Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is a shame

• 14-01-2005 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Maradona

He looks awful, what a terrible way to end up...

:(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

He was unrecognisable yesterday as the striker whose handball goal knocked England out of the 1986 World Cup

****ing typical SUN, what a bunch of **** they are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

jank wrote:
    ****ing typical SUN, what a bunch of **** they are!

They are right though? no?

But they always go on about THAT goal dont they like its imprinted in their brains that they were cheated out of a world cup final and then also forgetting that in the same half possibly the greatest goal ever scored in football was by the same player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In fairness, he was hardly tackled all the way through that run, they stood off him like he was a hot potato.

The state of him though.

Stay away from drugs kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

jank wrote:
    But they always go on about THAT goal dont they like its imprinted in their brains that they were cheated out of a world cup final -

It is an they were. Sad as it is to see I have li ttle sympathy for him in his current state as it is self inflicted, looking at that picture Its hard to believe that he was healthy enought to play professional football less than ten years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

the sun wrote:
    The hand of God has not been kind to the 44-year-old Argentinian ace
    i see what they did there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The Muppet wrote:
    It is an they were. Sad as it is to see I have no sympathy for him in his current state as it is self inflicted, Kiijubg at that picture Its hard to believe that he was health enought to play professional football less than ten years ago.

I think his last proffesional game was in 1997 , people would say that he's a terrible role model....but he's a great example of what can happen (to possibly the greatest player of all time) to someone when their life goes down a path of drugs .

He didn't look nearly as bad a couple of months ago , when he started crying in that interview , I just hope he gets his life back on track . :(......not that its probably been in track for quite some time :(:(

If you look at the match overall argentina deserved to go through. England only woke up in the last 15 minutes or so when Barnes came on.

To me the greatest player EVER. Pele doesnt come close IMO, and deep down I think Pele knows it himself.

Sad to see him now but I heard he is getting over his drug habits. Also heard that his son is getting involved in some Italian Reality TV show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's been said many times before 'Brazil 1958 & 1970 probably could have won the WC without Pele but Argentina 86 certainly wouldn't have without Maradona'. Best ever IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Maradona won the world cup on his own alright.

As regards nobody tackling him, would ya go way outta that. He skinned Terry Butcher twice on that run alone, and nobody did that very often. Normally they were kicked up in the air.

If you watch the full ninety minutes of that match, Maradona was fantastic, the Hand of God goal was a bit stupid alright, but its one of the most memorable things thats ever happened in a World Cup. Im just glad it was against the English, only they could stay this pissed off about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Pele is still a great ambassador for football. The 1958 and 1970 teams were full of stars, so saying they could have won it without Pele, doesn't mean that he was not as good as Maradona. Unfortunately he has been a great talent lost, like George Best and a few others. As to England and World Cup goals, there is always the 'goal' the Geoff Hurst got in the 1966 Final that certainly wasn't completely over the line. So maybe that balances things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

seansouth wrote:
    In fairness, he was hardly tackled all the way through that run, they stood off him like he was a hot potato.

..i think it was more of a case of him making it look easy than the english midfield/defence(team!) making it easy for him.

Surely the most influential world cup performance ever.
    Pele was a genius in 1970 but the whole Brazil team were class.
    Maradona was the team in '86.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Draupnir wrote:
    the Hand of God goal was a bit stupid alright, but its one of the most memorable things thats ever happened in a World Cup.

..stupid, a cheat, though you could also argue it was very skillful.
    I seem to remember West Germany beating Argentina in the 1990 final with a very late penalty after i think Klinsmann "skillfully" dived!
    As suggested with the Hurst goal, What goes around....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Draupnir wrote:
    Im just glad it was against the English, only they could stay this pissed off about it.

hehe, not a truer word said! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

knobbles wrote:
    ..i think it was more of a case of him making it look easy than the english midfield/defence(team!) making it easy for him.

Surely the most influential world cup performance ever.
    Pele was a genius in 1970 but the whole Brazil team were class.
    Maradona was the team in '86.

Well surely you could argue that Maradona inspired his team. Lets face it, they scored 3 times in the final and he had an assist in only one of them....... :)

Advertisement