Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on amd semprons

Options
  • 13-01-2005 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

my aunt is considering buying a PC and i want to advise her on it, the specs ar okay on this machine except it has a sempron 2800, now i know semprons are similiar to celerons but in comparison terms what is a sempron 2800 equal to perforamce wise when comparing it against a pentium 4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

Unless your aunt is into gaming, the sempron would do fine, the Sempron actually beats some versions of the p4 in this: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-15.html , thats a gaming benchmark, but its still a good measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Her son is expecting to use it for gaming, they have been looking at PC's on dell and other places at extremely high prices, how ever i came across a philips PC being sold by the esb or something in the news paper for €599 coming with everything she is looking for and all that needs to be added is a decent grafix card and possibly another stick of ram!

sorry to be a bother but the sempron cpu isnt there only the amd athlon proccessors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Invader Zim

It's fine, te g. card is the most important factor for games these days.

The main CPU is mostly used for AI etc, the graphics card is incharge of the intensive stuff like textures.

cool thanks zim, ill be telling her to get it so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

You may want to check that the pc has a agp (or pci-X or -E what ever it should be) port if your going to put a gfx card in, unless your going to do with a pci one.

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

AFAIK the ESB on doesn't have AGP, it just has onboard VGA. So rubbish for games. Also they don't come with a Windows CD.

Advertisement