Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Man Utd May contain goals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well done lads.. Compare a 24 year old Gerard with 5 seaons under his belt with a 30 odd year old Keane with 12 seasons under his belt.

Some of you lads can be awful thick at time.. Once bad game and he is a bad player. Yet for the previous week half of ye have been saying who Liverpool depend on him too much.. Why would a team depend on him so much if he wasn't any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

as a utd fan i can safely say gerrard is a world class player
    quote from fergie gerrard is at the level keane was when he started out for utd so in his view and mine he will be one of the top players in the world when he hits his peak
    he just might not be with liverpool when he does peak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Well done lads.. Compare a 24 year old Gerard with 5 seaons under his belt with a 30 odd year old Keane with 12 seasons under his belt.

Some of you lads can be awful thick at time.. Once bad game and he is a bad player. Yet for the previous week half of ye have been saying who Liverpool depend on him too much.. Why would a team depend on him so much if he wasn't any good?
    Easy - Liverpool are no good :D

sorry you walked into that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

hilarous... good to see things returning to normal so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

fantastic result for utd, wasn't pretty, didnt need to be, 3 points are vitaly important to keep chelsea under some sort of pressure.

credit to utd though, our defence was top notch today, really hardworking even if their not the best individually. utd showed their class when reduced to 10 men, calmly putting passes together and working in tight triangles making liverpool work for the ball, that's vintage utd.

3 points at anfield are always nice, it puts us 10 clear of liverpool but its the 11 behind chelsea that's disappointing for us, i really thought spurs would challenge chelsea. 1 point off arsenal is progress, we'll overtake them soon with the form we're in but we need chelsea to slip up soon.

look at chelse's next 9 league games: portsmouth (h), blackburn (a), man city (h), everton (a), west brom (h), norwich (a), palace (h), sthampton (a), b'ham (h).

that takes us up to april 9th, then come the big boys, utd, arsenal and n'castle all within about 28 days. it's not looking good for chelsea dropping points up until utd. i'd expect them to win all them games the form their in. however i'm hoping their games in other tournaments will have an affect on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

hilarous... good to see things returning to normal so..

Dont Mind the scuts JTG, I agree with you. What ever you said. ;)

Gerrard is a class player but one player doesn't make a team a lot of the players around him are ordinary, That's Houliers fault and Benitze has improved things but it was never goint to happen in a season or two. It's stupid for United supporters to be rubbishing Gerrard when not long a go we were hoping we could sign him,

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

And apparently Gerrard isnt world class now? Again, that is totally ridiculous. He wasnt great today, but hey who doesnt have a bad game? He was brilliant against Arsenal this year, and has completely bossed games between both United and Arsenal over the last few years. In general if he plays well against these teams, Liverpool win, if not, they lose. It is hard to consistently play well in the big games when you are the only player in your team at that level.
    He has never bossed a game against Utd. He's scored twice, but never bossed a game. He bossed the game against Arsenal a while back, but other than that I haven't seen him doing it. I've now heard both Andy Gray and John Giles stating that they think he doesn't do it often enough in the big games to be spoken of in the same vein as Keane/Viera. That's blatantly obvious. He's not world class. He's good. But definitely not world class. That title is brandied around far too often these days, especially in relation to English players.

I for one am not saying he isn't any good. I think he's a very good player. But he's overrated. He's not up there with Keane/Viera. You can say he's not as old as them, or as experienced, ok fair enough. But I don't think he's as good at 24 as either of them were. He doesn't use the ball intelligently enough, and goes missing in the big games.

if you asked all the top managers in europe you can sign gerrard or lampard do you think any would pick lampard?
    i dont think many if any would
    why is that i wonder is it because gerrard is over-rated :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

d22ontour wrote:
    if you asked all the top managers in europe you can sign gerrard or lampard do you think any would pick lampard?
    i dont think many if any would
    why is that i wonder is it because gerrard is over-rated :confused::confused::confused:
    You can't compare Lampard and Gerrard though. I'd compare Lampard with Scholes before I would Gerrard. There's plenty of goalscoring midfielders but there's not very many Gerrard type midfielder and every team could do with them. Supply and demand I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Dissapointed with the pool today, really thought they would win this one going into it. Thought the first 20 mins Liverpool were shading it, then Rooney knocks one in and for about 15 mins we were all over the place and were lucky not to go 2 down came back into it in the last 10 mins. Started off the second half well, then Baros went off injured for about 10 mins which really inturrepted are flow, Brown then got sent off, then it was back to the walls stuff for United but we never really looked like scoring.

