Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barbed Wire Cage Match!?!?!? *Spoiler*

• 14-01-2005 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Word through the rumormill at the moment is that at No Way Out JBL vs Big Show is going to be a Barbed Wire Cage match!...

First off...who ever thought WWE would have a barbed wire match
    and Second who would of thought if they did have this match it would be these two wrestlers in it

WWE...Expect the Unexpected

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

I'll eat my boxer shorts unsalted if this ever happens. The words 'WWE' and 'barbed wire' will never go together, not in my lifetime anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

I read that No Way Out is been held in a state where Barbed-Wire matches are banned by the states sport commission. So it will be a bait and switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

i need to hear your sorces on this because it just seems too unlikly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

a-hole wrote:
    i need to hear your sorces on this because it just seems too unlikly

I's all over the main wrestling news sites - Torch , PWI , Lords of Pain.

In recent memory, about the closest WWE have come to hardcore was Mick Foley getting the tacks out against HHH in Wrestlemania 17 (I think?!?!). After that, its been getting more watered down than a cocktail in TGI Fridays. Barbed wire me japser, thats a hoax. Can you honestly imagine the big show falling onto barbed wire - that clumsy kunt would get all caught up in it and they'd have to cancel the match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Ooooh barbed wire.... so scary isn't it! Is anyone honestly going to buy the PPV just because that cnut Bradshaw and Big Slob may hurt themselves on a little bit of fake spiky wire.

Is anyone honestly going to buy the PPV just because that cnut Bradshaw and Big Slob may hurt themselves on a little bit of fake spiky wire.

No, but I'd pay to see 'em both skewered on something sharp.

I'd say it could happen, but just because WWE puts barbed wire around the ring doesn’t mean someone gonna end up in it too much
    There wasn’t exactly trips to the burns unit of the local hospital after the very first Inferno match in '98 , was there?
    Huge build up for that and all that happened was Kane singed the sleeve of those red pyjama's he used to wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Evilution wrote:
    In recent memory, about the closest WWE have come to hardcore was Mick Foley getting the tacks out against HHH in Wrestlemania 17 (I think?!?!). After that, its been getting more watered down than a cocktail in TGI Fridays. Barbed wire me japser, thats a hoax. Can you honestly imagine the big show falling onto barbed wire - that clumsy kunt would get all caught up in it and they'd have to cancel the match.
    It was Foley Vs. HHH at the royalrumble 2000 your thinking of. Mick brought out a board covered in barbed wire in his match @ Backlash against Ortan last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd say the match will take place.They are already advertising it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

I doubt it if the wwe would ever do a "barbed wire match" and especially with the big show and JBl. Just a rumour .
    But if this match was to happen I wouldnt mind watching it.

Phe

I'd say the match will take place.They are already advertising it.
    Where is it advertised?

It was Foley Vs. HHH at the royalrumble 2000 your thinking of.

Thats the one, cheers bud.
    Mick brought out a board covered in barbed wire in his match @ Backlash against Ortan last year.

Yeah, but he only did the HHH 'bump it off their face' thing during that match.

I really really can't see this barbed wire match happening. If it does though, its kinda showing a certain sense of desperation by Vince McMahon, in that he has to do this kind of match to get some ratings.
    Sad sad sad.

Where is it advertised?

Go to:

http://nodq.com/news/107641951.shtml

O.K if Br**shaw and the Big Slob are going to fight it at No Way Out for the title that will mean that one of them will be main event at Mania21, Joke!

O.K if Br**shaw and the Big Slob are going to fight it at No Way Out for the title that will mean that one of them will be main event at Mania21, Joke!

For sure, JBL is pencilled in to go all the way to 'mania and face Cena, as far as i remember reading on Torch or PWI. Not gospil but usually fairly reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

D-FENS wrote:
    For sure, JBL is pencilled in to go all the way to 'mania and face Cena, as far as i remember reading on Torch or PWI. Not gospil but usually fairly reliable.

sounds good to me, no point in having big show win as a face and then turn heel to face cena ( or cena turning heel to face show).

And at this stage I'd have said that JBL has faced every other big name on smackdown for the title. Some would argue he hasn't faced RVD, but RVD ain't a big name.

Cactus Col wrote:
    And at this stage I'd have said that JBL has faced every other big name on smackdown for the title. Some would argue he hasn't faced RVD, but RVD ain't a big name.

That's your opinion.I think RVD is just as big a name as anybody,certainly more so than JBL.Too bad Van Dam will be out for months due to his recent surgery but maybe when he's gone the fans will appreciate what he brought to the WWE?

