Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M-50 West Link Anti-Toll Campaign.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Done

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Me too .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

'done and dusted' ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Add another one to the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

Done - stupid overpriced toll ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Done (can i do it again )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Make sure to send the link to everyone you know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

done and hopefully they will be DONE also :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

;) Glad to add to this protest/rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Done, and I even got a reply e-mail from Jim Barry the Chief Exec of NTR !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Also done and dusted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Got this in my inbox and my reply is below. Seems the NTR are on the defensive. Whaddya think?

Sent: 25 February 2005 13:33
    To: Jim Barry
    Subject: Re: Shane Ross Seanad motion: Open the toll-gates!

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your response. I have read your Customer Newsletter thoroughly and I just want to clarify my position on the matter at hand.

I fully accept that the NTR is a company with an objective of profit making. As such I understand that it will negotiate the best deal for itself (as an entity) in any charging structure. In this position any company will do the same.

The objection I have is not as such with the NTR but more so with the NRA, etc, permitting companies such as yourselves to operate in such and environment which is basically a monopoly, despite arguments, there is no alternative to the service you provide.

Equally too I understand that queuing the traffic at the M50 disguises another congestion point on the M50 junctions and that a better design is required here to handle the increased capacity.

Unfortunately, the fact remains that when crossing the toll-bridge one must pay to queue; be it at the Junctions or at the bridge itself. This is the sticking point of the objection and the reason for the negative view held of the NTR.

Until this charging to queue issue is addressed I am afraid that clarification on the facts will not appease your customers.

Kind Regards,
    blah, blah

Original Message
    Sent: 25 February 2005 13:33
    To: Jason XXXXXX
    Subject: Re: Shane Ross Seanad motion: Open the toll-gates!

Dear Jason,

I am writing in response to your email concerning traffic congestion on
    the M50. While fully understanding and appreciating your high level of
    frustration with the congestion, the removal of the Toll Facility at
    West-Link would neither materially improve that congestion nor
    facilitate the efforts of the National Roads Authority in implementing
    the M50 Upgrade Plan.

The public debate on the issue has been characterised by an amount of
    misinformation and I would direct you towards our website
    http://www.ntr.ie/news/_Customer%20Information.htm, where you will find
    a comprehensive overview of the issues involved and the plans underway
    to address them.

With kind regards,

Jim Barry
    Chief Executive, NTR plc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

i too recieved a reply from jim today.........
    here is my reply with his beneath it.........names edited

Dear Jim
    thank you for your (AUTOMATED RESPONSE). :D
    i have no quarrels with companys making profit off those that use their services but with the recent increase in the toll charge ,i think it is an absolute disgrace that people pay it,let alone that the company charge it.
    the m50 has, in my eyes become the worst motorway of our country,with people paying €1.80 to sit in qeues of traffic week in week out,and while the innocent motorists wait for something to be done on their behalf,all that happens is the charge goes iup to put more coffers in the already extremely LARGE kitty!!
    surely some of this money could go back into improving the service, which in my eyes is close to extortion of the public to use a public road.
    at present it takes me less time to go over to the other side of the city ,using the long way than using the m50.
    i like others ,will take the long way at every possible chance,so as not to waste money to sit in traffic.
    my hopes are that one day something will be given back to the public,BUT thats all they are hopes!!!
    regards
    a non sucker

>From: "Jim Barry" <jim_barry@ntr.ie>
    >To:
    >Subject: Re: Shane Ross Seanad motion: Open the toll-gates!
    >Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:13:55 -0000
    >
    >Dear sucker,
    >
    >I am writing in response to your email concerning traffic congestion on
    >the M50. While fully understanding and appreciating your high level of
    >frustration with the congestion, the removal of the Toll Facility at
    >West-Link would neither materially improve that congestion nor
    >facilitate the efforts of the National Roads Authority in implementing
    >the M50 Upgrade Plan.
    >
    >The public debate on the issue has been characterised by an amount of
    >misinformation and I would direct you towards our website
    >http://www.ntr.ie/news/_Customer%20Information.htm, where you will find
    >a comprehensive overview of the issues involved and the plans underway
    >to address them.
    >
    >With kind regards,
    >
    >Jim Barry
    >Chief Executive, NTR plc.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Original Message
    >
    >Sent: 28/01/2005 11:44:20
    >To: Jim Barry
    >Subject Re: Shane Ross Seanad motion: Open the toll-gates!
    >
    >
    >
    >Every day we motorists are forced to queue and are fleeced on Dublin's West Link Toll Bridge.
    >
    >On 3 Jan the toll went up 20% to EUR 1.80.
    >
    >I urge you to take immediate measures to remove the toll barriers, relieve traffic congestion and end this rip-off.
    >
    >Signed
    >
    >
    >
    >#####################################################################################
    >Note:
    >This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
    >proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
    >is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
    >please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any
    >hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly,
    >use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not
    >the intended recipient. NTR plc and any of its subsidiaries each reserve
    >the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
    >
    >Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where
    >the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the
    >views of any such entity.
    >
    >Thank You.
    >#####################################################################################

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't really see how the following is true...
    Jim Barry wrote:
    the removal of the Toll Facility at West-Link would neither materially improve that congestion nor facilitate the efforts of the National Roads Authority in implementing the M50 Upgrade Plan.
    There are queues to the toll booth but with the exception of (occasionally) the N7/M50 junction there is little congestion. As far as I can see if the toll brdge is removed or made non-cash based then the traffic gets to the junction at the same rate, just without the long queue!
    Am I missing something?
    Furthermore, how would it affect the upgrade plan? Is it because cars are moving and making it more dangerous to the builders because I can see no other sensible reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Wasn't the WestLink supposed to be given 10 (or 15) years of controlled tolling in order to recoup the cost of the bridge? Somehow this has become 2015, with proposals to extend it indefinitely.

I wonder:

What was the net profit of NTR last year?
    How much money has the toll on this bridge contributed to the state?
    Why was the cost of this not already covered in our road tax, which is among the highest in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Done.
    Come on lads, spread the word around.
    Click the link, make Bertie wobble!
    Don't mind paying a toll, but having to queue to pay is just plain stupid.

Advertisement