Thought Carragher was Liverpool's MOM, superb today, Ronaldo or Rooney did not get any joy of him. Baros was lively up front and Morientas showed some good touches, I personally thought Garcia did not have to bad a game compared to some other games I have seen him play for the pool. Was on the end of one of are only real chances in the second half. Gerard struggled today and keane showed him how to dominate a game. However Gerard does not play the same type of game as keane sitting in front of the back four breaking up play and dictating the tempo, he likes to push forward and make those surging runs into the box, we realy missed Alonso today as I said we would, he is really important to the Liverpool midfield. One thing about Gerard today and people saying he never performs against UTD, He sustained a groin strain in training yesterday and only played today after pain killing injections, could have affected his play a bit.

Thought Keane, Heinze and Silvestere had great games today, Heinze looks like a great buy only real time I have seen him this season. All in all UTD deserve the win but to be honest they did not really threaten us today, Ronaldo was no existant and ok Rooney scored the goal but apart from that was his usual self, but there was not much in it really, UTD had 2 attempts on target, scored from 1, Liverpool had 2 did not score.

IMHO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

pros and cons for both teams .

Pros:
    Liverpool:
    Risse , he was very good today and his recent form is excellant , Kewell shouldn't even be considered with the way this guy is playing .

Carragher , very solid , nothing looked like getting past him.

Morientes , didn't set the world alight but one thing I noticed was the runs he was making , some of them were pefect only some incompetent Liverpool players(Gerrard , Garcia and Baros) couldn't pick him out , and he's leathal at one on ones .

Man United :
    How well the defence played without key figuires(G Neville and Ferdinand) and I think its for one main reason that also helped them againts Chelsea.....P Neville , he seemed to not only be playing well but keeping the defence organised(which Carrol helps a lot more with than Howard by the way) , and I would like to see P Neville start ahead of G Neville when both are fit again .

Keane , he certainly isn't past it when the big occasion comes round (Fergie was probably right to rest him in the build up to the game too , my MOM) He was Supurb today and one thing I also noticed was his restraint , never getting agrovated after late tackles on him , he almost seemed to be counting to ten in his head to help him calm down before doing anything :D .

Cons:

Liverpool:
    Garcia , he was **** , and couldn't have passed the ball any worse than he did today .

Gerrard , maybe its because of the high expectations I have of Gerrard but he was simply outdone today , and his passing was suprisingly poor .

Dudek with another mistake , although he did look very calm and collected after that

Lack of options , once United went to 10 men , the tactics din't change at all and the people that were brought on were either useless or just did more of the same .

United:
    Rooney , overated and only worth about £8million , other than his goal he was crap(and his goal only went in because of an error aswell)

I know they were missing attackers(Van the whatever you want to call him , Giggs , and Smith) but United never looked likely of getting a second , and if Liverpool scored I think United could have been in trouble .

Overall though I think the most notable thing was.........that was a damn good game to watch :) .

eirebhoy wrote:
    You can't compare Lampard and Gerrard though. I'd compare Lampard with Scholes before I would Gerrard. There's plenty of goalscoring midfielders but there's not very many Gerrard type midfielder and every team could do with them. Supply and demand I suppose.

please refrain from putting scholes and them two in the same sentence you are doing his talent an injustice

:mad:

scholes is a genius as much as i like gerrard i wouldnt put him in the same class as him

d22ontour wrote:
    please refrain from putting scholes and them two in the same sentence you are doing his talent an injustice

4 moths ago , id have said you would have been cruel to Lampard for using them in the same sentance , as things are , both players are of similar quality in my opinion .

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote:
    scholes is a genius as much as i like gerrard i wouldnt put him in the same class as him

too different types of players , but I would rather a Gerrard in my team than a Scholes , im afraid against what United fans think , he's not World Class , Nedved and Ronaldinho are way ahead of him and any others , not to forget Zidane can still play a bit .

Big Ears wrote:

United never looked likely of getting a second , and if Liverpool scored I think United could have been in trouble .

Did you not see Keano hit the Bar?

United didn't need to score a second so its impossible to tell what would have happened if they did. I assume they would have been more attacling had they needed to score.

The Muppet wrote:
    Did you not see Keano hit the Bar?

United didn't need to score a second so its impossible to tell what would have happened if they did. I assume they would have been more attacling had they needed to score.

sorry , I meant to say in the second half , of course for the 15 minutes after the goal , they look liked they could have breaked and scored but other than that , it was all out defending , and holding onto possesion .

and of course they would have been more attacking had they needed to score .
    But in the past United would have killed off the game , without having to go more attacking , a simple counter attack , would have been the thing to do it .

Big Ears wrote:
    too different types of players , but I would rather a Gerrard in my team than a Scholes , im afraid against what United fans think , he's not World Class , Nedved and Ronaldinho are way ahead of him and any others , not to forget Zidane can still play a bit .
    Well, judging by todays game that's some statement. People go on about how Scholes is a more attacking midfielder etc, which is true, but what people don't seem to realise is that he helps so much defensively too. Not because he's a great tackler (he's brutal) but because when we are under pressure he is always an out. The defence can give him the ball, 9 times out of 10 he holds onto it, and slows the game down. Gerrard doesn't do that, he's always looking for the fast ball. That part of his game will develop with time, but he doesn't have it at the moment, the instinct of when to just get on the ball and slow the game down. You'd rather Gerrard, yet he's supposed to be a better tackler, and an attack minded player. Which one had more control on the midfield today? Scholes. Himself and Keane ran the show. Watch the match again, see how he always shows for the ball. To say you'd rather Gerrard than Scholes is laughable, imho. But it's all opinions eh?!

Big Ears wrote:
    Oh, and by the way, if Scholes isn't world class, is Gerrard?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Oh well another win a anfield, well deserved, a class above in fairness, pool huffed and puffed but really created no clear cut chance, with Rooneys wonder strike (cough cough :) ) and keanos cracking effort we should have been out of sight at half time.

The defence was excellent, Mikey and Heize once again unreal, P Nev puts his life on the line.
    Keano, what a man, head and shoulders above any player on the pitch, Flecth and Scholes were very good, Ronaldo - crap again!
    Rooney, did nothin really bar his "wonder strike" - too fat, best thing about him was his celebration in front of the kip, and even side stepping the phone, easily upset the scousers now isn't it!
    Saha did well all match, bit unfit.

TBH I think this pool team has gone backward, no keeper, Pelligreno (sp) reminds me of Blanc - Gerard , class player quite match, taught a lesson by Keane, rose his elbow to Scholes, again same incident as Rooneys, a no incident, BUT if Rooney got 3 matches then what is different!
    Garcia, Nunez, Biscan, Pongolle - cost a lot of money but what a load of rubbish.

Ye can say give Benitez time, ye have and he has brought in 6 Spanish players,
    Nunez - crap
    Garcia - crap
    Pelligrino - not sure,
    Alonso - cracking player
    Josemi - not sure
    Morientes - cracking european player, but how many european league players have not made it?

