Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how long have people been playing Hold'em?

Options
  • 14-01-2005 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭

So how long have people been playing?
    I've included options for online and in card rooms. Please select one of each. Poll should be public.

At what stagees in your development did you see the greatest improvement?

So how long have you been playing? 58 votes

Online: Never
    0%
    Online: < 6 months
    6%
    LafortezzacarecaFenianHitman Actual 4 votes
    Online: 6 months - 2 years
    17%
    DapperGentImposterionapaulBigDragonJuliusFranco[Deleted User]ElaineMcTrinejoeshowgeebag 10 votes
    Online: 2 - 5 years
    22%
    JadennesfkarlhgerireIagoDavey DevilHippospanbohsmanHectorjellyJuan PablomedZerdelrodge 13 votes
    Online: > 5 years
    6%
    mewsoTimFoilRodgeFrankygolucky 4 votes
    Card Room: Never
    0%
    Card Room: < 6 months
    3%
    Imposter[Deleted User] 2 votes
    Card Room: 6 months - 2 years
    10%
    HippoBigDragonJuliusFrancomedZerElaineMcdelrodge 6 votes
    Card Room: 2 - 5 years
    25%
    mewsokarlhDapperGentLafortezzabitemegerireIagoDavey DevilcarecaspanbohsmanHectorjellyJuan PabloFeniangeebag 15 votes
    Card Room: > 5 years
    6%
    accensi0nHitman ActualFrankygoluckypokypoky 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

I like a good chunk of boards heads, started playing now just over 1 year ago, and was lining my first decent win this month last year.

Ive seen absolutely no development in my game, I used to play from the heart and I won, now i play all serious and stuff, and manage to run into Devore on many, many occasions

The only slight benefit ive had to my game is playing online. The fact that you can play any stake game any time of the day suits my job down to the ground...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Card Room: > 5 years
    add home games into the poll.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It was this time 2 years ago that I started online. A few months later I visited the Merrion. I think I went from dreadful to ok as a player after reading the Theory of Poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

playing with friends for 5 yrs
    card rooms about 3
    online about 6mths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I'd say just over a year for both. I actually started out in the Fitz playing blackjack and gradually got into poker. It would be interesting to see how long it took people to find Omaha since they started playing holdem, I started playing cash games first and then tournies so was into it from the start but I know most of you started in tournies and graduted to cash games.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

11 months. Its seems like a lifetime ago.

DeV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

11 months too - a few more for online play. And it was a lifetime ago - in poker terms.

I am beginning to believe that to become a better player I need to find a better balance between the careless methods I had when I first started out and the more thought out process that I have moved into over time.

In fact I have started to regain some of the success I had months ago simply by loosing up a tad and playing more marginal hands - not too marginal but slightly out there like J9s or QT etc.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Here's some nostalgia. This post detailed my first visit to The Fitz in December 2003. Seems like it about 5 years ago not one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-130248.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Card Room: < 6 months
    accensi0n wrote:
    add home games into the poll.
    Polls only allow 10 options but treat a regular home game as a card room game. I know it may not be the same but it'll be near enough.

I'm on just about 6 months online now and like some of the above i'm wondering how I got the results I got at the start. Gradually seeing myself improving and it's also reflecting on the balance sheet.

I really want to go play in a card room but my local one here only has 4/8 and 10/20 limit, 7-card stud and twice a month a 150€ NL tourny. I'm tempted to give the 4/8 a try some evening but I'll probably wait until i've made some decent money online before that happens.

Advertisement