Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband install issue - HELP!

Options
  • 14-01-2005 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have eircom broadband and all was fine until my sister took her pc back for college last week. I'm trying to get it to work on my oldish home build pc with win2k on it.

I followed the installation instructions as before and can't get it to work. It was originally hanging when I tried to install via the USB method. Just hung on 'setting up your pc etc.'
    I installed the modem drivers manually and all seems fine but when i try to access the 'default gateway' through a browser, i just get a blank.

No bad ticks in device manager.

I have tried the ethernet method too and same. All lights on modem indicate its working ok but i just cant get to that screen to enter user/pass etc. (http://192.168.2.254, or something like that, not at pc now obviously)

I set TCP/IP to automatically get an IP as instructed in manual.

I have tried resetting and modem and everything else i can think of. Is there some way to query it and find out what the 'default gateway' is set to just in case it is not the ip addy they give?

Any ideas, similar experiences, wild guesses? :(

Thanksa lot in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Can you ping the ip address provided?
    What comes up when you do an ipconfig?

Forget about the usb connection, stick with ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

thanks for the reply eh....Hefty Langer :)

I was using the usb before and it was perfect. I didnt try to ping or ipconfig. will do this evening. If i get no response at all is there something else I should consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

well if you get a response from the ping to the modem that means that you don't have a H/W issue with the connection. (your NIC/Cable/Modem)...
    Problem sounds like it is s/w realtedd - uninstall the drivers, Connect you PC to the modem, use the install CD to install the drivers and you should be good to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

it might be stating the obvious but to check if its an Internet Explorer prob try using a different browser (you'll get them on PC cover disks)

i have firefox too and same prob. i have uninstalled drivers and tried to install using wizard on disk and same prob.

i've no doubt its software alright, just haven't a clue what.

thanks for replies. ill try ping etc and post again when I can (hopefully from home!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

im probably way off, but is there a firewall operating in the background?

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

You're using the wrong address. You need to enter 192.168.1.254 (unless you did and just recalled the wrong one)

It is what it's.

karlh wrote:
    or something like that, not at pc now obviously

naw im using the right one, just couldnt remember exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

karlh wrote:
    I followed the installation instructions as before and can't get it to work. It was originally hanging when I tried to install via the USB method. Just hung on 'setting up your pc etc.'

Start the process all over again. Disconnect all the cables and uninstall all the drivers.

Make sure the right cable is going to the right place, be it ethernet or usb.

(Are you color blind? I'm serious, when i worked support i had lots of calls that speakers weren't working and the cstomer was color blond... makes it harder to get the green cable into the green jack)

When you have it all reinstalled, follow the instructions to set the tcp/ip to "Obtain an ip address from a DHCP server".

Realistically once you reboot you should recieve an ip address from the router.

In a dos prompt type ipconfig (as already mentioned) and you should have an ip address of 192.168.1.(something)... remember to tick all the boxes and cross all the T's that eircom instructions tell you to do.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

thanks mate, will try that. im not colourblind and there is only 1 usb port and 1 ethernet port on the modem so no room for confusion. have tried removing everything and starting again for hours. usually dont have problems with this sort of thing.

ill try ipconfig etc then a full format and resinstall may be in order. :(

Advertisement