Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin Jol admits interest in Dutch trio

• 13-01-2005 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Beeb website story
    Tottenham have revealed they are monitoring the progress of Dutch international trio Mark Van Bommel, Rafael van Bommel and Wesley Sneijer.
    Spurs boss Martin Jol admitted he was closely watching PSV Eindhoven's Van Bommel as well as the Ajax duo Van der Vaart and Sneijder.

Now I reckon we're taking the piss if we think Van de Vaart would come to WHL, but Van Bommel is a real prospect.

What's Sneijder like? I haven't seen much Euro footy recently, nor internationals for that matter. Any idea?

In addition to that, the Reid to Spurs rumour mill is still churning away. £4.5 million is being mentioned, which IMO is too high for a player who's club are looking at relegation as a real prospect. beattie only cost £6 million, and Morientes £6.3 million for God's sake!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

What's Sneijder like?

He is young 20 or 21 and very promising a flair midfeilder or winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

it seems we are trying to have the youngest aged team to get into europe ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

it seems we are trying to have the youngest aged team to get into europe ever :)

From little acorns great oak trees grow...

You by any chance heading to the schticks for the cup match? Have my application in the post, hoping I get a ticket + hoping the Ryanair flights don't shoot up in price in the meantime!

By the way, even for you that tagline is stretching the imagination... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

In addition to that, the Reid to Spurs rumour mill is still churning away. £4.5 million is being mentioned, which IMO is too high for a player who's club are looking at relegation as a real prospect. beattie only cost £6 million, and Morientes £6.3 million for God's sake!
    Yeah, Spurs had a bid of £2m up front plus £2m depending on appearances rejected. Soton also had a similar bid rejected. Forest are apparantly looking for £4.5m.

On a football front I'd like to see Reid go to Spurs as it seems they're on the up but on the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing him go somewhere else to spite the Spurs fans. The majority of Spurs fans on the 606 message board don't want to pay £4.5m for Reid while the vast majority of Soton fans would happily part with £4.5m for Reid.

Reid would cost a total of about £3 in wages over 4 years. Morientes would cost almost triple that. Reid is 22 while Morientes is finished when his contract ends. Reid will also no doubt be worth a lot more than £4.5m in a couple of years.

eirebhoy wrote:
    on the other hand I wouldn't mind seeing him go somewhere else to spite the Spurs fans. The majority of Spurs fans on the 606 message board don't want to pay £4.5m for Reid while the vast majority of Soton fans would happily part with £4.5m for Reid.

In fairness eirebhoy, the majority of Spurs fans aren't Irish, and as such see Reid as just another transfer target, instead of one of the better players to emerge from their national ranks for a few years. They look at him languishing in a poor Forest team fighting relegation, where he hasn't been guaranteed a place (for whatever reason) and they wonder why Spurs have been linked with a £4.5 million (and much of the speculation has centred around Forest's valuation of the player, and whether the fee will be upfront or based on appearances etc.) move for him when he is clearly struggling with his weight.

Spurs fans are wary of another unproven player, and they're right to be. We've pissed away millions over the years, and have precious little to show for it. For Soton to spend that sort of money is a novelty, and so its not surprising that their fans are excited about a prospective move.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Reid will also no doubt be worth a lot more than £4.5m in a couple of years.

You say no doubt, I say wait and see.

• Advertisement

Meant to add this:
    eirebhoy wrote:

Reid would cost a total of about £3 in wages over 4 years. Morientes would cost almost triple that. Reid is 22 while Morientes is finished when his contract ends.

Spurs aren't in a position to be spending that sort of money on talent for the future, plain and simple.

move for him when he is clearly struggling with his weight.
    He broke into the Forest team 2 full years ago and has had 3 managers in that time, if he was overweight I have no doubt it would have been sorted out.
    Spurs aren't in a position to be spending that sort of money on talent for the future, plain and simple.
    He has the ability already, no potential about it. Maybe a lot of people think its taking a risk because he hasn't played in the premiership but there's certainly no risk, he's way too good for that and has proven it with his 4 man of the matches for Ireland already (theres players with 50 caps and no MOM). I just can't think of a player that looked as good as Reid in division 1 that failed in the premiership. There are lots that have failed to make the move up but none looked as good as Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Mark Van Bommel may join Tottenham, but dutch press have already declared an Ajax one-two in Rafeal Van Der Vaart & Wesley Sneijder Completing a move to Barcelona in the summer transfer window. Van Bommel would according to reports Algemeen Dagblad "Dutch Newspaper" would love to hook up again with Frank Arneson. For one thing Ajax men born and bred would never join a club head by PSV Eindhoven man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i dont think we need van blommel. he is too injury prone and a bit old. About 26 or 27. Will we get value for money? I personally dont think so.

Van der Vaat and snjeider are a little to ambitious for us too. From the way i see it i think we only need to add 1 or 2 players to the team. Not that we cant be improved but bringin in too many players may upset the bond which seems to be between the players since jol took over.

Reid would be excellant buy but think a bid of 2mil would do it. i think he is out of contract in the summer...or maybe i am wrong. Perhaps a right winder would be better than investing more money in our left side

Is there an irish spurs supporting club or anything?

I don't think Spurs need another central midfielder, Mendes, Davis, Carrick and Brown should be enough.
    sikes wrote:
    Reid would be excellant buy but think a bid of 2mil would do it. i think he is out of contract in the summer...or maybe i am wrong.
    Spurs had a bid of £4m rejected so I doubt £2m would do it. ;) He's out of contract in 2006.

• Advertisement

OK, rumours on Spurs fansite Topspurs suggest Reid will sign very shortly.

Apparently he didn't train with Forest today, and isn't in their provisional squad for this weekends match that was circulated to local press in Nottingham.

In addition, an as yet unnamed player was spotted at the Spurs training ground this morning in a black merc.

This all sounds like bull I know, and I'm only after getting access to the site this week so I can't speak for the reliability or lack thereof, but I was turned onto the site by an Irish Yid I met on the way home from our 5-1 trashing of Soton in december who swore the rumour boys were dead on with their "news".

eirebhoy wrote:
    He broke into the Forest team 2 full years ago and has had 3 managers in that time, if he was overweight I have no doubt it would have been sorted out.

He's chunky eirebhoy, there's no denying that.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    He has the ability already, no potential about it. Maybe a lot of people think its taking a risk because he hasn't played in the premiership but there's certainly no risk, he's way too good for that and has proven it with his 4 man of the matches for Ireland already (theres players with 50 caps and no MOM).

He's also had his quiet games, or have you forgotten about Cyprus? And realistically, how many English football fans know anything about developments within the Irish team? We don't register on their radar, and when we do its usually a distorted vision they have. Take the response to Saipan as an example.

Spurs have a history of bad judgement with signings from lower division teams:

Matthew Etherington - Off-loaded to the whammers.
    Ginger Pele - Playing Championship football next season.
    Bobby Zamorra - Another playing for wham.
    Simon Davies - Dogged by injury, and a shadow of his former exciting self. Won't be with us for long.
    Anthony Gardner - The jump of a Ginger Pele, the first touch of a Carlton Palmer.

We've taken Davenport on what, £1 million + appearances? Dean Ashton went to Norwich for £3 million + a sell-on clause. Reid ain't worth £4 million upfront.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    I don't think Spurs need another central midfielder, Mendes, Davis, Carrick and Brown should be enough.

Brown is a traget for Brum as a replacement for Shaggy Savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

In fairness Etherington is a damn good winger , and im not sure about Norwich definetly going down , the've got a decent chance of staying up , due to the low quality of teams in that part of the table .

Big Ears wrote:
    In fairness Etherington is a damn good winger

Relative to the league he's now playing in, or just in general?
    Big Ears wrote:
    im not sure about Norwich definetly going down , the've got a decent chance of staying up , due to the low quality of teams in that part of the table .

Not a chance. It will definitely be West Brom and two of Norwich, Soton, and Palace. Palace will survive methinks, Johnson's goals will be enough.

I can confidently state that any team reaching 35 points will survive.

Relative to the league he's now playing in, or just in general?

