ak, so must be small pair. That was the way I worked it out anyway. You shouldn't have been steaming though, A10 was ahead when the chips went it, so no bad beat IMHO.

I didnt hear you say you were going all in anyway so I took the coinflip for real!! I mean, it wouldnt have been the strangest thing I saw done last night! ....
    True.
    I thought you played well given your chips, you were never well stacked at our table.

Thanks. I had had 28k or thereabouts for a long time at prev table but didn't get cards for a good while, then there was an all in feast for a good few hands with someone all in for about 10 hands in a row, one of them with 12k all in on 6/8offs calling an allin for all his chips before flop :confused:
    So I lost a good few chips on blinds.
    What do you think of the way I played the hand that you put me out on as I put it earlier?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I was watching you because you were new to the table and because you seemed to know what you were doing. You were also a good bit older then the others so I reckoned you probably could play.

What put me on tilt about AT vs KQ was the fact that I hit two pair on the flop only to be rivered a Jack afaicr.

The call with AT is ropey imho. What are you hoping I turn over? I agree with your logic regarding the call though, nicely worked out. All the same, theres too much danger to call imho. That said you were shortstacked and had limped for a decent amount of chips so maybe you felt you had to take the 50/50. If you had gone all in before me, I'd have dropped the 5's.

DeV.

I was hoping to get one reasonable stack to bet something and have a go at it. Didn't think I would get away with an all in prefop as I thought I might ge a few callers and be a major underdog. against underpair a 50/50shot or thereabouts. roughly 3 big blinds was all I had left.I think 3/4 had limped in at that stage so pot a decent size, nearly a trible up chance.Had to go for it.
    BYTW I was watching you for the same reason. You were also older and careful watching everyone. I have a habit of picking up my cards last,except on big blind or very quick as I get them, using the time to watch the faces of other players when they look at theirs.
    Strange table though, one lad with chips in front of him taht weren't belonging to the game, that trew me off for a while as to what chips he actually had& one "studying" while playing.

BYTW the straight was the only river I hit all night, not one other. It was also the only 50/50 pot I won. Hard to battle against that type of run. lost one big pot at prev table nut flush draw on flop, straight draw, 2 over cards on his pocket pair and didn't hit. just one of those nights. It was good to see what standardish our home game is, my brother went out at the same time as me on other table, other lad came in 13th other two came no-where at all, good fun bar the few assholes taht you get everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭F Fiesta

Good to hear you won something from it DeVore

Oh, the reason I was waiting there was because the twat behind the reception wouldn't let me leave in the ticket.

• Advertisement

I could have done a LOT better. :( I've been kicking myself all day for not sitting on my hands and being patient rather then getting involved with 77. Still, I cant believe that guy called for about half his stack with A8 preflop. I cant tell who played worse in that hand, me or him. :(
    Well done again to the organisers.

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

jem wrote:
    Strange table though, one "studying" while playing.

I seen this.... :D very strange,at first I thought he was makeing notes of his play or on other players.At the end of the day maybe he just had alot of "Homework" to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

Hey Dev,i was sitting 2 ur left when u got knocked out,i was the young guy that came over to your table in the corner table with a very large stack due to some great luck.Had 20k in chips,board of A8910, I had A7,stuck it all-in against the chip leader of tournie with 22k at this stage(60 players left) coz he had been bullyin a lot,he calls with AJ, river is a Jack,he celebrates like crazy until sum1 yells straight and i take the pot,tink the cameras were there hand also!from there I was pretty much able to cruise to final table as was good bit ahead of everyone although at final table was about 3rd in chips. Glad to say I held my nerve and won,the biggest win in my 8month poker life.Cant wait for VC UK student championships.

Dev you were very unlucky,it was a terrible pre-flop call imo from the other player,he showed his inexperience by blowing a huge chip lead to only finish 4th when really he should of won. There were a few fitz guys in there who gave me loads of support at the final table,tanx a lot guys.

willis wrote:
    There were a few fitz guys in there who gave me loads of support at the final table,tanx a lot guys.

Willis...I was there,I think a mate of mine was in between you and the chip leader whe he thought he won....that was class,I have no time for players who go on like that far play to you you just smiled when it turned out you won the hand.

Congrats on the win.I am sure if it goes out on TV someone hear will let you know about it.

There was video camera's at it??

F Fiesta wrote:
    There was video camera's at it??

Yea all night....doing interviews with players etc etc.

yeah dub13 dat was ur mate,he was a legend.him and the lads were giving it loadz at the final table,cheering everytime i won a pot. It gave me loads of confidence and i tink it intimidated the others.Tell ur mates tanx 4 the support and im sure ill see them in the fitzy soon enough

willis wrote:
    Tell ur mates tanx 4 the support and im sure ill see them in the fitzy soon enough

I will do,Its nice to see one of the Fitz/Boards lads won it in the end.So we will not see you for the Saturday freeroll anymore now that you are a Poker Star ;)

Dub13 wrote:
    Yea all night....doing interviews with players etc etc.

Bit intimidating no?

the funny thing is Dub13 is that i have never won a ticket in the freeroll before,ive come close but never actually got a tiket although havent been in fitzy much since xmas as playin more and more online,nothin 2 beat a win live though like last night,biggest andrenalin rush ive ever had,i was shakin trying to give an interview at the end and ur mates,well hammered by this stage,were givin it loadz!!Theres a similar tournie here in UCD next Thurs,€20 buy-in with rebuys etc,€4,000 guaranteed i tink.www.pokersoc.com has all the details i tink.should be good fun,same standard as last night i reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Don't want to break your balls, but enough of the text talk. Look all those lovely keys on your keyboard, I suggest you use them.

Still can't believe there was interviews etc at it...would have put me straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

It was just one camera and a few photographers, I didn't find it intimidating at all, just added to an already good atmosphere.

I went out very early, about half an hour after top-ups (went all in with KK, picked up a trip on the river but got busted by a flush), but I didn't hear much criticism about how things were run, other than maybe complaints about the blinds structure and top-ups. It was definitely organised with best intentions, and there were enough characters at the tables to make the night a good laugh.

And the poker.ie chicks were hot.

Ah right,

And did you have to give interviews and all that? Or were certain people just picked and said 'yeah'?

Advertisement