Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB on Win98... 'USB NET CARD' drivers?

• 14-01-2005 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure whether this should go in the Broadband or Computers forum.

Am trying to install Broadband on my girlfriend's old computer (for her father). But it only has Windows 98.

Have hooked up the modem... but when i connect the USB cable, it prompts me to install a 'USB NET CARD' and i can't find any drivers for it on the computer and the Windows 98 Setup disc is long gone!

Anybody have any links to drivers for this, or info on how to install it successfully?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

A USB modem will need its own drivers, so you should have a CD to go with it. Obviously I don't know the make of the one you're using (since you didn't specify), but from my own experience in Eircom it sounds like you're trying to install a Netopia 3341. If that's the one you're using, then you can get the drivers here (the second from the bottom). If it's another make/model, try searching for them in Google.

Another problem you may have is that the installation will need some files from the Windows CD (which won't be good, since you say the CD is lost) to complete the setup, which is something I've seen a few times installing on 98. Might wanna borrow one from a friend.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

basquille wrote:
    Not sure whether this should go in the Broadband or Computers forum.

Am trying to install Broadband on my girlfriend's old computer (for her father). But it only has Windows 98.

Have hooked up the modem... but when i connect the USB cable, it prompts me to install a 'USB NET CARD' and i can't find any drivers for it on the computer and the Windows 98 Setup disc is long gone!

Anybody have any links to drivers for this, or info on how to install it successfully?

Another point is that afaik usb was not very well supported in windows 98 it was better supported in 98SE. If you can manage it (its catch 22 I know) a visit to the microsoft site might yield some upgrades for the windows 98 installation on the old pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers for the advice!

Will look into it tomorrow.

Looking back at Windows 98 this evening... i'm amazed how we coped without the oh-so-practical Windows XP.

Another way round this might be to buy a cheapo usb card for the pc - you would only need usb low speed and this should come with its own drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

dub45 wrote:
    Another way round this might be to buy a cheapo usb card for the pc - you would only need usb low speed and this should come with its own drivers.

The missing drivers are for the modem, so getting another USB interface for the PC wouldn't solve anything. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying here.

• Advertisement

GiMiC wrote:
    The missing drivers are for the modem, so getting another USB interface for the PC wouldn't solve anything. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying here.

Sorry I should have elaborated - I meant in the event of windows 98 not handling the usb connection.

Advertisement