Not too worry, hope all ye lads who put money on a scouse win are not too broke, sure ye might learn for the next time ;)

Well, judging by todays game that's some statement. People go on about how Scholes is a more attacking midfielder etc, which is true, but what people don't seem to realise is that he helps so much defensively too. Not because he's a great tackler (he's brutal) but because when we are under pressure he is always an out. The defence can give him the ball, 9 times out of 10 he holds onto it, and slows the game down. Gerrard doesn't do that, he's always looking for the fast ball. That part of his game will develop with time, but he doesn't have it at the moment, the instinct of when to just get on the ball and slow the game down. You'd rather Gerrard, yet he's supposed to be a better tackler, and an attack minded player. Which one had more control on the midfield today? Scholes. Himself and Keane ran the show. Watch the match again, see how he always shows for the ball. To say you'd rather Gerrard than Scholes is laughable, imho. But it's all opinions eh?!

First of all as someone pointed out Gerrard was injured , second it was Keane that did the vast amount of controlling the midfield not scholes , scholes seemed at his most usefull when United were down to 10 mean and afraid to attack so he held on to the ball , other than that he didn't do anything exceptional and was involved a bit but not much in the midfield battle .

Oh, and by the way, if Scholes isn't world class, is Gerrard?

not yet , but possibly in time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

All three players are good :)

On the basis of today,
    Keano and Scholes are better.
    howevre if you want to look at say, 2 months ago, or perhaps last season, gerrard was better than both combined.

If you offered me a straight swap right now, Keano for Gerrard, I'd take it.
    Future :)

---

p.s. I've always considered Scholes in the same breath as Nedved and Zidane.
    I honastly think he is the best outfield player United has ever had(that I have ever seen anyway, and obviously the great dane :))

Liverpool:

Garcia - had a bad game, is weak, but is a world class technical player who is simply adjusting to the premiership.

Alonso - one of the hottest prospects in the world

Nunez - was gotten for free so who cares :)

Pallegandrandanra or whatever - I don't know much about him. You're judging him on one match, where he played quite well, yet he is ****.
    The only thing I know about him is he was a key part of the team that won la liga twice. Yeah I think he might be good

Morienties - Solid player, scores in big games, hasn't played since last season properly, yet still created 3 chances today. Is gona be a good signing, especially with baros, perfect partners, with a baros wide striker who crosses in for morientes to score a **** load from

and of course, the most important spanish accquisition, Benetiz

One of the best managers in the world, I was gutted to hear he wa sgoing to liverpool cause I wanted him to take over United.
    Created an amazing team that beat Real madrid and Barca to win the league.
    Comparable to taking Middlesborough and them winning the league.

Liverpool, a team in transition :) Next year they are gona challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Liverpool looked like a team viod of ideas in the 2nd half.
    David Walsh made an interesting point in todays Times. In the past Gerrard would have been launchint into tackles like a mad-man, so has he calmed down or does he not care as much.........

What price Burnley in the cup?

I think the perfect winger to come on instead of Nunez would have been......Partridge , why does he always have to be injured and when he isn't he is either on loan or trying to regain fitness from his last injury , and by the time he gets close to that first team he gets injured again :mad: .
    For me he looked brilliant at Coventry and could have been a solution to Ireland's right side of midfield(before Reid , really showed what he could do) , but now it looks like Flood will be ahead of him in the pecking order , and with Ireland having so many wingers(Duff , Kilbane(sometimes) , Reid , Quinn , Flood and S.Reid and S.Finnan being options as right sided midfielders , its looking doubtful he'll ever make the break through .

What is he now 24 ?

yeah he is 24 he would want to get away from liverpool now, he is going nowhere only made a couple of appearences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

d22ontour wrote:
    yeah he is 24 he would want to get away from liverpool now, he is going nowhere only made a couple of appearences

easier said than done, anyone who knows richie's situation will know the misfortune he's gone through with injuries etc. he's had 3 knee operations and still at liverpool, only being second in line to carragher when it comes to duration at the club. Just getting over the third operation now so i for one wish him the best of luck in recovering from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i cant help but laugh at people who talk about richie partridge as if he's one of the best wingers in the world having played what, 1 1st team game in his career?! :rolleyes:

he's obviously not good enough at the highest level if he cant get into the liverpool 1st 11. if he's wise he'll get away and play football weekly, not be content at a big club watching the big players play from the stands.

