Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative email address while connected to UTV XL?

Options
  • 14-01-2005 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an account with UTVip XL which I'm happy with (I don't have access to broadband). Anyway, the issue is the utvinternet email account. They are unbelievably spammy. I rang up support to set up a new utv email today and 3 hours later... already I get spam! :(

Now I also use an eircom free email address which is perfect - no spam! I would simply just use my eircom email account but the problem is that I can't send email while connected to utv. I can receive mail but can't send! I use outlook express. I know I could the email webmail version to send mail but I'd like to have a local email client so that I can backup mail etc.

Any advice or is there any other free email addresses that would work under utv?

eircom email details:
    mail server type POP3
    Incoming mail: mail2.eircom.net
    outgoing: mail2.eircom.net

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

http://gmail.google.com

PM me for an invite if you want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I use Yahoo! for my mail. Great spam filter. 250MB space (I never go above 4%). You cannot download it to Outlook or any mail app unless you upgrade to a premium account.
    You also get webspace on geocities.com and access to tons of other Yahoo! services.

Gmail can be accessed via pop3 (Outlook Express or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

ciaranfo wrote:
    Gmail can be accessed via pop3 (Outlook Express or whatever)

Ciaran this sounds like the job. The reason is I like to maintain a offline record of my mail and still send and receive while using UTV. With eircom I seem to be only able to receive.

Thanks! I will give it a go.

There's a lot of people giving out invites, threads all over this place :)

If you don't have any luck gimme a PM :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Outgoing: smtp.utvinternet.com or mail.utvinternet.com
    Incoming: your normal eircom settings

Couldn't be easier.

You need to use the Outgoing (SMTP) server of the Internet provider that you connect into (dialup or broadband).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

iano wrote:
    Outgoing: smtp.utvinternet.com or mail.utvinternet.com
    Incoming: your normal eircom settings

Couldn't be easier.

You need to use the Outgoing (SMTP) server of the Internet provider that you connect into (dialup or broadband).

I have a vague memory of pointing out this to someone before only to be told that it is possible to stick with the eircom settings it you set yourself up for authentication.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

you're eircom account will work, you'll just have to configure it a little differently:

tools - accounts - double click on mail2.eircom.net - click on servers - down at the bottom of the screen click on "my server requires authentification" - settings - enter you username and password and tick the box for "log on using secure password authentification" - ok - apply - ok - close.

It'll work then :)

Thanks Guys! Iano I put utv as my outgoing and it works fine! Thanks all!

Again, I just like to say thanks... small thing I know but the utv email address was a spam magnet (15+ messages a day) even with a brand new address in 3 hours! Utvinternet addresses must be compromised? I do recall that over a year ago they accidently released (or were hacked) of the existing addresses then. But I thought a new address/passwd would stop it.

In comparsion the eircom one (and I rarely praise them) is 99.999...% spam free!
    Curious.... did any of ye ever have a utv address or similar spam issue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hamster wrote:
    Again, I just like to say thanks... small thing I know but the utv email address was a spam magnet (15+ messages a day) even with a brand new address in 3 hours! Utvinternet addresses must be compromised? I do recall that over a year ago they accidently released (or were hacked) of the existing addresses then. But I thought a new address/passwd would stop it.

In comparsion the eircom one (and I rarely praise them) is 99.999...% spam free!
    Curious.... did any of ye ever have a utv address or similar spam issue?

They seem to be having a lot of problems with spam at the moment if you have a look at the news group (news.utvinternet.com is the address for the news and utv.support then) you will see that it happened again this week. Some users have been very annoyed at their solutions.

Incidentally I have a utv address which I use a bit but I have never got spam on it are you sure there is no way your address could leak out?

I should have clarified what I said about spam their server has been under pressure but there are no complaints of people receiving spam.

dub45 wrote:
    They seem to be having a lot of problems with spam at the moment if you have a look at the news group (news.utvinternet.com is the address for the news and utv.support then) you will see that it happened again this week. Some users have been very annoyed at their solutions.

Incidentally I have a utv address which I use a bit but I have never got spam on it are you sure there is no way your address could leak out?

I should have clarified what I said about spam their server has been under pressure but there are no complaints of people receiving spam.

Thanks for points. I must say when I did change it... it was only slightly different... eg, by a few letters. Must have been guessed at. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

hamster wrote:
    Any advice or is there any other free email addresses that would work under utv?

eircom email details:
    mail server type POP3
    Incoming mail: mail2.eircom.net
    outgoing: mail2.eircom.net

Thanks!
    Simply change your Eircom outgoing mail setting to smtp.utvinternet.com

jbkenn

Advertisement