Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Rip-Off ?

Options
  • 13-01-2005 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Thought this is pretty interesting... I was looking at replacing my ageing mobile and saw a nice new Motorola V3 on the vodafone.ie site:

http://www.vodafone.ie/phonestariffs/ourphones/phonedetails.jsp?mysterons=MOTV3&type=postpaid&zone=phonestariffs&x=25&y=11

First impression: hmmm,looks nice..
    Second impression: WHAAAAAAT?!?! 500 euro ?!

Then checked out vodafone.de site (as vodafone.uk is down for maintenance):

http://www.vodafoneshop.de/shop/detail/index.cfm?LOGID=200501131807011582511031106314002999182331826804601663712&artikel_daten_id=2818

250 euro ??

Now, as I understand it there's a difference in VAT between Ireland and Germany... 14% and 21%.. So that explains 7% of the difference... Where did the other 93% come from?

I also understand that prices are influenced by markets... And I also understand that the Irish mobile market is the most lucrative in europe, with the Irish mobile users spending more than any other europeans. Doesn't that mean that if the market is better the phones should be cheaper? Apparently not.

Don't know if this really belongs here.
    To be honest I was expecting to see a bit of a difference, but not 100% !

I'm gonna contact vodafone next and see if they'd care to explain why we're paying twice the price :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

The german offer is dependant on you signing up for the Vodafone 100 option, thats the only difference I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

You neglect to mention that to buy the phone without a contract costs €499 in Ireland, €699 in Germany.

Rip-off Germany?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Hmm, I didn't see a sim-free option on the Irish site.
    There's only two prices there, upgrade or first time connection.
    Both are 499 euro.

Vodafone Germany are selling it sim-free for 699.
    And expansys are selling the sim-free phone for 584 euro..

Not much of a saving compared to other contract phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You guys just cannot grasp the difference between Ireland and Germany can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

and the text and calls prices suck 2

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

2 year contract in Germany (fairly standard)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

*adele* wrote:
    and the text and calls prices suck 2

For anyone still convinced that the ARPU for Vodafone Ireland and O2 is gained through inflated pricing and NOT higher usage, have a read of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=204221&page=1&pp=20

Disclaimer: This may dispell any misconceptions you have about the charges incurred by Irish mobile phone users and if you do not wish to know the truth, look away now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Re: the Motorola v980 phone- its been withdrawn from several stores in Dublin (incl. the Carphone Warehouse), and the Vodafone stores are selling them off at 29.99 with contract to clear them. There appears to be a battery problem on the 3G phone (longevity that is) along with a reception problem on the v980 and the v3 phones. They look nice, but seriously advise you avoid them. A useful rule of thumb- pop into the Carphone Warehouse on Grafton Street and ask the Manager what his phone is.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Good news, it's down to €99,50 (in Germany)

Advertisement