he is a decent player he doesnt control who picks the team didnt houllier pick heskey over baros :confused:

peter beardsley couldnt get into the utd set up when he was there and was let go :(

a move would be best for partridge if he has no future there, fletcher had some bad injuries and look at him now

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    First of all as someone pointed out Gerrard was injured , second it was Keane that did the vast amount of controlling the midfield not scholes , scholes seemed at his most usefull when United were down to 10 mean and afraid to attack so he held on to the ball , other than that he didn't do anything exceptional and was involved a bit but not much in the midfield battle .
    If he wasn't fully fit he wouldn't have played, and he certainly wouldn't have lasted the full 90 minutes, so I don't buy that excuse. The fact is, other than the Arsenal game I haven't seen him control the game in a top match, and that's what he needs to do to be mentioned in the same breath as Keane/Viera. Scholes was not quite as good as Keane yesterday, but he still did a hell of a lot, and was a damn sight more influential than Gerrard. As you say, Keane did the controlling in midfield. As I said the day previous to the game he would. I posted in this thread that Gerrard would not influence it, and I was proven right. Keane showed once again that he's a cut above Gerrard. Gerrard has a lot to learn. I'm not saying he's not a good player, what I am saying is that he's not as good as people, especially the English press, make out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

If he wasn't fully fit he wouldn't have played, and he certainly wouldn't have lasted the full 90 minutes, so I don't buy that excuse. The fact is, other than the Arsenal game I haven't seen him control the game in a top match, and that's what he needs to do to be mentioned in the same breath as Keane/Viera. Scholes was not quite as good as Keane yesterday, but he still did a hell of a lot, and was a damn sight more influential than Gerrard. As you say, Keane did the controlling in midfield. As I said the day previous to the game he would. I posted in this thread that Gerrard would not influence it, and I was proven right. Keane showed once again that he's a cut above Gerrard. Gerrard has a lot to learn. I'm not saying he's not a good player, what I am saying is that he's not as good as people, especially the English press, make out.
    But he has, you are only looking at this year.

Last year he was excellent against United. And if I recall his performance was summed up when he beat Keane to a loose ball and marauded towards the penalty box to win the penalty that ultimately won the game. He also got on the scoresheet at Highbury last year. As I said already he has put in two storming performances (that I remember off the top of my head) previously against United and managed to get on the scoresheet both times.

That is another thing with him, even if his overall play is not at its best, he regularly influences "big games" with goals or assists. That is the sign of a world class player.

You cant compare his performance to Keanes yesterday. Keane has Scholes along side him, doing all the offensive work and incisive passing for him. Gerrard has to do this for Liverpool but has a large amount of defensive duties too, so he will invariable make more mistakes than Keane. His performance yesterday was a bit disappointing, but as was the whole Liverpool team, Im not going to be stupid and lay the blame on solely Gerrard. He is allowed one bad game a year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

d22ontour wrote:

I'm not talking about ability wise. Comparing Gerrard and Lampard is just like comparing Henry and RVN. They're two completely different types of players. Lampard is a goalscoring midfielder, nothing more, nothing less. Gerrard does a lot more than score and set up goals.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You cant compare his performance to Keanes yesterday. Keane has Scholes along side him, doing all the offensive work and incisive passing for him. Gerrard has to do this for Liverpool but has a large amount of defensive duties too, so he will invariable make more mistakes than Keane. His performance yesterday was a bit disappointing, but as was the whole Liverpool team, Im not going to be stupid and lay the blame on solely Gerrard. He is allowed one bad game a year ;)

What has that got to do with Roy Keane or Man U. So because he supposely has to do the duties of 2 players, other players should go easy on him is it! If he is not for the job, it up to his manager to sort out. Otherwise other teams are going to see this as another weak link in the liverpool team.

As for allowing him only one bad game a year, I take it thats it for 2005 so, as he had a few bad games in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christ, are'nt you lot bored with this yet?

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:
    Christ, are'nt you lot bored with this yet?

Mike.

I was only thinking the same before my last post.

Leonard wrote:
    What has that got to do with Roy Keane or Man U. So because he supposely has to do the duties of 2 players, other players should go easy on him is it! If he is not for the job, it up to his manager to sort out. Otherwise other teams are going to see this as another weak link in the liverpool team.

As for allowing him only one bad game a year, I take it thats it for 2005 so, as he had a few bad games in 2004.
    Dont be stupid. What Im saying is it is stupid to go on rambling that he is not in the same class as Keane/Vieira based on yesterdays game. I didnt bring up the whole bashing Gerrard thing, and I dont want it to continue. Particularly with people who regurgitate "he doesnt do it in the big games" when he has and will do again.

Everyone is raving about Keanes performance yesterday, including all the papers today. But for me Scholes was just as good in the game, when they both play well they complement each other so much. They have such an understanding having played together for so long that I doubt they even speak much on the field. They both know what they have to do. Scholes performance for me was summed up by winning the ball at his own corner flag and then producing a sublime pass up the wing to the half way to set up an attack. Ian Darke (thats the commentators name isnt it?) was raving when he did it, and he was spot on.

But he has, you are only looking at this year.

Last year he was excellent against United. And if I recall his performance was summed up when he beat Keane to a loose ball and marauded towards the penalty box to win the penalty that ultimately won the game. He also got on the scoresheet at Highbury last year. As I said already he has put in two storming performances (that I remember off the top of my head) previously against United and managed to get on the scoresheet both times.

That is another thing with him, even if his overall play is not at its best, he regularly influences "big games" with goals or assists. That is the sign of a world class player.

No, I wouldn't say to lay the blame solely on him. So by your rationale Rooney must be world class? YOu're obviously not one of those who feels he's overrated, or overpriced? Since he was decisive yesterday by scoring the winning goal? I mean, does that mean Neil Mellor is world class, as he scored the winner versus Arsenal? I'm sorry, but scoring a goal does not show a world class player. Regularly being up there with the best players on the park in the big games is the sign of a world class player.

No, I wouldn't say to lay the blame solely on him. So by your rationale Rooney must be world class? YOu're obviously not one of those who feels he's overrated, or overpriced? Since he was decisive yesterday by scoring the winning goal? I mean, does that mean Neil Mellor is world class, as he scored the winner versus Arsenal? I'm sorry, but scoring a goal does not show a world class player. Regularly being up there with the best players on the park in the big games is the sign of a world class player.
    No that is not what Im saying. And I know you know that is not what Im saying. You are just trying to be smart.

Mellors was a once off. He hasnt played consistently well, like Gerrard, in other games. Rooneys goal yesterday (all be it from a mistake), is a sign that he is well on the way to being world class. I say this because (like Gerrard) he has performed at the top level before, and will do again. Yesterday is an indication that he can influence "big games" when he is even not at the top of his game.

• Advertisement

No that is not what Im saying. And I know you know that is not what Im saying. You are just trying to be smart.

Mellors was a once off. He hasnt played consistently well, like Gerrard, in other games. Rooneys goal yesterday (all be it from a mistake), is a sign that he is well on the way to being world class. I say this because (like Gerrard) he has performed at the top level before, and will do again. Yesterday is an indication that he can influence "big games" when he is even not at the top of his game.
    You see, honestly imho Gerrard hasn't done it in the top games regularly. He doesn't control the games like a true midfield general should. All I'm saying is he shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Keane/Viera yet. This is where he is overrated. The two of them have regularly shown up and bossed the big games. Gerrard hasn't. This is why I think he's overrated. For the record I think Rooney has a lot of potential, but is overrated.

You see, honestly imho Gerrard hasn't done it in the top games regularly. He doesn't control the games like a true midfield general should. All I'm saying is he shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Keane/Viera yet. This is where he is overrated. The two of them have regularly shown up and bossed the big games. Gerrard hasn't. This is why I think he's overrated. For the record I think Rooney has a lot of potential, but is overrated.
    But he has you just refuse to reognise it. In every game that he has played and Liverpool have won against either United or Arsenal in the last three years he has been outstanding. But Im not going to bother to continue with this because you wont listen.

