Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Compress 6gig file to fit a dvd

• 13-01-2005 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭

I need to get a 6gig file onto a dvd to send to a client. I've tried winzip but its says the file is too big and the compression estimates with winrar are too big. Any suggestions?? - my boss doesn't want to split the file... :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

tried tar-gzipping it???? what sort of file is it? mightn't be possible to compress it too much... option to get a dual-layer burner and disks??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

tis a .dmp file from a server. I think i might just bung it on a hard drive and send that to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ah bosses, who'd have 'em :rolleyes:

Burns: Ah, yes, Simpson. I'll have my lunch now. A single pillow of shredded wheat, some steamed toast, and a dodo egg.
    Homer: But I think the dodo went extinct-
    Burns: Get going! And answer those phones, install a computer system...and rotate my office so the window faces the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

do you really need to send the entire 6GB???? surely there's a lot of useless irrelevent stuff there? can you not FTP it to them either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

use winrar to split the file into 2 .rar files, one thats 4.7Gb and the other 1.3Gb, Now burn them onto separate DVD's and give instuctions to the other party to copy both to the same directory at their end, Once they extract the 1st .rar file Winrar will aurtomatically join the file where it was split...
    Google the user guides for Winrar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

use winrar to split the file into 2 .rar files, one thats 4.7Gb and the other 1.3Gb, Now burn them onto separate DVD's and give instuctions to the other party to copy both to the same directory at their end, Once they extract the 1st .rar file Winrar will aurtomatically join the file where it was split...
    Google the user guides for Winrar
    tk123 wrote:
    my boss doesn't want to split the file...

You could try http://www.7-zip.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

buy a dual layer dvdr?
    (presuming your drive supports burning them...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

yeah, 7z will do best, either LZMA or PPMd compression are best. Beware, it'll take a LONG time to compress something that big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

tk123 wrote:
    tis a .dmp file from a server. I think i might just bung it on a hard drive and send that to them!

Is this an oracle database export file or other? Should compare fairly well assuming one of compress tools above handle the initial size. The Gzip tools should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yep it's a .dmp file from a database....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I believe the current version of Winzip (7.0 or 7.1) allows compression of such large files.

Another option would be to dump the files from Oracle out as smaller chunks.

It will take ages to zip/unzip a 6gb file no matter what compression software you use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

jdempsey wrote:
    I believe the current version of Winzip (7.0 or 7.1) allows compression of such large files.
    Winzip's up to 9.0.

But yeah, you're right, the 4GB barrier has gone with the introduction of 64-bit extensions and there's support for splitting files now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

sceptre wrote:
    Winzip's up to 9.0.

Correct. I'm losing track of the version numbers of all the s/w I use!

Advertisement