Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Expiry

Options
  • 13-01-2005 9:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Does the NCT expire at the start or the end of the month on the disc?

What's the lead time for bookings in Cork around now, anyone know?

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

go to www.ncts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I though it expired on the same date in month as issued. 12 April for me.

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It doesn't really matter - as long as you have a booking set you are fine. Anyway, the gardai nor the tax office care about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

do the gardai not care about it? what happens if u park ur car on the street and it doesnt display a disc, but has the tax and insurance disc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Bond-007 wrote:
    NCTS Ltd is a private corporation, I don't trust information they provide. I don't trust anything they provide in fact, I think they're government-sponsored scammers and thieves. I'm looking for independent confirmation please.

adam

• Advertisement

wel it expires on the anniversary of registration . ie if u bought it on the 14/1/2001 it would be due on the 13 of the jan/05 . likewise it will run until the 13/1/07.
    u can look at them as scammers but i suppose 48 euro inc vat at 21% is not alot for the service they provide. i suppose the tyre checks/brake checks alone would have saved a few lives by now at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

dahamsta wrote:
    NCTS Ltd is a private corporation, I don't trust information they provide. I don't trust anything they provide in fact, I think they're government-sponsored scammers and thieves. I'm looking for independent confirmation please.

Then do the sensible thing, keep your car well looked after and let NCT scammers go to hell, spend the money on a few pints for yourself instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

u can look at them as scammers but i suppose 48 euro inc vat at 21% is not alot for the service they provide. i suppose the tyre checks/brake checks alone would have saved a few lives by now at least.
    50 quid for them to stick the car on the rack and carry out a few ****ty tests - and rev the complete **** out of the engine? No thanks!

Remember the gardai wouldn't prosecute anyone for NCT a while back, due to there being no basis in Irish law for it? Has this been remedied?

Boggle wrote:
    50 quid for them to stick the car on the rack and carry out a few ****ty tests - and rev the complete **** out of the engine?
    Going by a huge proportion of people I've talked to - nearly everybody - it's actually two tests, with the second one invariably for something ridiculous. On one occasion for me it was a rear seatbelt that had slipped behind the seat(!), but in most cases it's "misaligned headlights". If we're to believe NCTS Ltd, Ireland has the highest proportion of misaligned headlights in the world. And this scam has increased in frequency since NCTS Ltd changed their "policy" recently.

That's why they're state-sponsored scammers and thieves, and not because they operate an auto-testing facility, a concept I have absolutely no problem with (although I firmly believe it should be run by the state, as should all naturally monopolistic industries). And that's why lomb is the freshest trollbait I've seen on Boards.ie in a while. Your scepticism muscles are going to need a little exercise if you're going to hang around here lomb.

adam

mate, if u knew anything about the world ud find that even if the car needed retesting it would still be cheaper than putting a car through an mot in the uk every year. 40 euro is buttons for the service they provide. take my word for it. i can honestly say the going rate at main dealers is 75-100 euro per hour for labour +vat. i had a test done the other day, and from the time they took it to time they finished it was 20 minutes. now when u take into account admin etc. 40euro is buttons.
    as far as ur seatbelt slipping behind ur seat and them failing it this is wrong. however visual retests are free and when u received the car u could have removed the belt and then gone back in and asked them to have a look. same goes for hubcaps etc. i know this as i did a test the other day and they wanted the hubcaps off and therefore failed it. i took them off and went back in and it was passed. it does clearly state that ur seatbelts and the buckles are visible, hub caps are removed and the tyres inflated properly.
    if ur headlamps are misaligned there misaligned......
    48 euros every other year is 24 euro a year. which is less than 1% of the cost of running a car. if u cant afford this u cant afford a car full stop.
    finally they tried state sponsered monopolys and the end result was cthe soviet union and if uve ever driven a lada well lets just say..........
    capitalism does work, look at the tremendous tech progress in the last 20 years. however in certain cases it does not work usually anytime corruption is involved as then there is no innovation like the.........soviet union.

• Advertisement

and by the way if they keep insisting on visually retesting stupid things then its there loss, in the time it takes them to check the problem.
    one thing i dont like about the nct is its hassle no doubt about it but having said that many irish cars being driven down the country in the past had tyres as bald as a bald eagle. i think this problem has been helped certainly.

however its biggest effect has been depression of used values here which is a bad thing if u like new cars but a good thing if ur a bargain hunter.

Dahamsta College

Dealing With Dahamsta 101

Course One

How To Prevent Dahamsta From Reading Your Post

Lesson One

Call him "mate".

Adam & Lomb Keep any furthur correspondence to PMs from now on.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I have never nct'd my cars yet, as thr guards don,t seem to care and you don't need it for anything else. However I just learned it's a mandatory court appearance and 5 points if somehow someone cares, worrying :confused:

Then book a test!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

nah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

stratos wrote:
    nah

Mike, you got the horse, and the water, but I don't see him drinking :D

Advertisement