I dont think either Keane or Vieira have ever carried a team every week the way Gerrard has (as much as it pains me to say it). If he had the same class of players around him as the two mentioned he would look even better. Of course the two of them have performed in more "big games", but they both have years on him.

Neither Vieira or Keane were playing at the same level that Gerrard is now at their age IMO.

But he has you just refuse to reognise it. In every game that he has played and Liverpool have won against either United or Arsenal in the last three years he has been outstanding. But Im not going to bother to continue with this because you wont listen.

I dont think either Keane or Vieira have ever carried a team every week the way Gerrard has (as much as it pains me to say it). If he had the same class of players around him as the two mentioned he would look even better. Of course the two of them have performed in more "big games", but they both have years on him.

Neither Vieira or Keane were playing at the same level that Gerrard is now at their age IMO.
    Well as I said in an earlier post, I've seen both Giles and Gray recently talking about how they feel he doesn't do it in the big games. So perhaps it's not me who's refusing to see something. As for Keane carrying a team, how about bringing Ireland to the World Cup of 2002!! lol

Roy Keane was a record signing for United when he was 22 ish and eventually took a young paul inces place in the team . To say he was not playing at the higest level at the time is untrue.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Gerrard is nowhere near the player Keane was at Gerrard's age. Keane performed week in week out, in all big games. Gerrard lacks confidence when he is up against it. He didn't want to even look at the ball for most of the game on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

As a Pool fan, UTD totally deserved it. Heinze was excellent. Gerrard was non existent and didn't look too interested.
    Dudek should have tried a "Carroll" and threw the ball out of the net and pretended it never crossed the line ;) TBH, they should have thrown the phone at him instead of Rooney.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    As a Pool fan, UTD totally deserved it. Heinze was excellent. Gerrard was non existent and didn't look too interested.
    Dudek should have tried a "Carroll" and threw the ball out of the net and pretended it never crossed the line ;) TBH, they should have thrown the phone at him instead of Rooney.
    Lol. That's what I was thinking. Incidentally, I wonder did the guy whose phone was thrown get it back? I mean, it's obvious he didn't throw his own phone - some scouser pick pocketed him and threw it, no doubt!! :D (Actually event may not have occurred. Joke. Before i get banned.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Lol. That's what I was thinking. Incidentally, I wonder did the guy whose phone was thrown get it back? I mean, it's obvious he didn't throw his own phone - some scouser pick pocketed him and threw it, no doubt!! :D (Actually event may not have occurred. Joke. Before i get banned.)

Terrible saying that about a scouser, but even as a 'pool fan, I'm laughing :)

I thought the result was fair enough, they wanted it more. United players should learn not to celebrate in front of opposition fans though, its asking for trouble. Apparently Everton fans sweren't amused in the 4-3 game last year
    either.

Don't think they'll have enough to catch Chelsea but stranger things have happened (see Heskey being a professional footballer.....) :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

.....Well i missed the first as i was off buying an amp but managed to catch the second!Have to say United looked more in control until they went down to 10 men, Liverpool really should have done better with the extra man but they didnt!

Did anybody notice how card happy the ref was against the United players in the second half!? hehe was allmost comical!

Trigger! wrote:

Did anybody notice how card happy the ref was against the United players in the second half!? hehe was allmost comical!
    Even the United fans saw the Funny side of that . They chanted" "fergie have a word, fergie fergie have a word " after one of the later bookings in reference to murinhos rant last weekend.

BolBill wrote:
    United players should learn not to celebrate in front of opposition fans though, its asking for trouble. Apparently Everton fans sweren't amused in the 4-3 game last year
    WHY? Every player celebrates in front of the end they score into , why should united be any different? That sort of crap need to be weeded out of the game, if supporters can't stomach their team conceding goals and the celebarations that inevitably follow they shouldn't go to the match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement