Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panic Attacks!

• 13-01-2005 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Ok straight to the point! A couple of years ago i started gettin panic attacks, went to doc, gave me pills grand for a while! Went on holiday first time on sunny holiday had a massive recession was like been back a the beginning, completely ****ed up my head again and now the thoughts of it turn me inside out.

Met this brillant girl who just happens to love going on holidays every year!
    She understands about it and luckily enough she has friends that are going this year but i cant help but feel like i m letting her down!

Basicly i m thinking of goin back to the doctor for the pills! If anyone has any other ideas i would be very grateful for it

john

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Go to the doc, get the pills for now and ask the doc to help you find out why you're getting the attacks in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Doctors in Ireland seem to hand out sedatives as if they were candy. :rolleyes: A panic attack is something psychological, so going to see a psychologist about it would be the best thing to do. Forget about the stigma attached to them, you don't have to be mad to find a few sessions useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sleepy wrote:
    Doctors in Ireland seem to hand out sedatives as if they were candy. :rolleyes: A panic attack is something psychological, so going to see a psychologist about it would be the best thing to do. Forget about the stigma attached to them, you don't have to be mad to find a few sessions useful.

Good advice, I get the occasional panic attack and I have experienced how badly they can **** up a good night out or a relationship. Personally go see a therapist about it. They are usually related to some incident that happened when you were young, and therapy can help to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

oh i know what caused them major death in the family, they should up a few months later, psychologist was the one who gave me the pills, he just kept asking why are you getttin them, i was like i dont know, but there s nothing to get worked up over, i m like tell that to me when i m freaking out!
    Think i will go back on the pills couldnt hurt i guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The_Goose wrote:
    oh i know what caused them major death in the family, they should up a few months later, psychologist was the one who gave me the pills, he just kept asking why are you getttin them, i was like i dont know, but there s nothing to get worked up over, i m like tell that to me when i m freaking out!

I found that pills helped mine, but they are not for everybody. The main thing is not to get upset over the fact that you are taking drugs for it. Once you start beating yourself up over taking drugs to help yourself you're on a quick path to some major denial and self-abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I have a Microsoft Word document that any sufferers are welcome to if they want to pm me their email address.
    It's full of info and good advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

Sleepy wrote:
    Doctors in Ireland seem to hand out sedatives as if they were candy. :rolleyes: A panic attack is something psychological, so going to see a psychologist about it would be the best thing to do.

Not always. In many cases panic attacks are physiological and are
    caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. The same genetic condition
    that results in clinical depression in some people also causes panic attacks
    in others.

In that situation, you are better off seeing a psychiatrist and getting some pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Follow the advice and take any medication that you have been put on by your GP and/or Psychologist.

Human beings are frail and some need medicinal as well as counselling help. It is part of life. Many individuals who suffer from "Panic attacks" simply grow out of them for some reason, others find they can control the attacks after they discover what triggers the symptoms.

No one is perfect, and there is no [magic bullet] for life's trials and tribulations, and basic acceptance of a condition as only another human frailty can prove of benefit.

If you have been given sedatives and they work for you, why not just keep taking them until you find an alternative.

Neil_Sedaka's offer of a word document on this problem sounds like an offer worth taking :) .

Be lucky.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

The_Goose wrote:

When my mother lost my grandmother, she only started suffering panic attacks months after the event. There is no set time for panic attacks to start and stop.

One thing that is crucial to remember is that a panic attack can do you no physical harm. The worst thing that will happen is hyperventilation, and if that happens, you'll faint. If you faint, your breathing will return to normal and you'll be grand. I find that if I keep that in my head when I get a panic attack, it helps me to think "well, screw it, let it come, what can it do to me?" which, in turn, makes the attack end more quickly.

I hope this all works out for you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

I started getting panic attacks recently not sure where they came from exactly, I know I was driving up the M1 in uk and came accorss all faint whiles in the fast lane and was too scared to pull over so I drove to the nearest services which was about 30miles from whre I'd felt faint, and by the time I got there I was a nervous wreck shaking like a chilly snowman :D. Anyway I was about 70 miles from home and 60 miles from where I was going so stuck in the middle really, I managed to leave 5 hours later and just drove back home at something ridiculous like 50mph.

I thought that was a one off, but I get them nearly everyday now in different ways, sometimes I feel dizzy especially at traffic lights or in trffic jams, if I see cars queing up that's it I'm off .
    And now I'm getting them in places like supermarket queses, banks, post office, shopping centers and I've no idea why I'm getting them in these places but it's horrible start's off with the "don't panic" in the head then I start to get reallllly hot, then my stomach feels like its spinning, and my arms get pins n needles sometimes.

I've tried everything in the book, I don't want to take sedatives coz it's all in the mind isn't it there panic attacks? I did get some rescue remedy which works for all of 2 seconds :S

• Advertisement
Advertisement