Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income tax and stuff.....Quickish reply appreciated!

Options
  • 14-01-2005 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Hi I have just started work and am being paid by cheque but not receiving any payslips so I can't figure out what I am paying in tax. Obviously I know what I am being paid but employer is not terribly approachable so I would like to figure it out myself before saying anything if anything.. Rate of pay is €10 per hour (before tax)This is part time work.
    Example
    Hours worked 24 so €240 before tax, yes?

Cheque for €196. I am married with three kids, don't know if it is relevant or not...I was told I am not on emergency tax.
    Thanks to who might know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You really are supposed to get a payslip every week. I know it's a pain to bring this up with him. This could be fundamental to establishing your rights later on if anything were to go wrong.

I am assuming that your boss is playing it straight, because he is (a) deducting something and (b) paying you by cheque. Did you give them a P45 or something before you started work? Did he ask for your PRSI number?

Is this the only income you and your wife have this year so far?

I'm not really familiar with the PAYE system anymore, but:

It looks like he has deducted tax at around 20 percent from you. I am surmising, but quite likely he has done this because he hasn't received a statement of tax free allowances for you yet.

If this is not your main employment, he will probably continue to deduct in this way, because the allowances are being allocated to your other employment.

If this is your primary employment, I would see if you can ask your employer in a 'those damned revenue people, have they sent you out that documentation yet' kind of way.

You are quite likely entitled to some sort of refund if this is your only income, so I would try to get your documentation together.

a.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

I am assuming that your boss is playing it straight, because he is (a) deducting something and (b) paying you by cheque. Did you give them a P45 or something before you started work? Did he ask for your PRSI number?

a.

Yep he has my P45 and pps number.

It just seemed a lot of deduction to me and I would like to know how he has figured it out.

I suppose I could invent a story about having to prove income, thereby requesting pay slips, but can't think of any viable reason why I would have to show payslips to anyone else!
    Ideas??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

How hard is it to ask him for a pay slip? What will happen to you when you do?
    If you want an excuse say you need to get FIS Family income supplement and they need proof of earnings to decide amount!
    All the best :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IMO You should also contact Revenue, quoting your PPS and ask for a copy of the tax certificate. They will send one to you. They are very approachable. You can also ask them about your entitlements. You do need payslips for some loans. Some landlords can require them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

is_that_so wrote:
    IMO You should also contact Revenue, quoting your PPS and ask for a copy of the tax certificate. They will send one to you. They are very approachable. You can also ask them about your entitlements. You do need payslips for some loans. Some landlords can require them as well.

Great thanks for replies - I only ask because he is a bit odd, and I feel he might think that the implication is that I am not trusting, which I'm not but that is by the by - I need payslips and that is that.

Advertisement