Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Man Utd May contain goals

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Fair play to Roy - he was awesome.
    That was Gerrard's worst performance of the season - and its not right to judge someone on their worst day (how many bad games did Scholes and Giggs have in the early part of the season???? doesnt mean they're not class). I disagree with the couple of suggestions that Gerrard wasnt trying. I thought he was trying too hard. What I think he sometimes lacks in big games (when things arent going well) is a bit of composure. This was compounded on Saturday by the fact that his central midfield partner was playing even worse than he was. I thought that was the worst I've ever seen Hamann play.

Luis Garica does not play for Liverpool. He plays for Luis Garcia. I've no time for him.

I was very skeptical about Morientes. But his performance gave me a lot of hope. Great control and touch and doesnt waste possession. If he's motivated, he'll be good. I wouldnt have taken him off either, even though he was obviously tired, as we had nobody on the bench.

Unlike Garcia, at least Nunez tries. But he's useless. Extraordinary that such an ordinary player has played with Real Madrid and Liverpool.

Dudek is a disgrace. No excuses for what he did (again).

I wonder is it a Liverpool supporter or Liverpool hater who does up the Team of the Week in the Irish Times? Brad Friedel in goal, Davie Thompson in midfield and Robbie Fowler and El Hadji Diouf up front. Funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

The Muppet wrote:
    WHY? Every player celebrates in front of the end the score into , why should united be any different?

Why? because the police are getting compliants from fans, thats why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

BolBill wrote:

Yeah but whats he gonna do, run all the way to the other end of the pitch to celebrate?
    Players nearly allways run to either side of the end they score in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

BolBill wrote:
    wHY? Is it against the law?

I edited this onto my last post while you were posting so i will say it again. Football supporters (united included) who can not stomach a player celebrating scoring a goal they should stay at home and kick the telly instead. To say they shouldn't celebrate is stupid and narrow minded imo.

P.S. how's my spelling now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Fair play to Roy - he was awesome.
    That was Gerrard's worst performance of the season - and its not right to judge someone on their worst day (how many bad games did Scholes and Giggs have in the early part of the season???? doesnt mean they're not class). I disagree with the couple of suggestions that Gerrard wasnt trying. I thought he was trying too hard. What I think he sometimes lacks in big games (when things arent going well) is a bit of composure. This was compounded on Saturday by the fact that his central midfield partner was playing even worse than he was. I thought that was the worst I've ever seen Hamann play.:D
    Composure. Well put. That's what I think too. I don't think Gerrard is a terrible player, as I've said again and again. But I don't feel he's quite there in the big games to be called a Viera/Keane as yet. Perhaps he's on his way there, and I think you've hit the nail on the head with the word composure. As I said against Chelsea recently he ran around a lot, showed a lot of huff and puff, but when he got on the ball he wasted it by trying things too early, always going for the big ball. And you've used the word to explain why - composure...or lack thereof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Re Rooney's celebration. Was he not simulating a BJ?

Thats what I thought he was doing, but I couldnt be positive as I only saw it from a side on positon. He had his cheeks puffed out and I thought he had his tongue pressed against the side of his cheek to accentuate it. Obviously the third part of the simulation is hand movement close to the face, but its not needed to give the desired effect and he wasnt stupid enough to go that far.

Personally I dont get offended by such things, as he was only having a go at his "mates" who had been having a go at him. Parents might get upset I suppose.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Bj?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

BJ = Blow job.

I didn't think that was what he was doing Rooster. Did he not put is hands behind his ears in order to show the Liverpool fans that he had silenced them? That is what I thought anyway. I don't know what he was doing after that though. You might be right.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well at least the FA have the cop not to reprimand him. Readin on some site that Bennett noted that he (as in Rooney ;) ) was taking a lot of abuse from the pool fans during the warm-up and match.
    There is no reason why he could not celebrate in front of the kop, he probably should not have returned to celebrate the 2nd time, just walked away and gone on with it but then again I was not playing in the match and taking the abuse he was getting.
    At the end of the day he is a pro, so he should handle it like one.

It was funny every single time a United player got a throw in or free-kick near the sideline the amount of scousers standing up and shouting abuse at them. A number of them had kids sitting beside them and even some of them were kids, great example.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good pic, must have been the lad who through the phone at him that took it, he wanted a close up of him so instead of zooming he threw the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Rooney's not getting done by the FA....

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050117/4/8jm4.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

To the guy who commented about the bad example to kids i agree. I was at anfield for the Arsenal match, took my brother over for his 18th. He happens to be a gooner(idiot). We were sitting in the centenery stand and when Arsenal scored he jumped up(see he's an Idiot!) and the abuse he got from some mother sitting behind us was unreal. However a fair number of pool fans around us told the women to grow up(although in much harsher words). Still was a pretty bad example to set for her kid.

But it's hardly just a liverpool thing. I ended up getting tickets for a Pool United game a few years ago and only found out when me and my mate got there that they were for the Stretford end. We went in anyway not wanting to waste the trip(although our Pool Jerseys were left in the hotel) and of course Danny Murphy happened to pop up and score the winner in the dying minutes. Gob****e here went and jumped up cheering(i guess being an idiot runs in the family) and i swear i actually feared for my life. The security was straight over to us and we were spat on by entire families. Kids and their parents. The security gaurd told us we'd better go now or else there was no way they could garauntee our saftey. Shockingly we left pretty sharpishly.

So it's hardly a liverpool only phenomonen. I'd assume this happens in every ground every week.

Btw we got a mention on the Gerry Ryan show by some united fans who were over for the match and were disgusted by what happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

On a side note i ment dudek/kirkland and howard/carroll are known for clangers in these type of games

What did i tell ye ;)

Rooney's celebration was borderline imo

I had no problem (As an arsenal fan)with it but would the same utd fans be so kind if gerrard did the same to the stretford end!

I remember at the start of the season Henry got blasted in the press and here(some users calling for the FA to ban him straght away :rolleyes: ) when he blew a kiss to his wife/girlfriend who was in a corporate box above some blackburn rovers fans(i think it was them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

rooney's already been done by the fa recently so you'd expect he'd get away with it, he didnt murder anyone and he'd every right to celebrate in front of the kop after the abuse he'd received himself.

if liverpool fans give it, be man enough to take it. thats what i say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It was Everton I beleive Jank . Rooney should receive a warning about his future conduct , nothing more nothing less .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think your right. Everton at home in 2003. Jesus seems like yesterday...how time flies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

united deserved it, pool were terrible.

i think beneztiz should of started with nunez, or else have him playing same time as morientes. hes the best crosser of the ball and moreintess the best at heading so too take morientes off for nunez was a bit strange i felt.

Advertisement