Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7.5k on VC last night

Options
  • 14-01-2005 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Dropsy asked me to write about this hand, this is from the 7.5k Gtd on VC. I have about 90k and am on the small blind with AKo. There are three limpers and I make it 10k to go, which is a big overbet (blinds are 800 1600) because I really dont want to play this hand out of position. The second limper calls, (which is surprising) and every one else folds. Flop is 10 10 J. I check and the limper bets 10k. I checkraise to 35, and he thinks and thinks and finally calls. Now at this stage I have no idea what cards he has, other than its not a 10. Probably 99 or something. Turn is an 8 and I bet 50k which is putting me almost all in. Again he thinks for an age before finally raising my last couple of k. I call and he turns over KK. River is of course an A.

Im pretty sure that I could of pushed him off a medium pp on the turn, very difficult to put all your chips in when I could have AJ, but if he was the 1st limper, I would of never tried to push him off the hand because AA & KK are definite possibilites. What confused me was the over limp.

I was chip leader then by a good margin. A couple of hands later I limped on the button with A2s, after no other limpers. Flop is 345r. The blinds check to me I and I make a small underbet, "hey guys Im stealing your blinds, and cheaply!". The small blind makes it 40k and I immediately put him all in for his last 35k or so. He thinks for a good while then calls with 77. No 6 falls and I am chip leader with about three times more chips than anyone else. I coasted it from then on, putting on a vintage big stack performance, and got down to 3 with 550k to two stacks of about 150k. One thing that I really concentrated on was not allowing any medium stack to become threatening. One guy got up to 200k when I had about 400k, and I raised his BB every time it was folded to me. Any time he limped I limped after him, or raised (position is such a wonderful thing).

When it got down to three of us I played this hand, Im not sure if I played it perfectly, so any comments are welcome. I have 107s on the BB, the button folds and the small blind makes it 30k. (Blinds are 5 10k). He has about 100k left. Flop is 10 7 5 rainbow. He bets 40k, what do you do here? My thinking was, he has now pot commited himself, a flat call is suspicous (Id been raising a lot); and its a lot easier to go all in on the flop with AK than it is on the turn. Also a J or 6 might worry him. So I put him all in. He folded pretty quickly.

I knocked that guy out a few minutes later, he went all in on small blind with 10 10, I called with KQ. Then it was down to 2 of us, he had around 50k and I had over 700k. A few hands later and Id won my first mtt of 2005!

This was even sweeter than normal, as I had gotten in this situation a few weeks ago and blown it, which isnt like me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dropsy

Hi HJ,

The big slick hand was the tourney winner - not only did it double you up but it also meant that noone at that table had any respect for your bets and raises after that which probably contributed to the A2s hand later when you have bottom straight.

Very impressive perfomance though once you got the piece of luck with the A on the river 0 a lesson in big stack play.....well done.

Dropsy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

fantastic win, well done. AK hand sounds obscene but you need some luck.

how much it cost you in total. from memory, is this the $27 rebuy tournie?

what was the final 1st prize out of the 7,500?

gettin back online next week! *drool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Well done,

Hectorjelly, serious question ..... You seem to be making a fortune from the Poker ... do you still need to work ?

How much are you up this year so far ? ( If that is too nosy, I apologise) ..... I'm curious.

I was 2nd in one of the reasonably small $6 multi tourney last night as well (75 players or so).

I really enjoyed the post by Iago last week, about not winning as much now as he did when he was a novice, and hit the 'wall'.

I found that in December, but did some reading and some of the tips are really paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

dropsy wrote:
    Hi HJ,

The big slick hand was the tourney winner - not only did it double you up but it also meant that noone at that table had any respect for your bets and raises after that which probably contributed to the A2s hand later when you have bottom straight.

No question about it, I got very lucky that hand. I did put on a victory performance in my flat that was worthy of an oscar after that hand though, so in some ways I deserved it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Great Result HJ WP again, must blow the cobwebs off the old laptop and get started again, after all someone has to contribute towards your prize fund ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Congratulations! Victory (in anything) is the sweetest thing, don't know what the crap U2 were singing about!

I am currently without internet access (moved apartment) but once my DSL is moved across, I can't wait to get back into the online world again.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well played HJ! That seems to be the 7.5K Guarunteeed-to-be-paying-Hector these days!

DeV.

Culchie wrote:
    Well done,

Hectorjelly, serious question ..... You seem to be making a fortune from the Poker ... do you still need to work ?

How much are you up this year so far ? ( If that is too nosy, I apologise) ..... I'm curious.

I was 2nd in one of the reasonably small $6 multi tourney last night as well (75 players or so).

I really enjoyed the post by Iago last week, about not winning as much now as he did when he was a novice, and hit the 'wall'.

I found that in December, but did some reading and some of the tips are really paying off.

Funny you should ask that, today is my last day in work. Im taking a year off from work to become a gentleman of leisure, travel and read and that sort of thing.

This month has been fantastic, Ive been doing very well in cash games, I used to think JP was a bit mad (well I still do), but Im an omaha junkie now as well. Im too shy to give out exact figs, but I won 3.3k last night in the tournament last night, and thats less than 50% of my winnings this year. There is a new 5 10 nl game on VC which can be fairly soft (by usual 5 10 standards) which has been a help. If your interested you can read about poker on my journal, link below.

I actually meant to reply to Iagos post but never did. I hit a similar wall, I was very very succesfull when I started (almost 100% luck), but then played for a long time without improving. I used to play the 20 in in the merrion each week for about a year without much success (I was fairly crap, alternating between loose passive and tight passive) but it wasnt until I played online that I began to improve. I remember playing a $25 stt and suddenly a lot of things hit me at once. I ordered a couple of books and have never had a losing month since. (Allthough Ive come close).

Congrats on the Tourney, what site do you play on?

karlh wrote:
    fantastic win, well done. AK hand sounds obscene but you need some luck.

how much it cost you in total. from memory, is this the $27 rebuy tournie?

what was the final 1st prize out of the 7,500?

gettin back online next week! *drool

3300 for 1st, I rebought a couple of times, I think I spent about 100$ in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

3300 for 1st, I rebought a couple of times, I think I spent about 100$ in total.
    How many times have you won that? You play it every night pretty much? Nice work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Thats great play Hector. Something tells me you might not go back to work next year !! I will hopefully be making my first foray into online poker in the next week or two so go easy on my BB for the first couple of games :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

well done HJ - nice going!

best of luck for the year!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yes indeed nice one. Time to start giving lessons. So what were the books that helped you turn it round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭CoD

yeh the wall i think I hit it, I've always been making profit after the first few months and worked my way up thru the ranks, then in december i made about $6k, from the VC 3/6 then 5/10
    but already lost $2k this month, just in december i had hardly any bad luck, my trips won etc. now i'm running into straights and 2 pair into trips, so I'm taking a few days off to sort my head out then prob go back into 2/4, 3/6 NL again and hopefully get the balance up for the 5/10 again

but i have definatly hit "the wall"

well done HJ btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I used to think JP was a bit mad (well I still do)

A sentiment shared by many HJ ;)

but I won 3.3k last night in the tournament last night, and thats less than 50% of my winnings this year.

Not bad considering said year is 14 friking days old!

Well done again (not on the tournie wins, but on becoming an Omaha junkie :D )

Advertisement