Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NetGear wireless problem in XP

• 13-01-2005 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of putting this in either Wireless or Broadband, but I figured with the nature of the problem it might be better suited here.

I got a NetGear WG511 wireless PCMCIA card for the laptop about a fortnight ago, and am having a blast with it under my own account.
    However, when someone else tries to use it under my Guest account, it doesn't seem to recognise the card in the slot. When I put the card it under my own Admin account, the client automatically kicks in, and its connected within seconds. However when I put it in under the Guest account, nothing starts, and when I try to manually start the client, it tells me that the card is not inserted. :confused: I tried to reinstall the client and drivers in the Guest account, but as expected it grumbled that I wasn't under admin privilages.

Anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be? I am using XP Home SP2 if its of any help...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

That sounds peculiar two suggestions - could the guest account be locked for internet access somehow? Firewall software perhaps?

Alternatively have you tried making the guest admin - installing the software again and then taking admin privs away again.

Maybe the netgear has some dodgy software that only functions correctly as an admin?

Maybe try with just the basic driver and use the microsoft connection utility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ok, feel free to ignore this, I resolved it by disabling the Guest account (I had been using the Windows default one), and setting up a new limited account for them to use instead, and not it picks it up fine...

Still strange that the default Guest account wouldn't pick it up, but at least I could work around it...

Advertisement