Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Firewall Reccomendations?

• 14-01-2005 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭

First off, if this is the wrong forum for this I'm sorry, I've read the charters on here, security, Nets/Comms etc. and this seems to be the most apropriate place for this question to me. If not, I apologise and await my kicking to the kerb...

I recently put together a machine for my elderly aunt. She knows the absolute basics of how to use a computer (playing games, writing word documents etc.) so I need something extremely user-friendly (preferably something that will run and work undetected to the user).

I've been looking at some of the freeware firewalls, Outpost Firewall PRO, ZoneAlarm and Prevx Home 2.0 etc and I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience of these and could recommend which one(s) to download and install?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Sleepy wrote:
    I recently put together a machine for my elderly aunt. She knows the absolute basics of how to use a computer (playing games, writing word documents etc.) so I need something extremely user-friendly (preferably something that will run and work undetected to the user).

Did you install Windows XP? Then the security feature of the latest service pack is very user friendly. The firewall does it job and there also a tool that will tell you if your anti virus def. is out of date (it works with most of the anti-virus).

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I used ZoneAlarm for my parents place, its very user-friendly and is a good firewall to boot, maintains itself too so save's you relying on your Aunty to keep it upto date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ive used zone alarm, symantecs f/w, and the windows ICF
    Zone Alarm is probably the best for features and user friendliness
    If ya want a basic one the windows ICF is ok, it only blocks incoming connections though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sorry, should have specified. The machine is running Win 2k SP4 and I have Norten AV on it at present (just downloaded the latest AVG build to tighten it up).

So Zone Alarm is the way to go then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You're not running 2 AV scanners at the same time are you? (Norton and AVG).. that can cause more problems then it solves. Pick one and stick to it imo.

As for the firewall, I've had no trouble with Sygate personal firewall (free edition) myself. It's pretty straight forward to use, especially for program control etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

I'd recommend Kerio Presonal firewall, No matter what firewall you choose, it might be worth you sitting at her PC for a few hours and "teaching" the firewall (i.e creating rules to permit/deny apps from accessing the web)
    I know that last time I setup a firewall for someone I got a call every time one of the pop-ups asked to permit an app access out (i.e MSN messenger/NAV updater etc) VERY ANNOYING! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

ciaranfo wrote:

As for the firewall, I've had no trouble with Sygate personal firewall (free edition) myself. It's pretty straight forward to use, especially for program control etc.

yeah i used that for a good while, but now i use Sygate personal firewall 5.5 ... it's really good. always uptodate and i find it a doddle to use . does take a while to teach it what to allow and stuff, but well worth it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

ciaranfo wrote:
    You're not running 2 AV scanners at the same time are you? (Norton and AVG).. that can cause more problems then it solves. Pick one and stick to it imo.

God no, just trust AVG more than Norton, I'll be removing Norton when I'm out there next.

It shouldn't take long to "teach" the firewall, the only things accessing the net will be IE, Outlook Express, AVG and Adaware.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Advertisement