I have heard a rumour that some in the WWE want JBL to face The Rock for the title at WM21.Apparently the plan would be for The Rock to put him over.I've heard The Rock is being pitched with lots of ideas due to the him being one of the biggest stars so he is going to be allowed choose an angle that he finds interesting.
    I've also heard unsettling rumours that JBL is to hold the title all the way to Summerslam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

I think JBL is a great champion

Why?Are you a fan of mediocre wrestlers?

• Advertisement

One of the most succesful wrestlers of all time: The Rock was mediocre but regardless if they can carry out the character well they can still be good and JBL is great at playing his character

I have heard a rumour that some in the WWE want JBL to face The Rock for the title at WM21.Apparently the plan would be for The Rock to put him over.I've heard The Rock is being pitched with lots of ideas due to the him being one of the biggest stars so he is going to be allowed choose an angle that he finds interesting.
    I've also heard unsettling rumours that JBL is to hold the title all the way to Summerslam...

First off The Rock is nothing but a part time wrestler these days and doesn't deserve a main event title shot let alone at Mania 21 plus if this did happen, it won't sell to the fans very well a part time wrestler been in a higher regard than other guys such as Angle, Taker, Booker etc. Secondly if Br**shaw holds that title all the way to Summerslam, it will mean fans will say bye bye and Vinnie will still think the WWE is in great shape.
    I think JBL is a great champion

Boards.ie does not condone the use of illegal substances while on the Pro Wrestling boards so my advice to you is to stop taking the disco biscuits while online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

ROFL :).

Question: When is the last time you watched smackdown???? For me its a few months now, I never miss raw, and i'm even staying up for it on Monday nights but smackdown wouldnt draw me at all especially with JBL, Big Show and the worst of the worst John Cena who is the worst wrestler in the business, he's even worse than Ortan. I wont be buying Royal Rumble for this fact cuz I know who's going to win the title matches and the royal rumble.

I hope nobody believes that Big Show and JBL would actually do some crazy stuff on the wire, It'll probably be plastic wire anyways. They aint no Mick Foley lads. WWE doesn't do crazy **** anymores anyways. This will be a flop.

Hulk Hogan was a sucky wrestler, Austin wasn't anything special but he was pretty good at telling a story in the ring, The Rock oversold everything hoppin all over the place like he was destined for acting....alot is down to the character and JBL has a great character, I haven't watched Smackdown in a long time either but its more because the show sucks

Hulk Hogan was a sucky wrestler, Austin wasn't anything special but he was pretty good at telling a story in the ring, The Rock oversold everything hoppin all over the place like he was destined for acting....alot is down to the character and JBL has a great character, I haven't watched Smackdown in a long time either but its more because the show sucks

The Rock has charisma.JBL does not.The guy does not have a great character.What is it?
    I'll admit he is good on the mic but the fans do not respond too him as was seen on the recent Smackdown episode.

I am of the opinion that some writers in the WWE got fed up with heels as champions who were getting alot of pops from the crowd such as Lesnar and have decided to give the titles to guys that the fans do not respect hence Triple H and JBL as the champions.
    Clearly the WWE felt faces as champions were not working after Eddie and Benoit lost their belts and don't forget Orton had his title for only a month.
    The WWE think heels who the fans hate for personal reasons will draw money but ultimately I feel it will make fans turn off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

D-FENS wrote:
    I'd say it could happen, but just because WWE puts barbed wire around the ring doesn’t mean someone gonna end up in it too much
    There wasn’t exactly trips to the burns unit of the local hospital after the very first Inferno match in '98 , was there?
    Huge build up for that and all that happened was Kane singed the sleeve of those red pyjama's he used to wear.

barb wire matches are exactly that as well. all build up and then pure shi*e!! the ones in ecw sucked, the minute a guy gets thrown into em they fall apart and fall down. stupid gimmick matches. only place barbwire has in wrestling is in mick foleys hands!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Richard X

Personally, i think a barbed wire cage match between JBL and Big Show would be a lot better than a regular match between these 2 mediocre workers. Clearly WWE are doing everything in their power to make JBL look good and avoid exposing his inabilities in the ring by booking him in gimick matches: Texas Bull rope match; steel-cage match; last ride match; fatal 4-way match; no DQ matches. Any traditional match i've ever seen JBL work has been useless.
    Fair enough, he plays his character well and his gimmick is funny occasionally, but does that really justify making him WWE champion in the first place when he is clearly a crap in-ring performer and there are other workers with equally good gimmicks who play their characters well and can actually wrestle (angle, guerrero, etc). I'd far prefer to have a champion that produces great matches regardless of whether he plays his character well.
    That's why i think the barbed wire cage match is a good idea: coz JBL is incapable of producing anything worth watching in a traditional match without being carried and i can't imagine Big Show being able to carry JBL to a good match: maybe angle could but not Big Show. I hope JBL does something crazy and hardcore in this match because that's about all he seems capable of doing.
    Hopefully, this JBL being champion madness will end sooner rather than later coz i'm definately not looking forward to watching JBL in the main event until summerslam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Totally agree with you about Hogan and Rock, but Austin wasnt anything special - OMFG, do people forget what he was like before his neckinjury - he was a great wrestler aswell as one of the better promo guys. The problem is that most wrestlers nowadays are being told how to wrestle, etc - in other words everything is dictated - long gone are the days where two guys were sent out, knowing the finish and allowed to go nuts. This is in part due to injuries on the increase aswell as McMahon thinking that fans want something else besides great wrestling - which he hasnt delivered :)

As for a barb wire match, yeah it might happen, but I doubt it. NWO is set to be broadcast from a state in the USA where barb wire is banned from wrestling events.

Plus barb wire has been done in WWE already Cactus Jack vs HHH (RR 2000) and that worked well for 2 reasons - one was that Foley took legitamate barb wire shots, and HHH took rubber wire shots to the face and bled like a stuck pig.

The problem is barb wire, a good match it does not make. Big Show Vs JBL - is going to be painful to watch, so barb wire would be pointless to have.

If anything JBL has had his moment as the Million Dollar Man (oops did I type that or think it) and the MDM he aint - atleast DiBiase could wrestle and p*ss people off legitimately. JBL is just another "hoss" and tbh, I have never liked him no matter what guise he was in, with the small exception of the APA, but that was tag team action, so he wasnt as exposed as he is now.

The Big Show - the guy is like a yo yo, one minute down the next he is up - and when he is on his game, he is very good, but he needs a decent opponent to work with, and JBL is not that guy.

Smackdown is the poor man's Raw and in saying that Raw, has just plain sucked over the past while - thats why I watch Velocity - London vs Akio, their mini feud has just been plain fantastic - they are getting over on pure wrestling talent (note to McMahon, that word I used - "talent")

If any barb wire matches are too happen, look for them later on this year, but I wouldnt bet on them using JBL in it, maybe former ECW wrestlers, but not a WWE good ol' boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Richard X

Velocity - London vs Akio, their mini feud has just been plain fantastic - they are getting over on pure wrestling talent

I completely agree with you on that. I can't understand why London is not on Smackdown. Surely, WWE would at least use him in the cruiserweight division on smackdown. The match he had with Kidman was pure quality and completely stole the show on that particular PPV. I would much rather watch London wrestle every week on Smackdown than the likes of JBL (i'm not suggesting that London is worthy of being WWE champ; but then again, neither is JBL).
    I also never thought JBL was good in any role, and even when he was doing tag-team wrestling with Simmons (Farooq), i still thought he was useless. What exactly did JBL ever do to deserve to be champion other than suck up to Vince and publically defend him and the company at every possible opportunity: just shows how big a role politics plays.
    I agree that the barbed wire match will be painful because of whose involved, but i think it will be slightly less painful than a traditional match if they do a good job hiding the inabilities of JBL (and Big Show as well). It will also increase the buy-rate of the pay-per-view.
    WWE have apparently advertised the match for NWO locally, despite the fact that barb wire matches are banned in the state of Pensilvania. I can't see how they can possibly stage this match given these circumstances: it wouldn't be the first time WWE has advertised something that didn't actually happen.

• Advertisement

Vellocity can be great as long as Shannon Moore isnt jobing to SD's latest 300lb. mussel head. Londan is out of this world and Akio take's some pritty hardcore knocks on a regular basis aswell as being technically sound in the ring. Raw is far more entertaining the SD! theese days but Raw's 5 minute match's and add breaks every 10 mins (if you watch it live) can be frustrating at times. When SD gets it right (right wrestler in right match) its worth any number of good raws but its only about one in ten SDs that gets it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

2 things: 1) Vince doesn't watch velocity... How can London or Akio get over if the boss doesn't see them wrestle (hence why they where they are)
    2) Raw has breaks every 10 mins cause that's the way it's shown on American T.V. Unfortunitely you'll have to live with it if you watch it live...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Well it confirmed NO WAY OUT barbed wire match.
    YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Well, this pay-per-view looks good all ready, i dont think the WWE can mess this one up, like new years resolution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I agree, hope he keeps title for a full year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

Its official, barbed wire cage match is official, theodore long said it on raw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

is NWO gonna be an actual PPV or is it on Sky Sports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

It's on sky sports as far as i know. I just called it a pay-per-view because i was watching the royal rumble and thats what they call it in america. Sorry about that!

turns out it is to be on SS1

Well its on tonight. The fact that its free is possibly the only good thing about it and the 6 man elimination C.W. match

Well its on tonight. The fact that its free is possibly the only good thing about it and the 6 man elimination C.W. match

I've heard that the barbed wire will only be on the top of the cage which will be disapointing.The match isn't expected to be too long which is a good thing since every wrestling fan knows who is going to win the match...

