Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best place to sell a car?

• 14-01-2005 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to sell my 96 Nissan Micra and get a new car.

Is it best to go to a dealer or put an add in the paper/buyandsell?

I'd imagine I would get a better price from the buyandsell, but if I sell to a dealer, if anything happens to go wrong with it, I avoid them coming back to me complaining.

Anyone with experience in this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Its always better to sell it privately - but you must have your research done so as to price it right and allow a bit extra so as to be able to haggle. I think the buy and sell is the best place as its free. Word your add carefully giving as much relavent detail as possible. Buyers love to see currently taxed cars with valid NCT certs.
    Its worth putting in "no canvassers" in the add otherwise you will be plauged by the other car sale magazines ringing you up looking for you to put an add in their rag :mad:
    It takes time to sell privately and you just have to wait for that buyer to come along. :)
    I have sold several of my cars privately and always came out better than if I traded it in - nobody ever came back complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

It takes time to sell privately and you just have to wait for that buyer to come along. :)

u mean victim dont u?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Put an add in the buy and sell, there is no loss if it does not result in a sale.

Put it in the for sale>motors forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=495

If you get no joy you can always go to a stealer later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I have an uneasy feeling about buying and selling cars privately - I know dealers are more expensive, but I like the idea of peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I know dealers are more expensive, but I like the idea of peace of mind.
    What peace of mind? Once a dealer gets you to part with that cash and roll off the forecourt then he's finished with you. I have known several people buy cars from main dealers which turned out to have problems and the main dealers have been absolutely useless! You pretty much have to resort to waiting there and getting loud in front of other (potential) customers so that they'll help you just to get rid of you...

• Advertisement
Advertisement