Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiritus Vs DeVore. Round 1.

Options
  • 14-01-2005 12:39pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, battle was joined last night between Ken "Spiritus" Cheah and Tom "DeVore" Murphy (yours truly!) in the first of our series of heads up conflicts (a spin off from the Q3s thread).

We've decided that a single nights heads up wont prove anything so we're going to play a series. First to 7.

Last night we met up in the Fitz before the freeroll with Amp as dealer (thanks) and decided to play two rounds a night.

The first round started off with a non-descript hand that I won about 100 on, the second hand gave me two pair on the turn that I stupidly checked and then went ballistic on on the river. By which stage Ken had made his inside straight drawer and that was 1:Nil to Ken.

This wasnt going as planned.

I changed gears and over the course of the next 40 mins (yep, it took that long!) tried to grind him out of hands when I had something and conserve chips when I didnt. Several times I had him down to half his chips but then he'd bounce back to 3K and we'd be even again. I flopped several nuts but couldnt hook him into the hand.

Eventually I got him to below 1K and pressed each hand until the 100:200 blinds were too much and it ended on an interleaved-cards-race which I won.

Much trash was talked accross the table of course.

I spent much of the second game kicking myself for my haste in the first game (and rueing that fact that I hadnt realised I'd more chips though I doubt I could have come back from 200 chips :( ).
    Given that I *hate* headsup with a passion I found myself curiously enjoying the game!

So its 1-all now and we take a break until either Sunday or next week! Thats my polite report on the match up last night. Until next time Spiritus.... grrrr!

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Come on Spiritus. You can't let some guy who plays Q3 win. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

nice one lads....what have i started!? :)

we should have a heads up tournie when you've layed down the handbags! would be great fun. anyone else interested?

yeah why not. Begs first out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Def. sounds good crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I was thinking the same thing Karl. I'd say alot of us could do with Heads up experience. I'm definitely interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

anyone due into the fitz? i might head in for sundays freeroll and could have a word if we can get a crowd and agree on a day.

hoe does it usually work with tables/dealers etc for heads up? would be a pain in the arse to deal no!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

I'm up fpr a heads up tournie.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ken and I were talking about this (considering we both moonlight in there). A few things occured to us.

1. There'd be loads of interest in a heads up tournie as we all know. If noone else does, then I'll make this happen when I get a spare minute (next couple of weeks are mad).

2. Ken and I have been talking trash and poker for ages with each other. We both have radically different styles and have been itching to play each other for a while but despite how many tournies we are in together we never seem to end up on the same table. So there is a score to be settled here! So I got to thinking about other heads up battles I'd like to see (you know, playing them over in my head while I wait for Ken to fold yet again to another min raise). Kinda like B Celebrity Deathmatch (the B is for Boards :) ).
    I'd quite like to see Hyzepher versus Hectorjelly, or Marq versus Amp or even a battle of the Lukes (Brady and Ivory)!

The thing is, and this is the next point, you really need to see the cards or its just a couple of guys pushing chips back and forth. You cant admire the moves if you dont see the cards. Beyond havind two "seconds" who record the cards for later, I cant see how you do this (except for having an online headsup battle, which is kinda ghey).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You cant admire the moves if you dont see the cards. Beyond havind two "seconds" who record the cards for later, I cant see how you do this (except for having an online headsup battle, which is kinda ghey).

The setup in the new floor at the fitz looks ripe for an overhead camera to be rigged up - that would take care of the board cards. A couple of cheap webcams for the hole cards and you are set for the Boards Heads Up DVD boxset...

Or...not.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

MadsL wrote:
    The setup in the new floor at the fitz looks ripe for an overhead camera to be rigged up - that would take care of the board cards. A couple of cheap webcams for the hole cards and you are set for the Boards Heads Up DVD boxset...

Or...not.

You know, thats quite possible (the webcams I mean). It surely wouldnt take much... two laptops and two webcams?
    Would be worth the effort for a tournie...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Confident all-in push

DeVore wrote:
    You know, thats quite possible (the webcams I mean). It surely wouldnt take much... two laptops and two webcams?
    Would be worth the effort for a tournie...

DeV.
    That really would be quality. I'd probably even spend nearly as much time there as DeV watching it. Nearly.

MadsL wrote:

Or...not.

