Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canada for the summer...

• 13-01-2005 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

there are 6 of us going to canada for the summer , prob vancover. can anyone recomend some place to rent a house/apartment. on campus would be cool housing would be cool and any tips for getting jobs??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

irishguy wrote:
    there are 6 of us going to canada for the summer , prob vancover. can anyone recomend some place to rent a house/apartment. on campus would be cool housing would be cool and any tips for getting jobs??

If you are coming to Vancouver, try to find somewhere to stay in Kitsilano. Great place to be in the summer time.

UBC (University of British Columbia) may have on-campus accomodation going - check with them to see.

Job-wise, watch the local papers. www.vancouversun.com usually has some classifieds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

UBC does. And the frat houses have been rebuilt.

Search this forum for about 20 other threads like yours and some useful answers (if I do say so myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

UBC, doesnt offer any accomodation there unless ur working there for the summer or attending a course.
    How do you rent frat houses? do you have to contact them directly?
    is there are boards.ie equivalent in canada?

Bri how did u rent the place for the summer?

I rented a quite expensive (but comfortable) place called St. Andrews (google) inside UBC. The frat houses back then wern't an option. I'd say you still pay the frat guys upon arrival, it's all very informal. I booked UBC housing yonks in advance but they were such a pain and very very strict we ended up hiding a few extra in our 1 house. They were also sorta religious or something (?!) but we didn't partake in that stuff. We just used the local UBC sports facilities (better than anything Ireland has!) and free 'net access, and the local pub/bbq.

As said above Kitsalano was the other option - rent a basement and buy some stuff from the flea-markets. This may add up to what you'd pay for an expensive furnished place after taxis and/or effort in getting furniture though!

UBC is relatively far out from downtown but it's just so sweet to live in when the weather is fine (look at a map and you'll see why).

Jobs: I went 5 weeks without a decent job. Don't give up and don't bother planning too much in advance, just have your CVs ready printed and don't go for any selling knives for great wage jobs.

Anything else PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

looked at st andrews and it isnt that bad price wise, $600/month, plus taxes for a Quad Co-Ed Apartment $37.5 + taxes, which seems a bit too cheap, crap that might be $600 per person per month .we would really need a furnished place ,as we are only going for 3 months it itsnt worth the hassle in getting our own furniture.
    As for jobs we all have some sort of qualification in IT/medical/education so we should pick up some sort of job. Whats the money like there in the non skilled area ? $10 an hour'ish? retail/bars that kind of thing
    also how do we go about renting a frat house? do we just have to show up at there door and ask to rent it? cus i would prefer to have a place b4 i go

:edit:
    forgot to ask is it possible to go sking in vancover in the summer or is that just a winter thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

irishguy wrote:
    :edit:
    forgot to ask is it possible to go sking in vancover in the summer or is that just a winter thing

You can ski at Whistler until the end of July. Blackcomb closes this year towards the end of April, while Whistler closes on June 5th. Blackcomb then re-opens and you can ski the glacier until July 31st.

Don't know if I would recommend it - glacier skiing can be pretty cruddy.

I imagine you'll find lots of other things to do - you're better off buying a mountain bike and some body armour and joining the hordes of DH maniacs, for example... google 'north shore + mountain bike' and you should get lots of information about the biking in Vancouver.

Whistler was un-skiable when I was there a few summers ago.

Word Downhill / Mountainbiking Championships were on though...just keep your eyes peeled.

One thing I would recommend in buying a bus pass just before the start of the month - you can prob. risk a kids one but I think Student ones were launched a year or two ago...brilliant thing to have - works on all transport and you'll save a fortune if out in UBC, going out to Metroland or crossing by the sea-busto North Vancouver.

Good luck!

Advertisement