Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 computers, 2 modems, 1 phone line

• 14-01-2005 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My friend has Eircom broadband, he has the eircom modem and all that. I got wireless sorted in my house so I gave him my UTV PRESITIGE 630 ZyXel modem.

His pc is in his kitchen is connected with the eircom modem and he has a laptop upstairs.

Can he bring the line upstairs and use my utv modem to be online in his room at the same time as being online downstairs?

Is it possible to even be online with eircom using the utv modem? thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

The type of modem/router you use shouldn't really matter, so don't worry about that. You won't be able to connect two different modems/routers to the same phone line. If your friend wants to have the net connection on more than one PC in the house he's gonna need to network them, either by using a wireless router or laying some ethernet cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ok, thanks for that. That's a pitty, he could always just use the utv modem when the downstairs pc isn't on though.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cormie wrote:

Can he bring the line upstairs and use my utv modem to be online in his room at the same time as being online downstairs?...........

Given the general lack of ubiquity amongst humans why would he want to do this? (other than to make a redunamt modem feel wanted!)

This is yet another thread generated in a sort of way by you buying that laptop - the guinness book of records definitely deserves your application!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just counted there, I've made 20+ threads that I wouldn't have if I didn't get the laptop! not that much really, thanks for your help anyway. I was just trying to flog the modem to my friend. hehe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cormie wrote:
    Just counted there, I've made 20+ threads that I wouldn't have if I didn't get the laptop! not that much really, thanks for your help anyway. I was just trying to flog the modem to my friend. hehe.

Your friends must be very neglected with all those threads to maintain!

As I may have mentioned in one of your other zillion threads the UTV modem is virtually worthless except for a one pc connection. which probably satisfies most of their customers anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement