Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zen Xtra Volume

Options
  • 14-01-2005 6:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else find the volume on the Zen Xtra very low even at max? Im using other head phones then the ones that come with it obviously. I hear it wasa software limit put on the units for some health and safty reason and that theres a workaround for it but google isn't helping.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

In Europe [thanks to the French i think] there is a limit of 100db on all portable music players that use inear headphones. Its so you dont go too loud and make yourself deaf.

You might be able to install a US Firmware upgrade on it and get rid of the limit thats imposed in Europe. But I cant be 100% sure on that.

I may be wrong though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

An iPod bought from Apple.ie is much louder in comparison. Its annoying when im in the gym and I can hear all the other stuff going on around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

ya you can do that on most creative mp3 players. go to creative fourm

Also, you might want to make sure your headphones arnt b0rked [this might be why are are stupidly quiet]. Or that your headhones are plugged in correctly etc.

There are many reasons as to why it might be playing below normal volume.

Just did the US firmware and it sounds alot louder

• Advertisement

Take a look at this software also if your using the standard Creative Softwre on the Zen:
    http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/

Im looking into getting a Zen Touch myself at the moment.

Winters wrote:
    Take a look at this software also if your using the standard Creative Softwre on the Zen:
    http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/

Im looking into getting a Zen Touch myself at the moment.

Iv seen Notmad a few times but never bothered with it. Havent tried a touch but the Zen Xtra has put me off Creative then again the touch is suppoed to be alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Notmad is a hell of a lot better than that buggy piece of crap Mediasource.
    It's just so less cumbersome to use and it actually works properly.

Makaveli wrote:
    Notmad is a hell of a lot better than that buggy piece of crap Mediasource.
    It's just so less cumbersome to use and it actually works properly.

Yeah NotMad looks good. Dosn't help the volume thing as far as I can tell. Funny thing my Tuncecast II seems to have stoped working with the Zen after the FW upgrade. Still works fine with an iPod. Funny thing is the main reason I wanted better volume was for the Tunecast! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you go into the about menu and there's an E beside the firmware version then it has that volume restriction on it, the only thing that does anything to fix that is flashing it with American firmware. Just be happy your iPod is American, afaik even if you get past the volume restriction on the European ones, iTunes goes and reverts it all back as soon as you synch with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

In terms of future reference for firmware updates and red chair info , chk out

http://www.nomadness.net

excellent faq's and forums if your thinknig of getting / maintaning any creative audio player.

Advertisement