The only "ever so slight" issue here is giving away your heads up game completely to most of the people you regularly play with.

Seen as I generally don't know what I'm doing anyway I'm confident this will be of more benefit than cost for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

Come on Spiritus. You can't let some guy who plays Q3 win. :D

I won the first match with Q4.

I kept getting Q3 and kept calling with it but didnt hit it at all... piece of sh*t hand :)
    I won one with Q4 (which was remarkably good all night!) as well but its not the same. :(

You were lucky you hit your middler second hand of the first round cos I was all over you like a *rash* in the second. Jammy git! :p

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Spiritus

A fair enough result for the first round I think.

After a bit of haggling over blinds,stack size and what have you we got down to it. I was a bit nervous as I wasn't sure how my normal style would fare in a format when I might have to play a hand which I would normally be mucking in a normal game.

In Game 1, the chips flew back and forth for the first 2 hands before coming home to roost in my stack when 2 pair was raised into a rivered straight.

I may have misread my cards again as I have a habit of just flashing them to myself for the briefest moment before betting. I was calling Dev down thru the hand planning on raising at the end with my A high. When Dev raised into me at the end, i looked down to find i'd stumbled into a straight, maybe all my practice earlier that afternoon at drawing to inside shots would pay off after all.

Game 2 was a bit more cautious as i retreated back tomy more customary tight play and eventually had to go in when i committed myself to a flop that inevitably missed :)

On the practice cards for the next session: Drawing to 3 cards flushes 7 high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Count me in for the headsup tournament,
    Devore wrote:
    a battle of the Lukes (Brady and Ivory)!
    At least give me a little bit of a challenge, Iago will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

was chatting to Marq about this yesterday and subsequently we have embarked on a headup match between ourselves.

Just want to put out an idea that came up. Since the BSOP is finished. How about we run a tourney in the same fashion but instead make it a heads up tourny. Get 32 individual's that are willing to pay 25 each and run it along the lines of the world cup finals..

Thoughts anyone?

lafortezza wrote:
    Count me in for the headsup tournament,
    At least give me a little bit of a challenge, Iago will do.

You Sir are a cad and a fraud, I accept your challenge and will meet you on the field at dawn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

biteme wrote:
    was chatting to Marq about this yesterday and subsequently we have embarked on a headup match between ourselves.

Just want to put out an idea that came up. Since the BSOP is finished. How about we run a tourney in the same fashion but instead make it a heads up tourny. Get 32 individual's that are willing to pay 25 each and run it along the lines of the world cup finals..

Thoughts anyone?

Make it 50 and you got a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Make it 50 and you got a deal

it was just a suggested figure
    50 is cool

i just think it'd be real easy to run in the format like the BSOP . telling people to have rounds done by a certain time

just throwing ideas around
    be cool if the interest was there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

sounds good, gutshot in london have the same thing count me in, not sure bout having it recorded Ill never be able to bluff again

yeah cos we all think you are a ROCK Oscar :p

Ken and I were talking about this over the headsup and thought that a single days heads up tournie would be fun but also targetted match ups (like me and Ken, Marq and Biteme etc) might be a laugh, especially if we can find some way to record certain hands of interest (perhaps, a team mate noting down cards and bets).

DeV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

biteme wrote:
    Get 32 individual's that are willing to pay 25 each and run it along the lines of the world cup finals..

Thoughts anyone?

Sounds good. Hows about this. Eight groups of 4; everyone plays each other once; top 2 from each group go through to a 16 man knockout; top 4 get paid with a 3rd place playoff? Would have to be at least €50 in though....

Ok, I'm looking into something along these lines. Stay tuned. I might need some help but once I have a concrete plan I might have something a bit fun planned :):)

If we play it should be a straight heads up tournie though. Best of 3 in the first round and a ladder/knockout structure. Whats the point of heads up if you arent letting everything ride on your big bluff :):)
    Anyway, that would be my opinion. We can all decide later.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Heads up ladder league? So everyone involved wouldn't have to turn up on the same night in the fitz. We could organise a few games on nights that thee might be 6 or 8 people free.

Screw that. One afternoon and night, a good few weeks hence. If you cant make it then you are obviously highly homosexual and not committed to your poker :)

I have a plan in motion now... might be fun if it comes off.

DeV.

Advertisement