Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland A

• 14-01-2005 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

At the moment there seems to be alot of good players on the fringe of the irish squad who cant get a place because they dont have the experience for example leamy, jennings, bowe. Aswell as these there are the likes of Wallace and Cullen who have lost their places. with the A match comin up its a chance for these players to show off wat they can do at a so called "international" level.
    So who would u like to see get a run out, i have a few players in mind but feel free to add yours!
    Leinster:Gissing, cullen, jennings

Munster: leamy, wallace

Connacht: Jackman

Ulster: Neill Best

i know i have missed loads but im sure some of u's will add the rest!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

About time they got the "A" matches up and running again - it's a great bridge between club and international rugby.

Wouldn't mind seeing Payne get a run, though with Dempsey and Murphy ahead of him it may be a while before he has a chance at the big time (though, it only takes one injury...)

I would like to see Jackman have a run, though don't know about Cullen - TBH, I think he has a good few chances, and he hasn't really proven himself at the top level. Wallace should definitely have a run, but when he can't make the Munster team, it is hard to see him make the "A" team.

Bowe would be good to see again in action (though I would think he might make the final squad). He looked pretty confident against the states, where other players didn't. Also, he was the one who got the action started in the 2nd half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Sundy wrote:
    Leinster:Gissing, cullen, jennings

i know i have missed loads but im sure some of u's will add the rest!

Does Gissing qualify to play for Ireland. He was born and reared in New Zealand as far as I know but I don't think has he played for them internationally at any level.

I'd add Aidan McCullen, Brian O' Riordan to the list as well from the Leinster squad.

I'd add Reddan, Prendegast, Lawlor and maybe Stephen Keogh from the Munster squad.

Jackman needs to get a chance as well as do a few of the up and coming props.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

eoin_s wrote:
    . Wallace should definitely have a run, but when he can't make the Munster team, it is hard to see him make the "A" team.
    What? Ok so say if a player doesnt make centre at Leinster because our captain just happens to play there he obviously doesn't have the ability to play on an A team? Wha..?

I'd love to see Wallace getting back into the squad, brilliant player and amazing runner with the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Bowe,Devlin,Flannery,Jackman,Campbell(maybe) and Jennings are all in with a shout and Wallace better be there too - might give Eddie and Alan G some food for thought. Must blood a lot of players. Main Half Backs and Front Rows

Who will they put for half backs - if anyone says Jeremy Stauton i will kick your ass :D

Anyone got times,venues and channels of the A matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Brian O' Riordan?

Isn't he behind O'meara in the pecking order. Does o'meara deserve a shot seeing everyone else in that position is also sub international standard. Wouldn't mind seeing Andy Dunne from Harlequins or another of the younger lads playing at outhalf.

Rob Henderson should be in with a shot at 12/13 in an Ireland A squad shouldn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Connacht center Downey should get an "A" run out...Whenever i've seen connacht play he's been excellent

downey is deadly. big and mean.

Ok i just finished watchin a great day of Rugby and was looking at the Leinster team when i thought of putting together the Irish A Team.Looking to the future as i presume the managers will ( so no oldies ie. Longwell and Elwood ....etc)

Any ideas

1 Best
    2 Flannery / Jackman
    3 ?
    4 Keogh / Cullen / Gissing
    5 Cullen / Gissing
    6 Wallace / Jennings / McCullen
    7 Wallace / Jennings / McCullen
    8 Miller / Leamy / O'Connor / Wilson
    9 Campbell / O' Riordan / O'meara
    10 Ceane / Stauton
    11 Bowe / Horgan
    12 Henderson / Downey
    13 Henderson / Downey
    14 Devlin / Lawlor
    15 Duffy

There maybe a few up and downs due to first choice but as you can see not too sure on the front row please add players where you see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

jonno wrote:
    Does Gissing qualify to play for Ireland. He was born and reared in New Zealand as far as I know but I don't think has he played for them internationally at any level.

yeah gissing now qualifies for ireland and has publicly stated that he would like to play for ireland but realisticly hes unlikely ever to get the full call cause we are well sorted in second row.

on a side note, wasnt jennings in good running form tonite! munster should sign him to play in the centre! ;)

Whats the name of the NZ scrum half Ulster are trying to sign....Best, is it? He is supposed to be amazing, and only reason he isn't in NZ development team is cause of his desire to play in Europe...and of course qualifies for Ireland...i'd slap his name down on an "A" squad so fast his head would spin....and secure his services for good!
    Sundy wrote:
    on a side note, wasnt jennings in good running form tonite! munster should sign him to play in the centre! ;)

Absolutely mate! He's booked his place on the Irish tour this summer with that performance alone!!

• Advertisement

DubGuy22 wrote:
    Whats the name of the NZ scrum half Ulster
    Crap whats his name? Posted it last week. Plays for the Wellington Hurricanes.

Give me a min................

Back its Isaac Boss

When is Keith Gleeson expected to be back in action? He is someone I would like to see return in active duty very soon...

BTW, I am pretty sure that Jackman is a hooker, not a prop - you may have to juggle your front row around a little?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Jackman is most certainly a hooker.

Corrected.(Sorry)

Gleeson will have problems getting back with the competeion for places at the moment.Who are we going to get to prop???????

looks like there could be a shortage of props there - but I suppose that's hardly news...

I dont understand why there is a shortage of good props. Where are all the development players and the U-21 players of times past. Surely they are ready to be played on an A side. No?

Scrum-half and front row look like being problem positions for the forseable future :/

Is there some aspect of our game that can't develop those positions, but can develop locks, flankers and centers in abundance?

Plus...how shocking was Andy Dunne Vs Munster? i didnt see it but heard he was appuling and subbed after about 20 mins??
    Shame...thought he would develop into good enough player to keep O'Gara on his toes when Humphrys is gone. :(

Scrum-half and front row look like being problem positions for the forseable future :/

From what I have heard, there are a couple of promising scrum halves coming up through the ranks, but I can't think of any names off hand.
    Is there some aspect of our game that can't develop those positions, but can develop locks, flankers and centers in abundance?

I think it's just luck of the draw really - it wasn't too long ago where we only had average players in key positions, and now we have world class players in there. I think we have been quite lucky with props in the past, our front row was probably one of the top in the world when Clohesy, Wood, Popplewell etc were around.

Plus...how shocking was Andy Dunne Vs Munster? i didnt see it but heard he was appuling and subbed after about 20 mins??
    Shame...thought he would develop into good enough player to keep O'Gara on his toes when Humphrys is gone.

You didn't see the match? But how can you comment on it? I didn't see it either but he was subbed on the 54/56th minute with a suspected broken bone in his foot. He did miss a very kickable penalty. I hate when people make random stupid comments like the one I quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

take it easy there, my views on his post were that he was asking for other peoples opinion on the game, hence the question marks.

as for the lack of quality players in some positions all we can hope for is for someone new to surprise us all

• Advertisement

Fitzpatrick for the front row in the A squad, Yes/No???

Nukem wrote:
    Fitzpatrick for the front row in the A squad, Yes/No???

I would say Yes, because he has some international experience, but apart from that I don't think he has really distinguished himself a lot. IMO, his inclusion would be just to fill a gap rather than because he is particularly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement