Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

KPH Dials

Options
  • 13-01-2005 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Now that we are moving over to KPH pretty shortly I've been looking for somewhere to get a new piece of paper thing (no idea what theyre called) that goes in behind the speedo that shows my speed in KPH.

I drive a 01 fiesta and although KPH is there its very bloody small and will be a little too distracting trying to read it while driving, I prefer to just glance down at it every now and then to check my speed.

Anyway I remember seeing these somewhere online and I've gone on a brief check through some of the links in the Knowledge thread and an extended google search with no luck.

Has anybody got any ideas where to get them?

Failing this I'm going to have to take it out and make one myself but I'm not entirely confident that it will be accurate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What you want is a set of lockwood dials. Not cheap, about £30 Sterling but can make your instrument panel look sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Thanks John exactly what I was looking for. Theyre a bit on the pricey side though at 60Euros a pop,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yeah I have to admit the new signs have gone up in my area and I have tried driving on the limit and considering I have a dot on the inner part of the dial to show my KPH speed even I have trouble sticking to the right speeds.

Personally I'm most pissed of about this 50 mph crack for roads around my area. Really if they wanna be improving roadsafety then they need to improve the roads and improve the joke of a "driving test" (also called acting test) and also quit the prov licence lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

don't suppose anyone would know where i'd get one for a 96 almera? had a look at the lockwood site but didn't see it there. how expensive are these to have fitted anyway?

don't suppose anyone would know where i'd get one for a 96 almera? had a look at the lockwood site but didn't see it there. how expensive are these to have fitted anyway?

You fit them yourself.
    If you cant remove 4 screws to fit them yourself, you shouldnt be driving a car.

• Advertisement

ah well if it's only a few screws then i'll be grand. if i can manage engine parts i can manage that, i just wasn't sure if they needed to be calibrated after fitting or anything like that

Most of these dial kits dont need the needle to be removed when installing, they slot over your old ones!

However if they do need removing just remember where the needle was when you removed them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

I want to change my speedo to kph as well, surely Ford dealers can get their hands on some standard ford european dial kits... I'd feel better about it if they fitted it. I know I wouldn't get caught for going 51kph in a 50 due to the whole "I'd never be sure about the calibration" thing ,lol. It helps when your selling on the car as well IMO from both a "It's in KPH (what are miles?)" point of view and a "got it done @ a ford dealers "view

BTW
    can anyone answer above question - can you get official Ford kph dials in ireland? if so how much do they cost?

also, anyone got the URL for the lockwood site? Googled and can't find it (yes it is one of those days)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

JohnCleary wrote:
    You fit them yourself.
    If you cant remove 4 screws to fit them yourself, you shouldnt be driving a car.

I'd wager that removing the instrument cluster and gaining access to the dials isn't always going to be as easy as you make out, depending on the make and model. Also in my experience of removing and reinstalling dashboards there's the danger of introducing all kinds of creaks and squeaks that weren't there before.

to get @ my fiesta you've to remove the surround cos the glass is behind it (The surround goes round the clock in the center console also)Think I'd leave it to the pros and blame them when it goes wrong!

Also Cheers EB for the url

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I can't comment on their quality, but this Ebay shop will sell you a set of dials for a tenner:

http://tinyurl.com/49hqy

I've bottled a search for "Golf", but they have plenty more. Clearly, they're selling these for tuning freaks, so you won't find a nice, subtle set of dials quite like the ones you already have. Doesn't bother me - my speedo has only ever had km/h on it.

Dermot

Update: The Ebay comments on these particular dials are mixed - most customers pretty happy, but some complaining about poor quality, especially noticably pixelly imaging. Also some folks complaining that backlighting doesn't work effectively (dials are not translucent), but this may not affect all cars.

Advertisement