Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Query (no, not a rant...well, not yet!)

Options
  • 14-01-2005 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Going to the VRO next week to reg' the Impreza. We haven't had it more than 6 months before coming over, so I'm not even going to try to get scam that or rant that I have to pay VRT - I wanna be legit, end of story. [But spare a thought for the Mrs who's going to the VRO for the Mazda today, and that one we've had over 4 years, so I'll be f**ed sideways if I'm gonna be paying VRT on that!] But I digress...

My query, therefore (and I know this is going to sound pedant, but there ya go ;) ):
    _the cut-off point between 25% and 30% VRT tax rates is 2 litres,
    _the car is badged "2.0",
    BUT
    _the engine size is actually 1994 cc, e.g. 1,994 litre,
    _and so does the V5 state.

In your opinions, any chance of arguing the case with the esteemed VRO personnel, to have the 25% apply? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

no ul b ok, it goes on the actual cc. also if uv come from outside ireland u dont pay any vrt as there are exemptions. as long as the car hasnt been here more than a year. oh u need to have owned it over there for 6months+ or more fully taxed and insured.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cars over 1900cc (i.e. yours ambro!) must pay 30% of the OMSP subject to a minimum tax of €315. You have Charlie McCreevey to thank for the drop from 2.0L to 1.9L (who ironically is now the Commissioner in charge of the Internal Market and Services).
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

(sorry to be the bearer of bad news!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

kbannon wrote:
    cars over 1900cc (i.e. yours ambro!) must pay 30% of the OMSP subject to a minimum tax of €315.

Aaah, well... Bo****ks! :mad: . 30% it is, then.

BTW lomb - has posted that no, I haven't had car more than 6 months before coming over. So have 2 pay :( ... fortunately not that much, though :)

Advertisement