It certinly look like that from the promo videos they have been runing on SD for the past few weeks. It also shows razor wire along the top of the cage not barbed which makes even less likly to come into play in the match.

• Advertisement

OMG

how much worse can Smackdown! get. the PPV was ****, start to finish

Were you watching the same PPV? The opening tag match was awsome. The cruiser wieght match was brillient pitty london didnt win, the way there are pushing him I wouldnt be surprised to see chavo put him over at WM21. Cena Angle was brillient. Angle was on fire and Cena seemed up for it too. The main event was pritty good. Good original ending and big Dave's and Cena's run ins set the scene for tonights Raw

the cruiser weights were good granted but i was not impressed at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mossy Monk wrote:
    OMG

how much worse can Smackdown! get. the PPV was ****, start to finish

Want to give us some insight?

Were you watching the same PPV? The opening tag match was awsome. The cruiser wieght match was brillient pitty london didnt win, the way there are pushing him I wouldnt be surprised to see chavo put him over at WM21. Cena Angle was brillient. Angle was on fire and Cena seemed up for it too. The main event was pritty good. Good original ending and big Dave's and Cena's run ins set the scene for tonights Raw

Have to agree with you pretty much all the way.

Tag match was very good. Had its usual Eddie comedy spot, and to remember that is to overlook some awesome moveset from both Rey and Eddie. Thought the Bashams sold very well. Great start to the ppv. 7/10

Heidenreich Vs Booker was alright. Had a good last few minutes, but nothing memorable. Heidenreich just doesnt really bring anything. Good performance by Booker, who I hope gets a title run at some point this year. he deserves it. 5/10

Cruiserweights again was very good. London is a top class performer, though Im not mad about his gimmick. His swinging neck breaker off the top was the top spot of the night. I hope its London Vs Chavo at Mania and they get a good 15-20 minute match. Could be a show stealer. Good to see Shannon Moore, and Akio get a nice run in this match as well. 8/10

Taker Vs Reigns. It was never going to be much, though i felt Taker put Luther over quite well despite beating him. Hope this feud is over though. 6/10

Angle Vs Cena. I dont know who booked this match, but the ending was very sloppy. That said, it was the top match of the ppv, as again it showed just how amazing Angle is. His skills are top notch, his intensity is scary. Again, I thought he put Cena over very well, and served to gather pace on his relentless Push. I just hope that other opponents can carry him as well (though we know they wont!). Great match, with some great spots. It was definitley one of Cenas better performances, and I hope he can improve steadily. 9/10

JBL Vs Show. What an ending. Even these 2 arent renowned (sp???) for their technical abilities, they put on a great specatacle. The ending was bizarre, and came out of leftfield completely. The run in by Batista, and Cenas subsequent actions (his ankle had a miraculous recovery) made a good angle for tonights Raw. 6.5/10.

The Diva segments were rubbish.

Overall ppv 7/10. Better than the last few Raw only ppvs anyways.

Oh Man bring on Mania!

I agree with Mossy Monk.I thought it was crap.If I'd paid for that like the Yanks,I'd ask for my money back.

Tag match was good but Rey seemed to go through the motions.His best moment was running away from the Bashams.I wanted to see an Eddie heel turn as well. 8/10

Heidenrech vs Booker T was ****e.I feel sorry for Booker.He tried his best but Heydenreich is just crap. 3/10

Cruiserweight match was nothing special.London has great potential but he's not the finished article yet.Too predictable for my liking. 6/10

Taker v Reigns was decent but Reigns didn't step up tonight.He resorted to punches which was disappointing. 6/10

Angle v Cena was definitely the match of the night but the match was based entirely on Angle's offence.The fact is Angle outclassed Cena and he probably should've done more to put Cean over.Also,where was the interference from HBK?the match was crying out for Angle to get hit with Sweet Chin Music.Because this didn't happen,it was a disappointment. 7/10

JBL vs Big Show was crap as well.We all knew that JBL would win and the barbed wire didn't even come into play.The ending of the match was stupid also.Very disappointing. 6/10

Overall,I thought the PPV was a big disappointment.I can't believe some people on this thread found that piece of garbage satisfying.Smackdown is a joke right now and this PPV can be added to the long list of Smackdown PPVs which were diabolical.

I rate this PPV as 5/10.Average at best.

Advertisement