Not a chance. It will definitely be West Brom and two of Norwich, Soton, and Palace. Palace will survive methinks, Johnson's goals will be enough.

I can confidently state that any team reaching 35 points will survive.

just in general .

Well thats the thing I thought too .
    West Brom are gone for sure , Southampton look way too shaky at the back and then it goes down to either Palace or Norwich .Johnsons scoring goals but not many other are doing so for Palace .So its 50-50

Big Ears wrote:
    West Brom are gone for sure , Southampton look way too shaky at the back and then it goes down to either Palace or Norwich .Johnsons scoring goals but not many other are doing so for Palace .So its 50-50

Drifting off-topic here, but a lot will depend on how quickly Dean Ashton adapts to the Premiership. If he does a Johnaton Stead and bangs a few in they'll have a fighting chance, other than that they're screwed. C'mon, they're relying on the Ginger Pele at CB for jaysus sake!!! :D

Drifting off-topic here, but a lot will depend on how quickly Dean Ashton adapts to the Premiership. If he does a Johnaton Stead and bangs a few in they'll have a fighting chance, other than that they're screwed. C'mon, they're relying on the Ginger Pele at CB for jaysus sake!!! :D

Their **** alright , but them and Palace are about as equally **** . Ashton could have a big impact though , and if he finds his form then things really would get interesting .

Who knows maybe we'll see Johnson and Ashton both starting together for England someday .

OK, rumours on Spurs fansite Topspurs suggest Reid will sign very shortly.

Apparently he didn't train with Forest today, and isn't in their provisional squad for this weekends match that was circulated to local press in Nottingham.

In addition, an as yet unnamed player was spotted at the Spurs training ground this morning in a black merc.

This all sounds like bull I know, and I'm only after getting access to the site this week so I can't speak for the reliability or lack thereof, but I was turned onto the site by an Irish Yid I met on the way home from our 5-1 trashing of Soton in december who swore the rumour boys were dead on with their "news".
    Yeah, I think it is bull. This is the most likely reason Reid isn't in the squad:
    http://www.nottinghamforest.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10308~613249,00.html

although, I'd actually say he is in the squad. He was seen at Forest's ground getting treatment today according to someone on foot.ie too.
    He's also had his quiet games, or have you forgotten about Cyprus?
    Scored a cracker and got man of the match. ;)

:o

Ah arse, trust me to make such a nig bloody blunder against Mr. Encyclopedic Knowledge of all things Irish... :D

I meant the Faroes and Switzerland (had to check back for threads on both games to see what I thought then, old age is a killer... ;) ), with the emphasis on the Faroes match.

Anyway, back on topic:

Latest rumours I'm hearing is Ameobi to Spurs with the Toon buying Yakubu from Pompey, though where he thinks he'll get Euro football next season at Newcastle I don't know... :p

Have a look at this, I'd love to see him move to a decent Spanish team:

http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2005/0116/1104400405900_1105886524131.html
    16/01/2005: Nottingham Forest manager Gary Megson has revealed that four clubs - including one from Spain - have expressed an interest in signing midfielder Andy Reid.

The Republic of Ireland international has constantly been linked with a move away from the City Ground after stating his desire to leave the struggling Championship outfit.

The 22-year-old could leave before the end of the January transfer window, with Premiership side Tottenham believed to be among the clubs interested in him.

According to Forest's website, new boss Megson has revealed that three top-flight sides in England, as well as a Spanish club, are keen on the want away wideman.

But the Forest boss insists Reid will not be sold on the cheap. "Andy is a big asset for this club and he will not be leaving unless it suits Nottingham Forest," Megson told www.nottinghamforest.co.uk.

"We would like to hang on to him but I believe he has made his feelings known that he would like to leave."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Maybe him and Harte could build up an understanding at Levante ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

I don't see why Spurs couldn't get Van Der Vaart, they've got the connections and they look to be on the up at the moment. I'm not sure VDV would be good for them though, he's a bit overrated. He hasn't played well for a while now and hasn't been snapped up any of Europe's elite for a good reason.

Van Bommel would be a superb signing for them though and Sneijder would be fairly handy too.

Advertisement