Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercenaries

Options
  • 15-01-2005 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭

Anyone play this? It's very good and I'm impressed with it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Aye im waiting for it in the post. Looks the business !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Even though I'm not big into the GTA series and this has drawn comparisons with it I have to say I'm really impressed and the way you can work for different countries against each other is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Wow, never heard a thing about this game but I just looked at a few videos and it looks like great fun.

Videos here: http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox/851/Mercenaries/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

might pick it up later on, it has good reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbx/mercenaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920077.asp

Hmmm seems like a decent game alright.
    Didnt knowit was out so soon.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's a bit like GTA meets Battlefield 1942/Vietnam
    The Swedish guy rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The swedish guy does rock.

I LOVE M67's!

Yeah It's alot like GTA and Battlefield alright, but really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

afraid it hasnt grabbed me. while the psychotic swedish guy does have his charms and carl weathers is in it im drawn to the camp of medocrity. identikit low level bosses and their identikit bases, endless respawning dprk troops, endless blad terrain, horrible although pretty volumetric fogging(along with the other beautiful pandemic enviroment effects) and most heinous of crimes, a totally illogical mission progression system. on the surface it might appear as a non linear tour de force where you can play the different factions off against each other like gta2. in reality its as linear as pacman in a badly designed maze. you can be happily doing missions for one faction pissing off everyone else. complete a random mission and without warning all missions from that group dissapear and your left with only missions for the faction that hates you the most. the problem being that if a faction hates your guts they will happily ignore the north koreans to kill you when you are supposed to be figthing along side them to get back in their good books. this generally ends with you dead and plonked back at the nearest mash with the factions hating you as much as they did before your illogical and unnessicary death. progression becomes a haphazard affair.

that said though blowing **** up is fantastic, the air support available can be utterly devastating and the ways do reducing anything to a pile of smouldering rubble is astounding.

fun but horribly flawed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i got the demo with last months opsm2uk.fantastic game. i expected a lot from it, being from pandemic, and they delivered. some flaws are there alright, but they're not nearly pronounced enough to sour the experience of flattening the korean skyline...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

are you getting this on import, cause i was told it wasnt out till the end of february, could be just the usual gamestop tomfoolery, but i havent seen it anywhere around

Shin

• Advertisement

It's out in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Enjoyed the demo, but boo to the indestructable trees. They wreck the head when you're in a tank

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I gave goblet the tip off about this game, its mustard, and as mentioned is a mix between gta and bf1942, but has its own distinct blend of gameplay.

I'll reserve full judgement until i get a good stint at it.

Trees are indestructable for vis reasons.

Advertisement